HTML editor

HTML editor

by Peter Birdsall -
Number of replies: 13

After upgrading via cvs to 1.8 beta (we have ½ term, so time to experiment with new features) the HTML editor only allows for code to be edited. Gone are all the buttons etc, and the ability to edit normally. Is this a bug? Or are we missing something in 1.8?

(image example enclosed)

Thanks for a reply from someone who knows more! smile

Attachment htmled1.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Birdsall

Re: HTML editor

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The crud at the bottom is a clue ... I think you may have some conflicts somewhere.

Do the cvs update again and watch carefully for conflicted/corrupted files.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Peter Birdsall -

Thanks Martin, but that doesn't help.

However I updated a number of times today - without seeable errors. After your reply, I downloaded a new version, and used that. Same problem.

Can it be a database issue? If that’s the case then I'll put 1.7.1 back - there wasn't too much action today - and we need to sus it out...

We have been upgrading since version 1.2 (I think) at least since 2003 and the upgrade to 1.7, 1.7.1 went without too much problems... but still.

Thanks again for your time.

Peter

by Peter Birdsall -

Have tested and this is definitely a database issue - we can't upgrade to 1.8 without losing the html editor, - we have download a clean, fully working version, tested it on an empty database to make sure html editor is fully functional, then pointed it to our test copy of the main site.

When upgrading from 1.7.1 to 1.8 there were no visible errors. (All “success”)

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Hi Peter,

did you test fresh moodle 1.8 / editor with standard theme ?

I visited your site http://www.wittenborg-intranet.nl/

and checked your xhtml code with

http://validator.w3.org/

The result was: This page is not Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional!
Failed validation, 139 errors...

That clock at front page is not visible in Firefox either...so could this be just a problem with your theme or some non standard block (like that clock)?

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The HTML editor is broken for me too, Firefox 1.5.0.9 on a Mac. 1.8 beta.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
The HTML editor works fine for me on Windows, Firefox 2.0 and MSIE 7.0, Moodle 1.8beta dated 14 feb. 2007.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
The HTML editor works correctly for me too on Firefox 2.0.0.1 and Camino 1.2a (on Mac OS X).
Moodle 1.8 Beta updated yesterday via CVS.

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I think the idea is a simplified view; however, I think for the user it will be a less intuitive experience. It looks like the idea is that if you want to do something then learn the keystroke; however, I don't really want my users to have to learn more about some editor. I would rather that they learn about what I am trying to teach them. Under admin, appearance, html editor you can check the boxes for all of the functionality; however, they did not seem to show up for my installation even after doing so. But I suspect that the intention is to make them available. I'm not sure if it is something with my installation but it is worth keeping an eye on.

by Peter Birdsall -

Thanks Mauno

Luckily I have a quiet few days, so am able to do a bit of testing and playing around:

At the test site http://test.wittenborg-online.com I used a clean cvs download, changed the theme to cornflower, removed all blocks from the front page, as well as news items and “topic”, resulting in only 1 error on validator.w3.org .. and still the html editor shows the fault editor_78e731027d8fd50ed642340b7c9a63b3.generate(); //]]> - allowing only html edit.

I also installed a new, downloaded cvs 1.8 version, and loaded it with one of the Wittenborg themes – and html editor still worked – so it isn’t the adapted theme.

By the way, at least ½ the html errors were down to pasted code from Front Page (staff publishing news, etc) and the rest were from the theme itself!

Careful conclusion (?) - I think it’s an upgrade problem, and I think it’s related to the database.

What I need to find out, is whether it is a result of our particular installation – upgraded many times in the past years, moved from Postgres to MySQL a of year ago, etc – or if it is a general upgrade problem from 1.7.1 to 1.8.

I’m afraid I am not a php or mysql programmer – I understand a lot and (at the moment) use moodle to facilitate our small institute, but as a business school director don’t have enough time to sort this out (my excuses for not offering a solution).

If it is a problem of our particular installation then I shall hire someone in to fix it (and post the solution for anyone who may have the same problem), however if it’s a general upgrade problem that will be fixed moodle wise, then I’m a happy man!

Peter

Solved! May be useful...

by Peter Birdsall -

Eureka (couldn’t sit down with a beer till I’d tried a few more things…!)

Problem is Spelling!

In the clean 1.8 version database there is no field config/editorspelling

… of course there is in my version of 1.7.1

So I removed the path to aspell in System paths

And hey presto – html editor in “what you see is what you get” mode WORKS!

Even switched it on and off a bit to check!