Timezone issue on moodle.org

Timezone issue on moodle.org

by John Papaioannou -
Number of replies: 14
It struck me the other day that the time displayed for my posts in these forums is wrong. Although I 've manually set my timezone to GMT+2 from personal profile, the actual time displayed on screen is an hour earlier of the correct one.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Could it have something to do with Daylight Savings Time? It was OK some time in the past, and suddenly one day (relatively recently) I noticed that it had gone wrong.

Should I open a bug in the tracker?

Jon
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Papaioannou

Re: Timezone issue on moodle.org

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
My timezone works fine (GMT+8). If you've switched to daylight savings time recently in Greece then you'll need to update your profile to match (GMT+3). 

DST is different in every country and state, and can vary from year to year ... where I live we don't have it at all.   There's no way to fully automate these changes that I know of.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Maybe there could be some option next to timezone, to tell Moodle that DST is used. Users and server administrator would have to turn it on and off twice a year instead of recalculating time zone.

Some users do not understand adding or substracting from time zone (is it plus one or minus one???) but clicking "Now is summer time" would be more intuitive.

skodak
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
To complicate things, not all areas use an hour!

If you have everyone on your site in the same timezone use this script in your Moodle to change everyone's timezone at once (it's not linked to from anywhere).

http://yoursite/admin/timezone.php

by John Papaioannou -
That has to be it, we switched to DST about a month ago. In between there were the Easter holidays where I didn't touch the site a lot, so it's conceivable I only recently noticed it.

Thanks for the link to timezone.php, I don't need that right now but I can definitely see people coming to me and chanting "must... fix... the... site..." in the near future! wink

The part about a site setting is a nice touch... <sigh>

by W Page -
Hi Martin,

Is this page in v1.3??

I get a
"error 404: File not found" when I try to access it.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Jeff Wood -

WP1

I am running moodle 2.1 and found it.

Can you access your site via ftp and check your admin directory for it?

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Wood

by W Page -
Hi Jeff!

Yes,.
it is in v1.3  I goofed and missed the "admin" directory in Martin's post.  So I was placing,
http://yoursite.com/moodle/timezone.php
instead of the correct path,
http://yoursite.com/admin/timezone php.

Thanks!

WP1

Re: Timezone issues

by Tom Worthington -

Time zones still cause problems for students in 2014, including me. Recently I was caught out by a Moodle system which displayed an assignment deadline as: Monday, 10 February 2014, 05:55 PM GMT

Unfortunately, I had set my local time zone in my profile and the system was actually showing Canberra time (UTC+11), but mislabelled "GMT". I missed the assignment deadline.

Also I noticed that one university I teach at has included a bespoke "official time" block on all Moodle course pages. However, the student can still change the time zone in their profile, which changes the assignment deadline display in Moodle, but not the "official" time display.

Perhaps the time could be displayed with its locality, for example: 7 April 2014, 05:55 PM Australia/Canberra. Of course this is still not completely clear, as daylight saving ends on 6 April in Canberra, so is this time displayed now with, or without, daylight saving?

We could show the the offset on all displayed times ("5:55 PM UTC+11").  But perhaps we should we give up on local time zones for e-learning and just use UTC everywhere?

(Edited by Mary Cooch - to remove reference to Moodle.org- original submission Sunday, 16 February 2014, 3:16 AM)

In reply to Tom Worthington

Re: Timezone issues

by Tom Worthington -

Recently I was caught out by a Moodle system which displayed an assignment deadline with the wrong time. The problem was that I had changed my profile to use GMT+11, but Moodle was displaying this just labelled "GMT".  I reported it to the university technical support, who responded by locking all users to the university's local time. That seems a reasonable workaround.

by Anne Dawson -
does anyone know why my Moodle time is ahead by 15 minutes of the actual time?? Why 15 minutes when units are in half hours???
In reply to Anne Dawson

by Mathieu Petit-Clair -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of MoodleCloud team Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Anne,

Can you verify the time setting on your server? Moodle doesn't "keep time" itself, the server time is used.

If you are on a Unix server (Linux or other) , you might want to ask you admin to use ntp to keep the server on sync.

Mat

by Shn Mb -
Hi everyone,

I still have the same problem. My moodle is on debian, and the configuration is UTC-5, but when I post in forum, the hour is wrong, I have 5 minutes of delay.
In reply to Shn Mb

by roc mehra -

Hi I have changed the time in timezone.php

But when i run cron job it shows another timezone

Average of ratings: Useful (1)