how to customize moodle interface (remove options)

how to customize moodle interface (remove options)

by vincent Tiberghien -
Number of replies: 21
Hi,

I am trying to set a moodle based  learning system in dakar, and here is what i would like to do:

I want the interface of my LMS to be very simple. I don't want all the functions of moodle to be accessible on the interface.
I would like to remove some options (like the search option, some options of the administration menu, only allow to publish ressource and quizes).
My goal is to make a very basic and quick to understand interface so that it wont be too long fot eh teacher and student to learn how to use it. (We don't need the advanced options anyway).

My questions:
Wich files do i have to edit and modify to change my interface?

Can you give me (or print a link to a web site that explains this) an overview about the strucutre of the moodle files and tell me wich are the important files and the way they are linked together.

Thank you in advance,
Vincent

Average of ratings: -
In reply to vincent Tiberghien

Re: how to customize moodle interface (remove options)

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
To remove some of the stuff on the course homepage, edit these files:
  • course/format/topics/format.php
  • course/format/social/format.php
  • course/format/weeks/format.php
The files are well commented, so you will find it easy to locate the sections you need to remove (e.g. search, recent activity, news, etc.)

To limit the types of activities so that only resources and quizzes can be created, log in as admin and go to Administration -> Configuration -> Modules. On that page you can either disable modules or delete them completely. If you choose to delete a module, remember to remove its folder on the server - otherwise, the module will reinstall itself as soon as you visit the admin page.

Hope this helps,
Przemek
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by vincent Tiberghien -
Thanks a lot for your answer Przemek.
I started personnalizing my interface, and the result is very good.
One more question:

I would like to personnalize the content of the Administration menu on the left.
For example, in the teacher mode, i would like to remove the Grades and Backup options.
I've seen in the format.php file that the function for this is:

/// Admin links and controls
print_course_admin_links($course);

Where can i find this function (print_course_admin_links) to edit it ?

Thanks again for your help.
Vincent.

by Richard Watkins -
I don't know where it can be found, but I would find it by simply doing a search of all the files in the moodle directory for the string print_course_admin_links. They are only text files after-all.
In reply to Richard Watkins

by vincent Tiberghien -
you're right. sorry. i got the file and i'm working on it now.

ÁðÜíôçóç: Re: how to customize moodle interface (remove options)

by Theodoros Themelis -

Hi,

I woulde like to remove some options from Administration menu too, but I can't manage to do it. To be more specific, I would like to remove Grades, Backup and Scales.

I am using Moodle 1.3 beta and I dont understand how to do this.

Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance

Theo

In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by vincent Tiberghien -
My menus are all customized now.
Something else i would like to do:

I would like my teachers or admins only to be allowed to create courses with the "topic" format.
Where should i customize this ?

by Richard Watkins -

In moodledir/course/format there are 3 files called social, topics and weeks (all .php) not sure what side effects will occur (and don't want to try on my live installation!) but I suspect, given the modular nature of moodle, deleting the two files you don't need will have the desired effect.

Make sure you keep them somewhere safe so you can put them back if all goes wrong wink

by Richard Watkins -

Just tried this on my v1.2 test installation (there are social, topics and weeks folders in this version too).

Simply deleted the files and folders relavent to the course layouts you don't want and all seemed to be well. I couldn't add anything except topics.

The only side effect I could see is that the help page for the course format still mentions the unavailable ones. Editing the HTML for this help page will sort this out.

by vincent Tiberghien -
Yep, it worked.
My last problem is to restrict the choices available for the teachers when creating ressources. I want to remove some of the options (reference, web link and program for instance).

by Richard Watkins -

That one is easy (and I think already answered above).

Go to the modules admin page ( /admin/modules.php), there you can hide or delete the modules you don't want to use. If you delete them, as mentioned previously, delete the folder from /mod/ otherwise it will reinstall itself next time you visit this page.

