Is phpdocs.moodle.org working?

Is phpdocs.moodle.org working?

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Things like the class list seem to be incomplete, and a lot of the pages seem to be blank. Is there something wrong with the system, or is it just that the question bank code needs to be better documented before PHPdoc will recognise it?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Is phpdocs.moodle.org working?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Seems there was a bug, fixed now. MDLSITE-153

Still doesn't make it any more useful though smile
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Great, thanks. Yes, now we just need to start writing more useful doc comments.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Tim Hunt -
Martin's comment from that issue:

Ah, i think the .php in some filenames was making it be interpreted by apache as php ... fixed now by disabling php for that domain (and I updated it to phpdocumentor 1.3.1 and Moodle 1.8).

These will help with improving documentation:

I wanted to reply here because it thought it could do with more general discussion.

Surely, developers are mostly interested in HEAD, so why are we building phpdocs from a stable branch?

In an ideal world, I would like to see would be http://phpdocs.moodle.org/ having the docs for head, and http://phpdocs.moodle.org/1.8, http://phpdocs.moodle.org/1.7, etc having the docs for the various supported stable branches. And all this automatically rebuilt once a day by cron.

Of course, this is not very high priority.

And the other side of the equation is improving the quality of the comments in the code, so the PHPdocs are a useful reference.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Howard Miller -
If I stumble across an undocumented function and I know the answer I add the PHPdocs (well, mostly). If everybody could be persuaded to do likewise.....
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Actually my impression is that most module developers and casual developer would be developing against the stable branches (think extensions to fit into a University).

I hope most of the core developers have enough of Moodle in their head (or a good IDE wink ) that they don't need this web-based reference. tongueout

+100 for more phpdocs on every function, though.