CMS integrations: Extensions to CMS plugin

CMS integrations: Extensions to CMS plugin

by Gustav W Delius -
Number of replies: 57
Here at the Department of Mathematics at the University of York we have moved our entire departmental website over to Moodle last week. The content is now handled by Janne's CMS plugin. I did however extend the plugin a bit. In no particular order:

1) There are now some tags that can be used in content pages and that are replaced by dynamic content when the page is rendered:
  • TOC prints a Table of Contents, i.e., the list of all child pages of the current page.
  • INCLUDE url includes the page with URL url at this location in the current page.
  • SCRIPT url is like INCLUDE url except that relative links in the included page are interpreted relative to the current page, not the included page.
  • PAGE pagename includes the contents of another page in the CMS at the current location. This is useful if one has several pages which share common material.
2) Pages now can have names (which allows us to have URLs like http://maths.york.ac.uk/www/Research)

3) Pages have a new option "Show in menu" which determines whether they will be shown in the menu.

4) Pages have a new option "Show all blocks". If this is not chosen then the right blocks are hidden when a context page is shown. This allows for wider content on some pages.

5) For editing teachers the pages have an editing toolbar with icons for "Edit, Add child page, Page history, Delete, so that most editing task can be done straight from there without having to go to the cms administration page.

6) The page history table now also shows the modified date for each revision.

7) The cms plugin can be used also when the course is not put into CMS format. In other words one can have the usual weekly or topics format and have the CMS block and content in addition.

8) If one does not need the CMS format but only the CMS block then one does no longer have to modify any core Moodle code.

9) For sites with a lot of pages the reordering of pages used to take very long because after each step the whole list of pages needed to be reloaded. To avoid this there now is a little reorder tool that only shows sibling pages.

10) The CMS plugin now populates the breadcrumb trail.

Janne, do you want me to commit the extended version to CVS?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gustav W Delius

Re: CMS integrations: Extensions to CMS plugin

by Janne Mikkonen -
YES, Yes, yes, yes and yes and once more yes.

One of my original ideas was that the plugin should have roles enabled that would give admins or teachers a choice to give editorial and/or publishing rights for non-teacher users. I think is going to be the next major feature to implement.

- Janne -
In reply to Janne Mikkonen

by Gustav W Delius -
I have committed my changes. I have increased the release number to 1.1. Janne, I hope that is alright.

The main advantage of version 1.1 for most people will be that
1) the CMS block can be used in all courses no matter what course format they have
2) the installation is almost automatic, no need to hack core moodle files, unless you need the CMS course format.

Here are the new installation instructions:

Installation:
====================================================================================

Installation of the CMS block is mostly automatic. The installation of the
CMS course format on the other hand requires some manual changes to your core
Moodle files and is described in the main README.txt

To install the CMS block:

1) copy the three folders blocks, cms, lang into your moodle directory.
   Folders with the names blocks and lang should already exist there, copying
   the new folders will only add files to the existing folders.

2) Visit your cms admin page which will install the plugin.
   If your installation is at http://mysite.org/moodle for example then you have
   to point your browser at http://mysite.org/moodle/cms

That's it. You can now add the cmsnavigation blocks to your courses and set
them up by clicking on the edit icon on the block's header. The first thing you
will want to do is set up menus and add pages.

You could help by adding to the documentation at http://docs.moodle.org/en/CMS

by Gustav W Delius -
One thing that I should stress: please back up your existing cms tables before upgrading to version 1.1 to be safe in case something goes wrong. (I just found a bug in the upgrade script which is however now fixed.)

by Art Lader -
In reply to Art Lader

by Art Lader -

No, I guess it is here - http://moodle.cvs.sourceforge.net/moodle/contrib/cms_plugin/cms/?hideattic=0

Hmmm... Does the sourceforge site generate a zipped version?

-- Art

In reply to Art Lader

by Gustav W Delius -
Art, a new zip is created atomatically once every 24 hours (I am not sure at what time exactly).

by Art Lader -

Thanks, Gustav,

I guess it would be here - http://download.moodle.org/download.php/modules/cms_plugin.zip ?

-- Art

In reply to Art Lader

by Art Lader -

Wow, this is great. smile

Just two issues, though:

1. Now that I am using the CMS plug-in with Moodle 1.6.2 (2006050520), my sidebar blocks have vanished and I cannot make any more.

