Google Gears - Moodle Gears?

Google Gears - Moodle Gears?

by Ian Usher -
Number of replies: 5

Or even Moodle Nears Google Gears?

Whatever, I may be coming late to the party on this (but a quick forum search says maybe not... smile) but what are people's general thoughts about potential relationships between Google Gears and Moodle?

(quotes...)

Google Gears is an open source browser extension that lets developers create web applications that can run offline. Gears provides three key features:

• A local server, to cache and serve application resources (HTML, JavaScript, images, etc.) without needing to contact a server
  • A database, to store and access data from within the browser
  • A worker thread pool, to make web applications more responsive by performing expensive operations in the background

(from: What is Google Gears?)

At last year's UK Moot, there was something mentioned (by Martin D, I believe) about Intel making some noises about an offline Moodle browser (forgive me if I'm waaaay off beam there). I'm not sure where this has got to / is heading towards...

What do people think about the potential for something like Google Gears (or similar technology) being integrated into Moodle (and before anyone gently slaps me, I haven't looked at the architecture too closely...wink) - of course, the Intel thing might be that, but this appears to be something significant (hey, when it makes a story here you suspect something might be coming...)

Ian (off to blog about this now...)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian Usher

Re: Google Gears - Moodle Gears?

by Tony Miller -
This is pretty cool and I believe i read somewhere on these forums about a similar project for moodle. I just can't seem to find that post now.

Interestingly, however, google presented me with this related post http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=43938
In reply to Tony Miller

by Martín Langhoff -
I'm very keen on seeing GG take off, and do some Moodle stuff w it, specially for semi-connected platforms like OLPC.
In reply to Ian Usher

by David Horat -
Yesterday I was in the Google Developers Day 2007 in Madrid. One of the things they showed us was Google Gears and the implementation of Google Reader with Google Gears so you could wake up in the morning, click on synchronize and then use it with it disconnected so you can read all the feeds and entries and also make things (tag, delete, ...) so you can synchronize it when you are online again.

In Moodle case it could be similiar, so you could synchronize the courses which you want and then use it while being offline. Or if you are a teacher, you could create a course, create or upload some resources and then synchronize it.