Deleting Submitted Assignments

Deleting Submitted Assignments

by Gayle Walbeck -
Number of replies: 40
Hi,

I'm new to Moodle but am doing okay so far. Almost. Today a student accidentally submitted an assignment in the wrong place. I can't seem to find where to go to delete the assignment so that he can upload the correct one. I'd rather not turn on the allow multiple submissions option. It seems like there is probably a way for a teacher to delete a submission - it only makes sense that there would be - I just can't find it.

Thanks to all!
Gayle Walbeck
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gayle Walbeck

Re: Deleting Submitted Assignments

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Gayle - It can be tricky to find. First you need to know the assignment id of the assignment which can be tricky to find. The easiest way I know is from the submissions.php page. On the top of the page, hover your mouse over the title of the assignment and you should see something like:

http://yoursite.com/mod/assignment/view.php?a=2920

2920 is the assignment id. You will also need to know the user id for the student. That is easier to find (especially if you are already on the submissions page). Simply put the mouse over the students picture and you should get something like:

http://yoursite.com/user/view.php?id=504&course=1564

504 is the user id. Now that you have that information. Go to Files and then a folder called moddata, assignments, look for folder with the assignment id, then look for the folder with the student's user id. You should now see the file in question and be able to delete. There has been some discussion of simplifying this for teachers. I'm not sure if an issue was created in the tracker; however, it seems to be a more and more common request. If a feature request exists already in the tracker, I would encourage you to vote for it. If not, please feel free to create one.

Peace - Anthony

p.s. - If someone knows a simpler way please feel free to add it. This was the first thing that came to mind. I'm not sure if 1.9 might handle things differently.
Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Gayle Walbeck -
Anthony,

Whooo hoo!!! It worked and your directions were great.

But you're right... what a pain in the butt. big grin

Thanks so very much,
Gayle smile

by Dan Jeffries -
Just wanted to ask a further question related to this.

How do you delete an 'online text' submission?

One of our students has added some text which has come out as complete nonsense. What's really weird is that when he clicks 'edit my submission' it opens up Outlook Express! Somehow he's copied in some mailto: code, and this has sent everything wonky.

I've tried looking through all the Files, and I can't see any reference to online text submissions.

HELP!

Thanks smile
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Mark Pearson -
Unfortunately it's quite possible to paste sufficient cruft into an online anything such that it becomes unreadable and unaccessible. This is especially common with pasting from Microsoft applications -- the problem lies in the MS app (eg Word) and the solution is to 'save as' text format and then copy/paste.
In practice, if there is corruption in an online text submission such as you have described the only recourse is to have your system manager erase the offending code directly from the database entry. Sorry, but that's the only way out as far as I am aware.

by Mike Smith -
Hi Anthony,
I found your post just now and I am using M1.9 and also trying to delete a submission. Your location instructions seem to have now changed. Would you please update this post for M1.9?
Thanks,
Mike Smith, Brisbane Australia
In reply to Mike Smith

by Anthony Borrow -
Mike - I'm not aware of any changes; however, I'm wondering if you have large number of registered users on the site? There were some changes made to deal with that scenario that may have added some sub-directories (see MDL-8605 for more information). If that is not it, let me know and I will look into the code and see what is happening. Peace - Anthony

by Daniela Bertacchi -
Hi, am using moodle 1.9 and have the same problem: removing a submitted assignment. I read your suggestion but I don't seem to find the folder. I click on Files but there are only the files I uploaded for the course. Can you tell me where I should look?
Or maybe that does't work for online text submissions (which is my case)?
Thanks
Daniela
In reply to Daniela Bertacchi

by Nancy Webb -
I just discovered you can click on Update or Grade in the assignment, and there is an X next to the uploaded file that allows you to delete.  I saved a copy of it first just in case the student argues that he did upload the correct file.
In reply to Nancy Webb

by Paul Ortman -
This is true, but only for "Advanced Uploading of Files." For "Single File Upload" there is no delete option when "Updating" or "Grading" a particular assignment.

This makes me start to wonder if "Single File Upload" should really be disabled in future Moodle versions as "Advanced Uploading of Files" seems to do everything and more, plus there are confusing differences between the two.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Paul Ortman

by Tiffany Morgan -
I agree with you Paul-I can't find any reason to keep the single file upload option-with this exception/caveat.

When you import from WebCT into Moodle using the Migration Module, it pulls everything in as single file upload type. If that could be adjusted so that it pulls WebCT items in as Advanced Uploading assignments, then Id be all for it. While you do ultimately have to convert all the assignments from single file to advanced uploading (and I have yet to find a way to do this en masse), at least you know they made the conversion. That was huge for us when we made the switch.

by Kim Mellin -

Anthony,

...Go to Files and then a folder called moddata, assignments, look for folder with the assignment id, then look for the folder with the student's user id...