2. My Moodle is telling me that there is no book module available.

Both issue disappear when I turn off the CMS plugin.

Weird, huh?

-- Art

In reply to Art Lader

by Michael Winter -

Art,

Not sure about the book module but the sidebars are an option when you make a CMS page. There is a box below where you put your content when creating a page that says "Show all Blocks" make sure this is ticked. It is unticked by default. Makes it possible to have a wider CMS page.

In reply to Michael Winter

by Art Lader -

Thanks, Michael. I should have thought of that.

-- Art

by Janne Mikkonen -
Hi Gustav,

Very nice work approve Revision increment is Ok. I'm creating a small fix for block_cmsnavigation.php to get plain id based pages to work properly again without path as parameter.

- Janne -

by Janne Mikkonen -
Ok, the change is now in cvs.

As the path information is already present in navidata array, we can use it to generate needed path ( without iterating ).

- Janne -

by Michael Winter -

Thanks Gustav/Janne I look forward to having a look at this. I am same as Art is there a direct link to a zip as I don't use CVS ?

Michael

by Michael Winter -

Installed and tested some of the new features and found a few problems.

When adding Table of contents the links come up in this format

http://sitename/70

rather than

http://sitename/cms/view.php?page=66

So the links come up dead.Does that make sense ? If not let me know and I will take some screenshots.

Also down the bottom of every page is lastmodified

When going to http://sitename/cms the version still comes up as 1.0b which is minor but may be just a simple fix.

If it is just mine then let me know how I can fix it.

I did an upgrade from Jannes 1.0b and just added the lang, cms and block files as well as replacing index.php in root and lib.php ...not sure if I needed to do this but instructions are unclear with these files.

by Gustav W Delius -
Dear Michael, thanks for reporting these problems.

I have fixed the links in the table of contents. This is now in CVS.

The missing lastmodified string is a bit strange. I checked in the current version of lang/en_utf8/cms.php and the string is there.

The fact that your version still comes up as 1.0b probably means that you have not yet visited the cms page in order to update your database. Or it means that you got my new code when it was still very fresh and I hadn't put in the change of the version number yet.

by Michael Winter -

Thanks Gustav

I have not converted to unicode yet ...would that make a difference to the lastmodified thing ? I did put the lang file in my en folder...and I have definately been to the cms page as it did all the database setup. I will get the latest version and try it out. It may be a silly question but is there a way of getting a zip file of the versions ? Without using the book out thing with CVS ?

Also another thing I noticed with debugging on is this error at the top of each page.

Notice: Use of undefined constant FRONTPAGECATEGORYCOMBO - assumed 'FRONTPAGECATEGORYCOMBO' in C:\moodle\index.php on line 183

by Gustav W Delius -
Michael, I simply hadn't bothered to update the language files in the lang/en directory. I think you should be able to simply put the files from lang/en_utf8 into lang/en and it should work.

There certainly is a zip file, simply go to the database of Moodle modules and plugins.

by Andrea Bicciolo -
Just tested the CMS plugin and I must say it is the feature I ever wished to have in Moodle. Great work Janne and Gustav! approve

Three questions for you:
  1. in Moodle version 1.5.4+, i get the lastmodified string on every page. The language strings are in place. Shouldn't lastmodified print the last modification date?
  2. in Moodle version 1.6.x, installation requires a rename of some files. Wouldn't be possible to take advantage of the $CFG->customscripts variable to keep the setup even easier? People would be able to enable or disble CMS course format at will just commenting out the customscripts variable.
  3. in Moodle version 1.5.4+ I'm unable to get the CMS block working unless the course format is seto to CMS. Is this intentional?
Thanks for this great plugin!
Andrea
In reply to Andrea Bicciolo

by Gustav W Delius -
Hi Andrea,

the lastmodified should indeed be replaced by a string printing the modification date. I had added the new strings only to lang/en_utf8/cms.php because I had forgotten that Moodle 1.5 still uses lang/en/cms.php. I have fixed that just now in CVS. All you have to do is copy the file from lang/en_utf8/cms.php over to lang/en/cms.php.

