Moodle in secondary schools

Moodle in secondary schools

by Jem Shackleford -
Number of replies: 18

I am doing some research into ways in which Moodle can improve motivation in older school students (16-18 years old). Has anyone got experience of this or know of anyone doing/have done something similar?

Thanks in anticipation.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jem Shackleford

Re: Moodle in secondary schools

by Julian Ridden -
While I have not seen or written any reports on this specific area, I would be happy to assist where I can. I have been deleveloping my moodle aimed at secondary school students with the specific aims of creating tools that motivate students to use the system.

I like to think we have a success story here as now two thirds of the college log in daily (and thats from the stats) and the average student user is logging in 4 times a day.

Let me know what I can do to assist you.

JR
In reply to Julian Ridden

by Jem Shackleford -

Thank you for your reply.

You seem to have had some success in motivating students to use moodle (if I could achieve just half your level of daily log ins I would be pleased). I am interested in what modules you have used and which ones are proving to be more popular (if any). What I hope to do by the end of next year is have an idea of what modules improve student motivation and then pass on any findings to the rest of the school. So I would be very grateful for any hints as to what makes your moodle so successful.

Hopefully I will be able to reciprocate in the not too distant future.

Jem

by Andrew Wilson -
Jem, we have been using Moodle in the ICT department for three years now.  The students use it very proficiently. We are gradually exploring its use in other subject areas and the use in 16-18 has been very good in ICT, Science, Classical Civilization and Geography.  We have planned for courses in every subject area over the next academic year although not all will be in 16-18.   I will let you know about use of modules and motivation if that will help. 
We average 2000+ hits per day although this is misleading because this does not tell us how many individual students are accessing the site.  We will have a better idea of this in September.

Hope this is useful

Andy Wilson

In reply to Andrew Wilson

by Jem Shackleford -

Thanks for your reply Andy. As you are expanding its use, Moodle does seem to be having an effect on student participation. Have you, or your colleagues, noticed any improved motivation among students in the subjects where Moodle is being used over those that do not?

I would be very grateful if you could let me know what modules have the most impact as that might provide some backup to my research.

If there is anything you would like to know from me, please let me know.

Best wishes,

Jem

by Andrew Wilson -
Jem, we have been using Moodle in the ICT department for three years now.  The students use it very proficiently. We are gradually exploring its use in other subject areas and the use in 16-18 has been very good in ICT, Science, Classical Civilization and Geography.  We have planned for courses in every subject area over the next academic year although not all will be in 16-18.   I will let you know about use of modules and motivation if that will help. 
We average 2000+ hits per day although this is misleading because this does not tell us how many individual students are accessing the site.  We will have a better idea of this in September.

Hope this is useful

Andy Wilson

by Jeff Moore -
Jem,

I introduced Moodle to our district (6 public high schools in suburban New Jersey, USA) this past school year. Participation is still low but growing steadily. I don't have formal research, but teachers are telling me that students enjoy the system. Word is clearly getting out, as teachers approach me after students suggest that they use Moodle.

Most interesting, and something I want to research this coming school year: anecdotal reports suggest that shy students (and, one science teacher says, female students) may participate in forums and other online social activities through Moodle with much higher frequency than they take part in classroom discussions.

-Jeff
In reply to Jeff Moore

by Jem Shackleford -

Thanks for your reply Jeff. I like your comments on the improved particpation of shy students. The reading I have done concerning VLEs in general, points to a lot of evidence that this is a major motivational factor for those students who do not like particpating in face to face discussions; this raises their confidence, improves their self-esteem and so on.

I want to look at making pre-reading available to students so that they can come to lessons prepared, having discussed issues before hand online, and hopefully sure that what they will contribute will be 'valid' (I hate using that term but I find that many of my students will not say anything in class because they feel intimidated by the more able ones).

If they is any way I can help you just let me know.

Best wishes,

Jem

In reply to Jeff Moore

by Mike Reilly -

Hi Jeff -

Glad to see something positive about Jersey (I was born there, in Bergen).  Also glad to hear Moodle is spreading.

I've just begun our site in my HS in Georgia, and would like to know how it was set up.  That is, I have my own courses on there, but I'm a solo act (AP Comp Sci, etc.).  My next step is to develop the Moodle for our core courses (Math, English, etc.).  I would want to set them up by subject (Algebra 1, Algebra 2, and so on), and each teacher could have one or more classes.  So, I'd be looking at what I believe to be a meta course for the subject, and then classes for each teacher, with groups for each of their groups of students (sections?).

If you're the guy who set it up, great.  If not, could I get the contact of the person who did?  I just want to do it right and not skip something obvious and common sense.

