Glossary is nearly ready for 1.3 - please test it

Glossary is nearly ready for 1.3 - please test it

by Petr Skoda -
Number of replies: 12
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Many bugs in glossary were fixed after 1.3Beta release (thanks Eloy!). If you find any bug in todays CVS, please report it here.

Some major problems:
  • #1145 - changed case of concept in definition
  • #1366 - concepts linked to itself
  • #1295 - keywords in definition linked to itself
  • #1296 - duplicitous entries not displayed
  • #1086 - problem with simple dictionary format

There are still some problems with Wiki format in glossary - we are waiting for Martin's decision.

Bug #1236 will not be fixed in 1.3 release because it needs some major code rewrite.

skodak
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Petr Skoda

Re: Glossary is nearly ready for 1.3 - please test it

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I have finally started some hacking of bug #1236. I am not sure if the solution will be enough stable and portable for 1.3 sad

Please let me know if you consider this bug important for you.

For developers (especially Eloy wink):
  • The collation (grouping of ascii and national characters) is done using regex queries to database.
  • Database sorting must works for national characters (IMHO should not be problem for most locales).
  • Alphabet definition is stored as "A [AaÄäÁá]., B [Bb]., etc...." - pivot letter and regex separated by space.
  • The solution should be backwards compatible with current alphabet definition.

Thanks!
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Petr Skoda -
Here is possible solution for:
[Bug #1236] - Incorrect sorting of glossary entries with accented initial characters

Instalation (compatible with latest CVS only!):
  • do not test it on your production server!
  • unpack abc2.zip to your Moodle directory
  • redefine alphabet in lang/xx/moodle.php (see comments in alphabet.php for more info)

The solution covers glossary and user listing. If you find any problems please report them here.

skodak

PS: The code needs review and some polishing - I am new to PHP and Moodle wink
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Steven Geggie -

I downloaded the recent CVS code on 5/27.  I imported a new glossary, then  ran an SQL to set fullmatch = 1 for all entries.  After doing this I receive the following error message throughout the course...

Warning: Compilation failed: missing ) at offset 177 in C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\moodle\mod\glossary\filter.php on line 142

I have 472 entries in my glossary with alot of computer terms containing slashes, parens, and other special chanraters.

When I turn autolinking off, then the message disappears....

In reply to Steven Geggie

by Petr Skoda -
Could you send me some sample of your problematic glossary? Maybe I could find some solution.

skodak

by Petr Skoda -
I may have found some solution, see bug #1487

maybe following could work - edit file glossary/filter.php:
instead of line 124:
$concept = str_replace("/", "\/", $concept);
use:
$concept = preg_quote($concept, "/");
$concept = str_replace("\|", "|", $concept);

and comment out lines 184-186:
$list_of_words_cp = str_replace('{', '\{', $list_of_words_cp);
$list_of_words_cp = str_replace('+', '\+', $list_of_words_cp);
$list_of_words_cp = str_replace('(', '\(', $list_of_words_cp);

I do not understand it much, it is rather complicated and undocumented.

skodak
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi some changes has been committed to CVS. I think that this issue is solved now.

Thanks to skodak!!

Please, if something is wrong, reopen Bug 1487 and write details there...

Any feedback will be welcome here, ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Ger Tielemans -

Eloy, what should be the strategy for a production environment:

• I downloaded the final 1.3, I installed it and now you come with necessary improvements like this one?
  • Should I synch my new environment by CVS?
  • should I compare my final 1.3 with CVS and decide which changes I make by hand wide eyes
  • Will you come with a list of patches for 1.3 final like Microsoft always does: 
    • split in vital patches and nice to have?
    • how to choose and run these patches?
    • (I understand that with a normal patching my own changes will be overwritten, so: could a kind of CVS for production environments be set up? )

Something for your tech-meeting?

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This now exists ... you can update from a stable CVS branch called MOODLE_13_STABLE which contains patches only.

More details soon on the download page.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Francisco Gómez -

Hello, I cannot find a file called MOODLE_13_STABLE . I only can find these two files:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/moodle/moodle-1.3.zip?download

http://moodle.org/download.php/moodle/moodle-latest.zip

Now I am using version 1.2 and would like to upgrade to MOODLE_13_STABLE . What vesion should I download?

Thank you for your help,

Francisco Gómez

In reply to Petr Skoda

by Steven Geggie -

I very much appreciate your efforts on the Glossary module.  I do still get time-out errors.  It seems as though it takes a very long time to open the glossary.  Sometimes it takes quite awhile to open the course when linking is enabled.

Any suggestions?

by Petr Skoda -
The linking can be very time consuming.

Things that could help:
  • get some PHP accelerator and optimizer
  • disable fullmatch
  • get more powerfull server

There could be some optimisations of PHP code too, but I am not an expert for it sad

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Steven,

glossary auto-linking speed is affected by some different variables:

- Number of items in your glossaries.
- Speed of your server.
- Caching time.

The time necessary to auto-link your tests is directly proportional to the number of items in your glossaries. Perhaps you should reduce the number of items to be linked (deactivating their "auto-link" variable).

Obviously, the speed of your server is a crucial variable. Differences can be notable!!

And finally, increasing caching time for filters can help to improve things, but the 1st time or when the cache is expired you will notice the slow-down.

As Moodle is evolving every day, I'm sure we'll see some improvements in this area soon (I'm thinking about some possibilities just now).

Ciao smile