Your idea of using $CFG->customscripts to realise the CMS course format sounds very good. Would you have time to implement that? I think you know most about how that mechanism works.

About the CMS block not working unless the course format is set to the CMS format. This was the behaviour in version 1.0 of the CMS plugin. In verion 1.1 we are using the block independently of what course format is chosen. This shouldn't really depend on the version of Moodle, although I must admit that I have never tested anything with Moodle 1.5. What do you mean by "unable to get the block working"? Is it not showing up?

by Andrea Bicciolo -
Gustav,
thanks for the reply. The lastomodified string doe apperas in 1.5.4, I think it is due to an obsolete language file. I'll rplce it with the one inside /en_utf8. Didn't figured it.

Customscripts: I'll try, shouldn't be so hard (at least I hope). Woudn't be possible to split the CVS contrib with cms_plugin.16 and cms_plugin.15? Moodle 1.5 does not have the customscript facility.

Unable to get the block working: well, the block works (it appears with the associated menu), but no cms content page is showed when clicking on the menu items. This happen in 1.5.4+ (not tested in 1.6.x).

Andrea

by Gustav W Delius -
Hi Andrea,

I think it would be a good idea to have separate branches for the different Moodle versions in contrib, just as they exist in the main repository. I had suggested that before without success, I will ask about this again in the developer forum.

If no page opens when you click on the link in the menu, is that because the menu has incorrect urls in its links? What are they?

by Andrea Bicciolo -
Gustav,
seen your post. In the meantime what about splitting the folders in the current CVS contrib?

About no pages, the CMS menu block I believe has correct link to pages since it works when the format is CMS course. It stops working when the format is changed to something else than CMS (1.5.4+).

by Gustav W Delius -
Hi Andrea,

creating two folders in CVS, one for 1.5 and one for 1.6, is not so ideal because it makes it harder to merge changes from one into the other. But it would be the way we have to go if the request for branching in contrib is not granted.

About the problem with the menu block not working when the course is not in CMS format: are you perhaps talking about the site course? The code is indeed written in such a way that if you have hacked your index.php so as to introduce the option of a CMS frontpage format then the block will not work unless you actually use that format. After all, why would you bother to hack your code to introduce the front page format if then you are not going to use it? In courses however the block should really work independently of the chosen course format.

The bit of code that is a the origin of this is in the function construct_tree_menu():

// If the admin has hacked the core Moodle code then he will want the links
    // to point to the site index.php page for site pages
    $baseurl = (($navi->course == SITEID) and defined('FRONTPAGECMS'))
        ? $CFG->wwwroot.'/index.php?pid='.$navi->pageid
        : $CFG->wwwroot.'/cms/view.php?page='.$navi->pagename;

by Andrea Bicciolo -
Gustav,
I agree the folder splitting is not so good, it was just to have the versions separated.

About the CMS Format, yes it was the front page course I was dealing with. Now it is clearer, I considered the Front page course to behave like all the other courses, and this was the origin of my troubles.

by Andrea Bicciolo -
Gustav,

I added the customscript feature to the CMS plugin. Download form here.

Prerequistes: Moodle 1.6.1 or later (NO 1.5 or 1.6)

Setup:
1. unzip on your Moodle root folder
2. in config.php, edit $CFG->customscripts to point your customscripts folder. You can either leave as it is (root folder of moodle) or move it anywhere, so you can add this scripts to your existing customscripts folder
3. visit the yourmoodle/cms URL location
4. That's it!

Downside:
Custom admin/site.html does not work, since it does not include config.php. Instead of having to manually replace the admin/site.html, would it be possible to add a "CMS admin" link on the bottom of the CMS block?

I've commented out the first line of customscripts/index.php, where a check forthe existence of config.php is made. It is only due to my fault on getting it works when the files to check are one folder up.blush

About the hack of lib.php, would it be possible to create a script that adds the CMS functions only? or it is a deep hack that make it impossible?

by Gustav W Delius -
Hi Andrea, many thanks for doing this. I hope to find time on the weekend to look at this and hopefully to incorporate it into the CVS version.

by Andrea Bicciolo -
Gustav,
thanks for testing it. Someone reported a problem with the home page course I'm not able to reproduce (doubled body content).