Congrats!

Mike

In reply to Jeff Moore

by Osman Sadeck -

Hello Jeff

I am in the process of doing the same for schools as you have done  - am still in the design phase - is it possible to view your (or one of the school sites) to get an idea of the design used - especially as we have many subjects

many thanx

Cheers - Ossie

by Julian Ridden -

Our success has been through the use of relatively few modules and more about engaging content.

We have moved alot of learning resources into moodle (webpages, word, powerpoint, weblinks and flash learning objects). By providing good, dynamic and interesting content, the studnts have wated to use the moodle.

A second area we focused on was in making our moodle look more friendly and accesable. Ours is a girls only secondary college (aged 13-18) and assuch they like curves, graphical interfaces and passtel colors. So designing a theme that fitted into that mould made early addoption that little bit less frightening for the students.

The last thing we did that has really helped our uptake was turning our moodle into our student portal. As the portl students now use moodle to do everything. This includes checking email, logging helpdesk issues, accessing their novel E-Directory and reading important news.

But to go back to your question of modules we actively use. The major ones are Forum, Resource and Quiz. That really is about it. It's tools like the multi-media filter however that is really helping teachers add exciting content. 

by Sarah Quantick -
I am developing Moodle in my secondary school and have been for the past year we have mainly used it for 11-16 at present with a key focus on coverwork, homework and assessment.

However it would be good to build it into sixth form as well.

I am also linking with a few other secondary schools in Kent.

So would be more than will to share thoughts and ideas

by Patrick Malley -
I'll chime on this one a little late.

I am at the tail-end of developing Moodle for my high school. Last year, I used Moodle in my 9th grade U.S. History and 11th & 12th grade Psychology courses. Word of my success with the software spread to my administration and they offered me full time work this summer making Moodle a reality for all high school teachers.

My experience implementing Moodle for the age-group you're asking about has been remarkable. In my psychology course, I made 15% of students' grades dependent on being active in online forums. I also gave online quizzes that counted for 25% of their grade. The forums kept students coming back to the site (sometime 3 to 4 times a day), and acted as the glue that held my content together.

I posted everything done in class on my Moodle course page. Absent students could review slideshows saved as Flash. Notes, handouts, and links to supplemental readings were also provided.

My students gave nothing but positive feedback on their experience with the online requirement of my class. At times, they complained about having a new discussion topic in the forum each week, but most admitted that they were glad I made them do it. It forced them to discuss things (in writing) that they wouldn't have formed an opinion on otherwise.

The most value, I feel, is when my top students can help a struggling student understand something without the social pressures that come with doing so face-to-face. Many times, students who really got the concepts I was teaching would correct their peers who weren't quite there yet. They were especially fond of calling out students who hadn't done the required reading before posting.

I look at Moodle as the necessary step in my high school. We're boring our students with the traditional school format. We're giving homework that we wouldn't want to do ourselves. Our students live in a media saturated environment that they must sift through for understanding. We should help them do the sifting. We should be teaching them to look at the body of knowledge out in the world and decide what is important.

Moodle does just that. It provides a venue for homework that fits the needs of my students.

So, does it motivate? Absolutely.

by Robert Klein -
i will be starting to use moodle in my earth science course starting this week. It is my first time and my students also. I first need to see who has internet access at home. I will use laptops in school probably once a week nut hope that enough students will have access at home to do homework assignments through moodle. I teach in NYC at a public HS. I will keep you posted as to how it goes.
In reply to Robert Klein

by Richard Schuley -
do you have your site up and running? could i look at it? I have been charged with starting a moodle site for earth science at our school to be up and running by the beginning of next school year. we will be trying to get our "troubled" students to take some of their course work using the moodle model. do you have any links to other moodle oriented high school earth science courses? thanks

rick
In reply to Richard Schuley

by WriteToShare .org -

Hey all,

We have setup a Moodle site for free and open use and we would love for any of you that require use in your school(s) to check it out to see if it's a good fit for you.  If there are any modules that are needed that we do not have installed I will be more than happy to have them installed.

Milan Indru Malkani

milan.malkani@asteio.org

www.asteio.org

In reply to Richard Schuley

by Vinny Stocker -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Rick

You are welcome to have a look at my site www.reviseguys.com which I've put together for my students. Its more traditional science rather than earth science but you might get some ideas about the layout/course structure.

Vinny

In reply to Vinny Stocker

by Art Lader -
Hi, Vinny,

Nice touch explaining learning styles on the front page. Puts the student (as opposed to content) front and center, doesn't it?

Thanks for sharing.

-- Art