Youtube block

Youtube block

by Roberto Chimenti -
Number of replies: 19

Hello,

I'd like to indicate availability of a very simple block for Youtube (and others) ammiccante.

Bye

see demo

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Roberto Chimenti

Re: Youtube block

by Art Lader -
Hi, Roberto,

Looks cool! I am firing up Babelfish Google right now to read about all the blocks you have posted.

Thanks!

Regards,
Art

Update: Read the Italien to English translation.
In reply to Art Lader

by Timothy Takemoto -

Roberto, Art
Where is the download of the YouTube block and with what moodle versions does it jive? It is cool. I want one. Thank you.

The scrolling block on the right hand side of the demo page is pretty cool too. I did not know that such existed.

Timothy

by Monico Briseño -
Picture of Testers
Hi, Roberto. Thank you for this block. I just installed it on our development 1.6.3 moodle and it works fine.

Cheers

Mónico

In reply to Monico Briseño

by David Berry -
And on 1.7. Now I have looked at your code I might even be tempted to create a block myself big grin

Regards

David Berry

by Mark Little -
Hi,

Excellent Block, any chance we can include a config page so any Tutor can add there own Youtube videos into there course instead of changing the coding each time and at the moment you can't have more than one instance.

Thanks
In reply to Mark Little

by Timothy Takemoto -

Thank you very much Roberto,

Being greedy (and perhaps following on from Mark Little, not to suggest that Mark is greedy)
Does it do random (or even sequential) presentation of one of many youtube videos one after the other?
Is there a global configuraton page where, like in rss, one can stipulate various youtube videos, that can then be used on various instatiations of the block?
Yes please...! Youtube is the future.
Timothy

by Simon Clegg -

Hi there Roberto,

How does this differ from just using the HTML block as I have here?

I know that the HTML editor strips the <object> tag. Does your block overcome this?

Thanks

Simon

by Brent Schlenker -
I love the block! Do you know how I can put a YouTube video into a regular web page resource that is part of the course content?
Thanks,
Brent
In reply to Brent Schlenker

by Jake Schroeder -
Hi Brent,
I haven't embedded any YouTube videos into my course (my school blocks YouTube), but I do use Google Videos. Very easy--
1. Compose webpage resource.
2. Click on the the "<>" (lower right-hand side) to toggle to html mode.
3. Copy/paste the embed html from YouTube.
4. (optional) resize the video by changing the "width" and "height" in the embed code.

Hope this helps,
Jake

In reply to Jake Schroeder

by Erik Ringmar -
Hi Jake,

I'm interested in trying to embed a Google video file. How do you do that?

yours,

Lin
In reply to Erik Ringmar

by Erik Ringmar -
Hi myself,

I seem to have stumbled upon a solution.  This works for me.

Embed the following straight onto the page or wherever you want it. Change the long number to fit with the Google video you desire (you'll find it in the page URL of the Google Video page -- the existing number is for "Wal-Mart the High Cost of Low Prices," well worth watching!):

<embed align="middle" style="width: 400px; height: 326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-3836296181471292925" allowscriptaccess="sameDomain" quality="best" bgcolor="#ffffff" scale="noScale" wmode="window" salign="TL" flashvars="playerMode=embedded" />

Please add and amend as you see fit.

yours,

Lin

by Steve Iman -
Looks great. I'm afraid to install though since I'm a newbie and am challenged by the language of the readme. Is there someone who could help with translation? And how does this vary from the module at moodle called "multimovie". I see a comment about this new module not conflicting with the object tag. Does that imply that one might run i into bugs or problems with multimovie? Somehow I'm not able to search and find any bugs or comments about that module at allwink Any tips would be appreciated.
In reply to Steve Iman

by Steve Iman -
UPDATE: I went ahead and tried to install this in my 1.7 module directory but was told that the version.php file was unreadable. Any suggestions?
In reply to Steve Iman

by Seth Dickens -
Hello there!!

I'm just about to install the You Tube block... sounds fantastic!!!!!

I'm also more than happy to translate the Read me file from Italian to English if it's wanted. I'll also happily do any other Moodle related translating from Italian to English (mainly cos I have asked 200,000 questions so far and don't feel I'm pulling my weight wink )

For now I've emailed "Lezioni online" to let them know I'll help, but if any other translations (Only Italian to English, or at a push English to Italian) Moodle wise come up, please feel free to ask me. I'd love to help

Seth big grin

by Paul Nijbakker -
Hi Roberto,

Nice block, I wonder if it could be adapted so that the youtube video can be selected from the block itself instead of from the php file.

Rgrds,
Paul.
In reply to Paul Nijbakker

Random Youtube block

by Fernando Oliveira -
Picture of Plugin developers

This adapted version (http://www.northernlinks.ca/stuff/random_youtube_block.zip) randomly draws from a separate list of youtube videos and also displays a short summary beneath the video player. A working version of this block can be seen here: http://meeting.knet.ca/moodle/

I hope to develop this into a "regular" block (ie. create some kind of UI and allow for multiple instances) sometime this summer.. unless someone else gets to it first (please feel free to run with it smile).

In the meantime, it's still a rough hack but it does the trick. To install: drop the "youtube" directory into your moodle/blocks/ directory and the vid.inc into the main moodle/ directory. To use: edit the vid.inc by copying the urls from your favourite youtube videos followed by a summary (which you can create or just copy from the video description). The included vid.inc file contains a list of the videos being showcased on our site... just delete and create your own list using this format.

Note: I haven't tested this block outside of Moodle 1.5. Use at your own risk.

Cheers,

Fernando