"Moodle is undoubtedly the premier open source VLE" - Official

"Moodle is undoubtedly the premier open source VLE" - Official

by Ray Lawrence -
Number of replies: 6

Hold the front page....

See this link for more details.

Interesting article, and the site looks very useful on a brief inspection (can't recall if this site's been highlighted here before, it's all becoming a bit of a blur. (Calls of "Nurse, the screens").

They're looking for case studies from those who have migrated to open source.

Ray

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ray Lawrence

Re: "Moodle is undoubtedly the premier open source VLE" - Official

by Andy Diament -

I can commend the site, partly for its case studies, but mainly for the wide range of teaching/learning materials that are free to download - I found a whole cd rom's worth of material from one project to use in A level physics teaching! Search by subject!

The materials are primarily aimed at school teaching and Further education in the UK (16+ to adult); many are used as exemplars in the Ferl practitioner's program, for training teachers, support staff, technicians and vle developers in the UK FE sector.

Oh, and they pay for good quality materials and case studies (£50 or so).

Someone put a link to moodle on it 18 months ago!

I'm doing an LSDA Q project showing how material (originally written for a WebCT) pilot can be effectively incorporated into a VLE. Such is the proliferation of acronyms and organisations in the UK, it may or may not have something to do with Ferl and Becta... and may or may not end on this site in the summer!

Andy D

Supposed to be on holiday but can't keep away from my e-mail!

In reply to Andy Diament

by Martyn Overy -
Hey,

I gave these guys loads of plugs at the ASE Meeting in January. The appear to have lots of useful information about guidance in setting up VLE's and MLE's . However, until recently, there was not much on their website relating to Moodle. Even at a JISC Conference last year, in Birmingham, Open Source was just an afterthought by most speakers/presenters. How times have changed! Sleeping giants are about to wake up and see the light.....and not before time.

If you are interested, you can download these presentations, and do what you like with them, as per 'Open Source' ..... from www.mywebschool.org/postnuke/ (download zone)

onlinecomm1.jpg

vle007.jpg
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks, Ray! Very nice article smile ... I've put it on the Moodle buzz page.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by elearning edu -
Mr.Richard Brincefield of Global Literacy (moodler) brought to my attention the analysis on moodle with a comparison to WebCT and Blackboard.  I post the link for interested moodlers to go through these brief write ups.
http://www.jarche.com/node/view/199
http://www.cs-ed.org/blogs/mjadud/archives/000556.html
Prof.V.Nagarajan.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

VLE alternatives to Moodle

by Jurgis Pralgauskis -

as it is said here and here @XPLANA there are also
CHEF, Fle3 and LON-CAPA VLE, competent to moodle * CHEF is written in java, * Fle3 - python - more like collaboration tool (not much to do for a teacher * LON-CAPA - perl (and some python) - very robust but also comprehensive (CAPA since 1992, LON-CAPA since 1998). It has lots of science lessons and quizes, worth a look ;)

But they state: Moodle is pedagogically the best smile.

a good comparison of features grid http://www.edutools.info/course/compare/compare.jsp?product=227,182,74,169

ATutor (PHP) is also kind of competitor, just it deals more with content creation.

I still think Moodle is optimal, because it has nearly all (most important) features of other VLE's, but still is quite lightweight, as LON-CAPA from it's 8MB gz.tar produced more than 100MB of scripts and so on (anyway, hardware is cheap..).