About the first downside reported on my previous post (customscripts/admin/site.html not working) a workaround could be the inclusion of the standard admin/site.php into customscripts/admin/. However it is a bare duplication of code, not very elegant indeed.

by Doug Cullen -
Andea

Just install the CMs plugin via the customscript using 1.7 beta and I am getting the double home page also.  You can see it at m17.gcmarhsall.org.  Visiting the /cms page reports SQL table obsolete, so I am guessing the change to 1.7 broke something.

I just renamed the index.php file in the customscripts dir.  Double content is gone, but no CMS block, etc (no CMS with the customscript running either)
In reply to Doug Cullen

by Andrea Bicciolo -
Doug,
I think CMS plugin is not ready for 1.7. About the double content index page, please try to:
1. copy the standard admin/site.php into customscripts/admin
2. select the CMS format plugin for the front page (Admin->Site settings)
3. add a CMS plugin default page with some content
4. please post if the double page is gone!

by Doug Cullen -
Thanks Andrea, Gustav and Janne

The CMS plugin is GREAT.  I have it working fine for 1.62 using the customscript.   Hope it makes the transition to 1.7   The double content issue only occurs on my 1.7beta site (along with the SQL errors)

I have a small problem to work on yet.  Adding the CMS seems to have made the left blocks column really wide (248 pix vs 182 for same theme on non modified site.). At least I think it happen when I added the CMS Block.  Removing the block doesnt reset it.   Can I reset the width?
In reply to Doug Cullen

by Doug Cullen -
I've just verified that the change in left block width is related to adding a CMS naviagation block to my site course. Any pointers on where I can make that change. Fresh install 1.6.3+, Left block is 182 pix wide.  Install CMS plug and no change.  Add a CMS navigtion block to the Site page and bam - left block is 248 pix wide.  Looking the index.php in the customscripts directory I see the BLOCK_L_MAX_WIDTH = 210 etc.  is this being overriden elseware?

Thanks in advance

Doug
In reply to Doug Cullen

by Gustav W Delius -
Doug, if you are saying that the blocks on your CMS pages are wider than on ordinary course pages then that is my fault. I set the max width to higher in cms/view.php. The reason for that is that I have it wider on all pages and I just forgot to put it back to its normal Moodle setting before committing the file. I have now fixed that in CVS.

Width of blocks on CMS pages

by Gustav W Delius -
Another reason why the CMS block is so wide are the lines

function preferred_width() {
// The preferred value is in pixels
return 240;
}

in blocks/cmsnavigation/block_cmsnavigation.php. In spite of this preferred width the block will not be wider than the maximum width which Moodle currently sets to 210px.

I should really have made this preferred width a configuration setting for the block.

Απάντηση: Extensions to CMS plugin

by aggelos panagiotakis -
Can you give an example for each of these shortcats?
  • INCLUDE url includes the page with URL url at this location in the current page.
  • SCRIPT url is like INCLUDE url except that relative links in the included page are interpreted relative to the current page, not the included page.
  • PAGE pagename includes the contents of another page in the CMS at the current location. This is useful if one has several pages which share common material.
TOC - understood smile

Is there any way to add in these CMS pages moodle resources or moodle activities?
that would be wanted a lot! i really like your work guys! keep up!

In reply to aggelos panagiotakis

Re: Απάντηση: Extensions to CMS plugin

by Michael Winter -

Hi Janne, Gustav

I have a strange problem. I had a site that was 1.5.3 with an older CMS and have upgraded to Moodle 1.6.3+ from yesterday (19-10-06) and to the latest CMS from the Modules and Plugins Database. All the upgrades went fine with no erros at all but now when I am logged out of the site everything is fine but as soon as I log in all the CMS disappears. So the menu is still there and you can go to all pages but nothing is shown in the middle. The images below show it better.

Weird thing is this is only happening on the main page. I also have a course set up with CMS and that is fine logged in or out. Any Ideas ? The only other strange thing which is most likely nothing to do with it is in the database mdl_cache_text is huge ...its 260mb

I am running it on the specs below

Moodle 1.6.3 (2006050530)
MYSQL 5.0.22
PHP 5.1.2
Window 2003 IIS 6

Click to enlarge
Logged Out

Click to enlarge
Logged In

by Gustav W Delius -
Michael,

I assume you did some hack to your index.php when installing the CMS plugin for your 1.5 Moodle. After upgrading to 1.6 you have to make a different hack to index.html.

