Course Menu or YUI help ASAP!!

Course Menu or YUI help ASAP!!

by Matt Albert -
Number of replies: 7
I made this a new topic hoping to draw a little more attention. I hope that is not an issue. As you can see from the attached pic I have a major alignment issue going on. There doesn't seem to be anything in the code (css or otherwise) that is causing this. Any suggestions? - fixed this!

Also I am looking to make this more of a true navigation. When the user clicks on the title of a topic section it should go to that topic section and create a select state. The same should be true for the objects/elements under each topic. How does one go about building in this functionality. A good example of it is the royal roads university moodle install here. I need to get this in place hopefully today as this navigation issue is the last hurdle towards landing on Moodle as our new CMS.

Attachment Picture_5.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Albert

Re: Course Menu or YUI help ASAP!!

by Alan Trick -
That's a pretty impressive theme smile

I'm guessing that this has something to do with conflicts between your theme's CSS and the CSS from the course menu. Can you provide a link to the page?
In reply to Alan Trick

by Matt Albert -
I would love to give you a link but the folks in charge of the servers have yet to make the site accessible to anyone outside of the University. It has made this process more difficult. Thanks for the comments on the theme and as soon as I can I will get you a link that works smile

The problem was with CSS as I had a margin: auto set for all tables. So I just made the css call more specific and as you can see it works now.

What I am really struggling with is getting the Tree to work as a proper Nav. From the example in this screen capture, when the user clicks on Course Materials it does not bring up the Course Materials content in the body. It just expands the tree and requires a second click. It is the default function of the YUI tree. It seems that the nodes for the tree are created with the $script variable and I do not see how to modify the default functionality in this case.

The final need is that when the user clicks on "Course Material" it could generate a selected or active state with a css style. Then the same action occurs when the user clicks on any of the child elements. This would be the icing on the cake to get this YUI Course Menu to behave closer to a true Nav. So please any help is needed and much appreciated! smile
Attachment Picture_6.png
In reply to Matt Albert

by Alan Trick -

I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, but if you remove the line {$name}.href = '$url'; it should behave like the YUI TreeView normally does (in version 0.2, it's on line 330). Does that help?

In reply to Alan Trick

by Matt Albert -
Thats not quite it, but thanks. So let say a course page has three topics all with forums or activities. In this example lets say the middle column displays the contents of topic 1. In the YUI menu tree Topic 1 is expanded while topic 2 and 3 are collapsed. What I am looking for is first, topic 1 should have an active or selected state (highlighted in some way to indicate to the user where they are). If the user then clicked on a forum inside topic 1 that selected state should appear on the selected forum. The second item is when the user clicks on topic 2 in the YUI list. Currently the contents of Topic 2 expand but do not appear in the middle column. They only appear in the middle column if Topic 2 is clicked a second time. So the expanding in not really a problem its that it is the only action that takes place. It needs to expand and switch the middle columns information to topic 2 much like a traditional Nav would function. What is the easiest way to accomplish this? Thanks!
In reply to Matt Albert

by Matt Albert -
My course format is based of the topic format. It seems that the functionality that I am seeking is somewhat in the weekly format. So if there is an easy way to switch this please let me know.
In reply to Matt Albert

by Alan Trick -
Also, it might be good to upgrade to the latest version.
In reply to Alan Trick

by Matt Albert -
I believe what I have is the latest version. Where can I find the latest and greatest to make sure?

Nevermind I see the newest version in a new post. Will this new version be easier to provide what I outlined above? Thanks!