Where is the Files folder/icon/menu option? Is it on the home page a of moodle classroom? I'm trying to delete text assignments. I'm using Moodle version 1.9... help... I want to delete all assignments and scores for one particular student.

(see MDL-8605 for more information). --I looked at this but it doesn't seem applicable...

Thanks, Kim Mellin

In reply to Kim Mellin

by Anthony Borrow -
Kim - I am not clear what you mean by where is the Files folder/icon/menu option? On the course page there is an icon for Files that will show you the files for that course. When you say you are trying to delete text assignments - do you mean assignments of the online text type or a file that has been uploaded. My first question is really why are you trying to delete the file? The student should be able to re-load and change anything based on your feedback and you can always adjust the grade for an assignment. Generally speaking, it is to the teacher's benefit IMHO that they not be able to delete a submitted assignment easily; otherwise, the student would accuse the teacher of deleting it and then you have to go back to the logs (depending on how long those are being kept) etc. The general Moodle philosophy is to leave the user in charge of their own data unless there are extenuating circumstances at which point you should be able to contact you Moodle site administrator who should understand how to find and delete whatever is in question. Does that make sense and/or help? Peace - Anthony

by Kim Mellin -
In terms of "Files," I just wanted to make sure we were looking at the same thing. I do have a "Files" icon in the Administration box on the left side of my course home page. For some reason I don't have a "moddata" in this folder. It does show up in other courses.

I have a student who failed the class and now he needs to retake it. When we put him back in the class, all of his old scores and assignments show up-he needs to resubmit different answers to homework now. We thought that we'd get rid of everything he turned in previously to give him a clean slate. We also didn't want the student turning in the same thing that he previously did. We could delete most of the scores/assignments but not the "online text" assignments. Our best solution so far was to log-in as the student and delete the previously submitted online text.

If you have any further advice, let me know. If not, thanks for your previous response...

Thanks,
Kim

In reply to Kim Mellin

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Kim - I *think* moddata is where your students will have uploaded files such as in upload a single file assignment - if your students haven't done any of that type of assignment in that course that might be why you don't have a moddata folder. My understanding is that your assignments are of the online text type, not the uploading file type.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Kim Mellin

by Anthony Borrow -
Kim - The online text is actually stored in the database in the assignment submissions table which could be deleted if you are comfortable with SQL and have a backup of your database. You could try to verify the records by looking at:

SELECT s.*
FROM mdl_assignment_submissions s
JOIN mdl_assignment a ON a.id=s.assignment
WHERE a.course = {courseid} and s.userid={userid}

and then go back and delete the submissions with:

DELETE s
FROM mdl_assignment_submissions s
JOIN mdl_assignment a ON a.id=s.assignment
WHERE a.course = {courseid} and s.userid={userid}

Again, generally speaking I do not recommend making changes to the database directly unless you are comfortable with what you are doing. Peace - Anthony

by Charleen Worsham -
Here is a help file that I created so that faculty can fix the problem themselves.
Average of ratings: Useful (5)
In reply to Charleen Worsham

by Tiffany Morgan -
Hi Charleen

Very helpful pdf-even for an admin! smile

The only thing that hangs on is the last modified date (which shows the the date/time I deleted the assignment) and the summary still counts it as a submission. The good news is it still allows the student to submit a new file even though the assignment is set to not allow resubmissions and the summary is technically counting it as a submission, even after deletion.

Thanks again!

by Adele Weiner -
Hi,

It worked fine and I removed the file. But the assignment page still has a date on it.

There has got to be an easier way to do this since students put the wrong assignments in the wrong places all the time.

Thanks for the help.
In reply to Adele Weiner

by Pearl Alvarez -
Does it still hang on to the date if this were to have been an "Advanced uploading of files" assignment?

by Emanuela Meriggi -

Thanks for the directions they were 95% accurate.

I am using Moolde 1.9, and I was not able to find the same assignment number (the numbers did not match) , but I looked at the date of submission.

Thanks!

Emaneula

In reply to Emanuela Meriggi

by Barbara Trainor -

I'm still amazed at what I don't know after 4 years of using Moodle.  In restoring a course for this year with some students repeating the course, I now find that students who submitted an assignment in last year's course are no longer able to post files to the assignment and receive the following message:  "Submission: No files were submitted
Notes: No entry, Assignment was already submitted for marking and can
not be updated".  When I try to delete the previous assignment using the assignment and student ID, there is no file in the folder.   The previous submission date from the earlier course is visible on the submitted assignments page but no file there either.  I have an archived version so I don't need the old submissions in this new course.  How can I override this so students repeating the course can submit new assignments?

by Evelyn Fruean -

What I do before I set up an assignment is allow students to resubmit. So when a student submits a wrong assignment, I allow them to resubmit. It makes it easier for me, so there is no deleting.