In your site settings you can separately specify what the site page should look like for logged in users and for not-logged in users. Are you sure that you have chosen to show CMS content in both? You will only be able to choose to show CMS content after you have made the hack to index.php.

by Charlene Barina -
Hi,

I have the same issue - and I was wondering if you could be more specific as to "fixes"? I upgraded from 1.5.3 to 1.6.1 and I hadn't ever used this plugin until I upgraded. The CMS shows up unless I'm logged in, essentially. This isn't the root site - and there is some info in the .htaccess file to redirect to another (drupal-based) cms. Our ultimate goal is to move all the cms components to the moodle site and get rid of the old drupal site. Where in site settings can I verify the site page settings for logged in vs not?

Url: http://www.electroniclibrarian.org/moodle

Anyone can register...
In reply to Charlene Barina

by Andrea Bicciolo -
Charlene,
the problem you mention occurs since you are probably using Moodle 1.6.3, while the home page CMS plugin hack is specific to Moodle 1.6.1.

The difference among Moodle 1.6.1 and 1.6.3 creating problems after the login is in the site settings: 1.6.1 allows the selction of one type front page layout while 1.6.3 allows for selections of two front page layouts: before the login and after the login.

Since there is currently no way to select CMS layout after the login, you will get a blank page. It is needed to apply a new hack to index.php in the CMS plugin.

by Michael Winter -

Gustav,

Yes originally I used a hacked Index.php and when reinstalling with this latest version I used the index.php you made for 1.6.1 ...Should I be using something different ?

Do you have the code I need to change in the 1.6.3 index.php ? I have not got that setting you talk about and now that I think of it its probabily beacuse I am using an old version of that file.

Can you lead me to either a hacked 1.6.3 index.php or the code I need to change ?

Thanks

Michael

Re: Απάντηση: Extensions to CMS plugin

by Gustav W Delius -
You can include moodle resources and activities in the CMS pages because you can include course sections in them. Janne has explained this in the file sections.txt that comes with the plugin.

I do intend to give more documentation of these tags that you are asking about at some point on pages in MoodleDocs. If you click on the "Watch" tab on the page http://docs.moodle.org/en/CMS then you will be notified once someone gets around to improving the documentation.

by Manish Verma -
Gustav,

It seems that the URL http://maths.york.ac.uk opens a page inside Moodle. I was wondering how you did it. Initially I thought that Moodle was installed in the main site (I mean not in a folder) but then I noticed the URL http://maths.york.ac.uk/moodle . Installing Moodle in a folder makes sense as it is easy to upgrade it and is independent along with other files of the site. But if it were to act like a CMS then it should open in the main domain without using redirection feature. Also I was wondering that the pages in your site that I have mentioned (I mean the two URLs) look almost identical. Won't it have any adverse effect on search engine rating as search engines do not like identical pages?

Is it possible that the main page of the site contains x no. of blocks (like RSS feeds etc.) but the pages inside contain y no. of blocks ($$x\neq y$$)?

Manish.
In reply to Manish Verma

by Gustav W Delius -
Dear Manish,

we use apache as our sever and do a lot of URL redirecting and rewriting using mod-rewrite.

As regards to changing the number of blocks after login. The way we did that is that we hacked the code of the blocks that we did not want to be shown to non-logged in users so that the block is empty when the user is not logged in.

I have not worried too much about the Google search rankings but perhaps I should. Thanks for the hint.

Απάντηση: A minor bug in the Extensions to CMS plugin

I really like CMS Plugin and i think it should be added to the standar moodle!
I encounter a few a errors with the CMS Plugin.
  • TOC prints a Table of Contents, the list of all child pages of the current page even if one or more pages are hidden[not published] . This should change, to work as the block that shows the menu , because they are not ready to be shown!
  • In the menu editing page when selecting multiple pages and clicking the Delete button it just deletes one page.Can this change?
  • I also have serius errors if i use the greek language for a page name value or parent page value.
  • I also think that the parent page should be displayed in a drop down box for us to select!

I will try to fix some of these problems! just wanted a guidance on how to do it.
Thank you anyway !