I'd just hide them if I were you. It will be easier to reinstate them if you change your mind later.

by vincent Tiberghien -
Richard, I think you misunderstood me, or maybe i was not clear enough.
I understand that the modules can be hiden or not, but i am talking about the specific module "ressource".
When a teacher creates a ressource, he has to choose if the ressource is going to be:

Plain text - HTML text - Program – Reference –Uploaded File – Web Link –Web Page Wiki text.

I want to restrict these options to:
HTML text and Web link.

by Richard Watkins -

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I've been doing a little digging around.

in /mod/resource/lib.php is the following code:

define("REFERENCE",   "1");
define("WEBPAGE",     "2");
define("UPLOADEDFILE","3");
define("PLAINTEXT",   "4");
define("WEBLINK",     "5");
define("HTML",        "6");
define("PROGRAM",     "7");
define("WIKITEXT",    "8");

$RESOURCE_TYPE = array (REFERENCE    => get_string("resourcetype1", "resource"),
                        WEBPAGE      => get_string("resourcetype2", "resource"),
                        UPLOADEDFILE => get_string("resourcetype3", "resource"),
                        PLAINTEXT    => get_string("resourcetype4", "resource"),
                        WEBLINK      => get_string("resourcetype5", "resource"),
                        HTML         => get_string("resourcetype6", "resource"),
                        PROGRAM      => get_string("resourcetype7", "resource"),
                        WIKITEXT     => get_string("resourcetype8", "resource") );

The array $RESOURCE_TYPE is used later to generate the form drop down.

Looks like if you remove a few lines from here it will do what you want.

by Mark Burnet -
When you are done, will you call it Moodle Lite?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mark Burnet

by Ger Tielemans -

No, "My Little Moodle"

I am wondering which formats you will hide,AND WHY? 

( I only can think of the "outdated" Wiki-format, since we have the HTML-editor. Especially hiding "uploaded file" makes me wonder a lot: for us it is almost the soul of a Moodle course..)

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by vincent Tiberghien -
My "Moodle Lite" is almost kicking.
I kept the Upload file option.
The options available are:

HTML text, Web link, uploaded file.

The modules activated are: Forum, ressources, quiz and assignement.

On the left side menu, i only kept "People" (without the group option), "My courses", and "administration" wich has been customized, i only kept these options:
- turn editing on
- settings
- teachers
- files
- help (i made my own one, the moodle lite one)

In many parts on the site, where forms have to be filled, i removed some options or some chechboxes and list menu.

and it's all in French !

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Paolo Oprandi -

Moodle Lite - great idea! smile

My personal view is that Moodle wants to scale back - lose some modules and blocks and make them plugins - big decision though, I grant you.

We also wanted to simplify administration tasks so we removed the admin block and added a dashboard. For more information see:

http://blogs.sussex.ac.uk/elearningteam/2011/10/31/moodle-dashboard/

by Arul Raj -
i want to display my moodle interface like

divided into three parts. The first column is to show the available courses in a tree menu format.

In the center place i want to display the all related msg .

End of this column for advertiment.

In this i need a help how create tree menu and ad-sense in my moodle interface

by raja k -

sir..,i have to remove the moodle link from the home page...how to done this?

And also i have to remove the internet links from the moodle...?

guide me..?

And i have to change the moodle logo...?

In reply to raja k

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Raja, as this your questions don't seem to relate to the rest of this forum post, I suggest you start a new forum post with your questions.

When composing that new post, I suggest you also clarify what you are wanting:

• Removing the Moodle link is fairly clear request (although I don't agree with that, as I think it is reasonable to include the link to the software you are using on the front page, in return for having downloaded it for free).
  • You will need to explain which 'internet links from the moodle' you want to remove
  • Which logo do you want to change?
In reply to Davo Smith

by raja k -

sir...i have o remove all the external internet links from moodle..?

And i want to change the default "moodle logo"from moodle..?

And help me how to remove an internet link from moodle....?

In reply to raja k

Re: how to customize moodle interface

by Balvant Ramani -

i want to add level option for question and student . how it is possible ?  I mean question type (i.e. easy, hard) same for student level (easy, medium, hard) when they select exam.