In reply to Evelyn Fruean

by Terri Siegienski -

How do you allow resubmission?

I looked under setting up Advanced uploading of files and I didn't find an option for resubmission!

Thanks for the info on deleting files though, it worked like a charm.

But, as others pointed out the numbers don't match...but the process was correct.

In reply to Terri Siegienski

by Nancy K Hoke -

Hello Terri - Do you mean how do you allow a student to resubmit a draft of a document when they have clicked the Submit for grade button? If so, you need to go to the Assignment, click on the submitted assignment link and click on Grade for the student.  Once the grading block opens - the document is in the lower right of the block.  Next to the title of the document is a button to toggle between Draft and Final Submission.  I do hope that this helps. Nancy K.

In reply to Nancy K Hoke

by Nancy K Hoke -

You can also delete the assignment on that Grading page. Once you delete the document that should restore the student's right for 1 submission.

In reply to Nancy K Hoke

by Raimund E -

Hi Nancy,

could you please direct me to the DELETE links you describe with a little more detail? We just started on a Moodle 2 installation and I can't find them on either of the pages.

thanks for your help!

Raimund

In reply to Nancy K Hoke

by Terri Siegienski -

Thanks Nancy!

I have seen that button but just thought it was for drafts, not the final submission!  That's way easier for deleting!

Terri

In reply to Terri Siegienski

by Aled Williams -

We're running 2.1.3+ here, I'd like to find this delete button too...

Is it still available? Is it theme dependent (using modified Afterburner here)?

Ta

In reply to Aled Williams

by Chris Baldwin -

The workaround described for 1.9 won't be any good for 2.x now with the new file system. It'd be good to have a way of deleting assignment submissions.

In reply to Chris Baldwin

by Linda Harrison -

In 1.9 our staff had got a good system going for them - student submitted a draft to Advanced uploading of files with the ability for student to delete files set to No - once the draft had been commented on and the student had done the work and uploaded it, then the member of staff deleted the draft, sure that the final copy was safely in place - to this there was an X next to each filename - staff and students were happy with this as a way of working . . . but in 2.2.4 it seems the X has gone and students are the only ones who can delete their own files . . . am I right or have we got a setting wrong somewhere that means I could retrieve the ability for staff delete? . . . please!  If not for the version we currently have, is this something that is due to come back in 2.3/2.4?  As this is an all student 'solution', staff cannot be dipping in to the database every time, it needs to be on the mark page screen.

Thanks

In reply to Aled Williams

by Greg Padberg -

Moodle version 2.2.5 (upgraded from version 1.9.x) installed on a new server during the summer. The original install dates back to the 1.6 branch in 2006. Our teachers do not seem to have any means of deleting student assignments that were wrongly submitted. I believe all the settings were reviewed, and the Roles do not stray from the defaults.

The following video shows how things SHOULD be, but do not seem to in our installation:

Can anyone suggest anything else to check?

In reply to Greg Padberg

by Kari Daniels -

Waiting to hear a solution to this problem as well.

In reply to Kari Daniels

by Greg Padberg -

After some further investigation yesterday, I discovered this issue seems to be covered by the following bug reports in Assignment 2.2 activity module:

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-28448 (Teachers cannot delete user submissions - advanced uploading of files)

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-10434 (Simple Deletion of submitted assignments)

If this appears to be an issue for you as well, please vote up the issue in the bug tracker so that it may be resolved!

by Janet DiVincenzo -

Anthony, this method worked perfectly for me, just as you described. Thank you!

In reply to Janet DiVincenzo

by Anthony Borrow -

Janet - I'm glad the SQL that I posted before helped. I generally do not recommend directly manipulating the database unless its really, really necessary and folks should certainly do a good backup first. Also, I wanted to point out that in Moodle 2.3+ assignments are handled differently since the assignment activiy module was re-written from scratch. Technically the mod/assignment folder and code is still there; however, there is a completely rewritten assignment activity module (mod/assign). So folks working with 2.3+ should be aware of the differences. Peace - Anthony 

In reply to Gayle Walbeck

by Petr Kalis -
Hi
Ticket for this issue was closed some time ago with comment, new advanced upload assignment type is solving this. ( http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-5335 ).
But even with this new advanced type you could only delete uploaded files, not delete whole submissions.
Maybe we should ask for reopening this issue an if we will find some people to join... I find this very strange, when you can delete quiz attempt etc but not assignment submission. Maybe there is a good reason for this, does anyone more experienced know?
PK