Απάντηση: A minor bug in the Extensions to CMS plugin

a fix for the problem i reffered earlier:
"TOC prints a Table of Contents, the list of all child pages of the current page even if one or more pages are hidden[not published] . This should change, to work as the block that shows the menu , because they are not ready to be shown!"

is to change the function cms_print_toc in the file [your moodle dir]/cms/cmslib.php with this one:
function cms_print_toc($pid) {
global $CFG;
$return = '';
if ($navidatas = get_records('cmsnavi_data', 'parentid', $pid, 'sortorder ASC')) {
$return .= '<ul>';
foreach ($navidatas as $navidata) {
if ($navidata->showinmenu) {
$page_is_published = get_record_select("cmspages", "id=$navidata->pageid", "publish");
if ($page_is_published->publish)
$return .= '<li>'.$page_is_published->publish.'<a href="'.$CFG->wwwroot.'/cms/view.php?page='.$navidata->pagename.'">'.$navidata->title.'</a></li>';
}
}
$return .= '</ul>';
}
return $return;
}

Re: Hacked 1.6.3 version of CMS

by Michael Winter -

Can anyone help me with a hacked version on the 1.6.3 index.php ? Even just the code I need to change would be great. So I can get the CMS working when logged in.

Thanks

Michael

by Janne Mikkonen -
Here's mine.

Απάντηση: Re: Hacked 1.6.3 version of CMS

does your moodle 1.6.3+ work nice with the cms plugin?
i have many problems with the HTML Editor as it adds many slashes and some things %2%3 to URLS and quote;quote;quote;quote for "" ;
! also it sends me to the main page after editing anything!
It's very annoying to use all the time the navigation box to go back to see the results after editing whatever.
If yours works fine can you give me files for 1.6.3+ ?

Thank you very much!

Re: Απάντηση: Re: Hacked 1.6.3 version of CMS

by Craig Hiebert -
Anyone find a solution to this? Is this even a CMS plugin problem, or is it a wider problem?

I also just upgraded/updated a test site to 1.6.3+, latest non-CVS version of the CMS plugin. I'm pretty sure that the HTML editor is only exacerbating a more basic problem: if you disable the HTML editor, then edit a CMS page, you'll see that things like single and double quotes are 'escaped' in the resulting text area with backslashes. Then save, and edit again, and even the backslashes are escaped - so you get an exponential increase in the escape characters.

So, is it a problem with the HTML editor, or with the CMS plugin, or with the way the two interact?

by Michael Winter -

Thanks Janne...would it be too much to ask for your admin/site.html and course/lib.php for 1.6.3+ ?

Thanks

Michael

As site administrator when you are on a "cms plugin page" i have a "corupted" administration side block ? clicking on some link in it sents to ex.
/cms/edit.php?id=2
instead of
/course/edit.php?id=2
i also encounter many problems with the redirects after editing a page. it sends me to the main course page(course/view.php?id=xxx) instead of the page that was edited (cms/view.php?page=xxx) .Any ideas on how to fix all these?

by Khalid Alghamdi -

I installed the CMS plugin on moodle 1.7

I have only an empty menu, and all other things are not displayed .

any help?

thanks

by Michael Penney -
This is great Gustav and Janne, we've done a few websites with the CMS format & users generally like it (we've tried Postnuke, Drupal, Xaraya, etc. here and so far the CMS format has been much easier for non-tech. users to learn). Any plans to add Backup and Restore?

Did you see Sam Marshall's recent post about improving the modularity of course formats?
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=58094

New motto?

"Moodle, it's not just for courses, anymore"smile>
In reply to Michael Penney

by Mek Kyong -
I installed the CMS plugin on moodle 1.7 ... i can create menus, but all of them were not displayed ... any help?

thanks

In reply to Mek Kyong

by Ger Tielemans -

When a version for 1.7 will be available, it would be nice to have also the option to place a CMS-block on category level (we now have course and frontpage version.)

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Mek Kyong -

hope it will be available soon, am eager to have a working one

CMS pages not work

by Giang Khuong -
Hi,
I installed CMS block on Moodle v.1.7. I created menus, pages but when I click the TOC, instead of CMS page, it only show the default page. Can anyone help me?
Thanks.