Viewlet SCO not speaking to grades module?

Viewlet SCO not speaking to grades module?

by Fiona MacAlister -
Number of replies: 10

I finally managed to import my SCORM after packaging it using RELOAD instead of relying on Qarbon SCORM packaging.

The viewlet loads and plays correctly but does not seem to be communicating with the Moodle grades module.  There is a small quiz embedded in the SCO and the scores do appear at the end of the viewlet.  However, when I click on grades, it shows number of attempts (?) but no grades. sad

The initial problem I had with the Qarbon SCORM packaging seemed to be the inclusion of the API wrapper - the SCO uploads properly when it is not included in the content package.  Should the API be added or is it supplied by the Moodle SCORM module?  I'm fairly new to this so I hope you'll understand if I've got the wrong end of the stick.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me some advice on this as this issue has now become quite urgent.  I'm using Moodle 1.5.3.  This problem is occurring on both Windows XP and my Ubuntu (5.10) Linux server.

Many thanks

Fiona

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fiona MacAlister

Re: Viewlet SCO not speaking to grades module?

by Massimiliano Ritossa -
Hi Fiona, i think API wrapper should be added to SCORM package. 
In reply to Massimiliano Ritossa

by Fiona MacAlister -

I'm really new to SCORM and Reload and am having a bit of a problem - I'm not sure where to add the API wrapper.  If I add it as a resource (which is probably incorrect) the zip file uploads OK to Moodle without any errors and the SCO plays correctly but the API wrapper appears in the SCORM module as a part of the course even if I select 'false' in the "Is Visible" field in Reload.  Is there another way of inserting it?

The other problem I have is that there are two files that need to be inserted as resources - the html file and the swf.  When I launch the course, both of these are listed as part of the course when, in fact, I only want the Flash file to be visible in the course.  I have also tried selecting 'false' in the 'Is Visible' field in this instance but to no avail.

I'm really lost - help!!! dead

by Andrew Hu -
Hi Fiona,

Qarbon and others (Captivate/Articulate) incorporate the API wrappers inside the html templates. When you publish the SCO the api wrapper should be referenced in the header of the html page before the reference to the SCO.
Can you send us an example of your SCORM?

In reply to Andrew Hu

by Eduardo Hernandez -

hi!

I just wanted to add that you can use ADL Test Suite and RELOAD SCORM Player as tools to debug and see how the SCO behaves. This way, you can test and try your SCOs with these tools avoiding the modification/upload/test cycle in Moodle. With these tools you can also track the calls made by the SCO (with Test Suite). With ADL Test Suite you can see if you SCO is calling the right function at the right time. Very good for developers...

Eduardo

In reply to Andrew Hu

by Fiona MacAlister -
Hi Andrew

Sorry I've taken so long to get back to everyone but the weekends are the only time that I have to address these problems - the rest of the week is just a little too hectic.  I've attached a zip package that was produced by Qarbon itself.  I've given up on the ReLoad route, for the moment.  I'm hoping that there might be a simple solution to the problem such as few lines of code that need to be changed in the API or the manifest to suit Moodle . mixed (holding thumbs)

Thanks in advance.

Fiona

by António Vilela -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Did you select "SUM Scores" on the SCORM grading method?

Press the Update this SCORM button and make sure the grading method is correct.

by Juan David Martínez Pavony -

Hello Fiona.

I have 1.5.3 too.

As far as I know, it is no universal mechanism to communicate with Moodle, I mean, in the SCORM world.

When I began, I were using APIWrapper.js and SCOFunctions.js files from ADL. Those work fine. I got time, score, status values.

Later, my course provider went to Macromedia Director and there are templates (javascripts) into HTML pages to communicate with Moodle. We are having no problems so far.

So, I want to point out some clues:

• Did you see any communication between your SCORM package and Moodle? I mean, are you using some debugging? do you see status values (colors) for each item (SCO) viewed from your organization?
  • Do you see any script error? (in the lower left of IE in my case)
  • Are your SCOs setup as 'sco' in Reload? (see my attached image)
  • What about your grading method when adding the package? (see my second image)

Good luck.

Attachment SCORM_type_-_Grading_method.JPG

by John Gschnaidner -

Hello everybody!

I seem to have a similar problem:
I have been trying to get ActivityLocking working with Moodle 1.6; so far successfully.
But I can't work with locks based on a SCORM. I checked the grades and found, even that all scoes have been viewed (no test here) I get a ZERO on the results. In SCORM all viewed pages have been marked with a green tick.
It is all the same as admin, student view or as a student. Points for SCORM are still zero after viewing.
A clean installation without ActivityLocking had the same problem.

My SCORM include the scripts of eXe and are built with the RELOAD editor. The packages I tested are running with Moodle 1.5.3 without any problem; tracking and grades (scoes situation), all is there.

Anybody got an idea?

Regards
  John

In reply to John Gschnaidner

by John Gschnaidner -

Its me again.

I do not know, if anybody else has this problem with Moodle 1.6 Beta.
I use XAMPPLITE 1.5.1 and the latest Beta on an XP Machine with IE for testing.

I figured following:
$grademethod in moodle/mod/scorm/locallib.php, which is a tinyint, is handled with wording like VALUEHIGHEST. but if I display the variable with echo, I get a number value.
I changed following code in the function scorm_grade_user:

switch ($grademethod) {
        case 1:
//VALUEHIGHEST
            return $scores->max
;
        break; 
        case
2:
//VALUEAVERAGE
            if ($scores->values > 0) {
                return $scores->sum/$scores->values;

} else {
                return 0
;
            }      
        break
        case 3: //VALUESUM
            return $scores->sum;
        break; 
        case
0:
//VALUESCOES
            return $scores
->scoes;
        break; 

Now I get a grading from my SCORM (and also AL now works proper).
Why the definition in /moodle/mod/scorm/lib.php is not working, I do not know.

Since I also don't know, if it is a local or a common problem, I would be grateful for any feedback.

Thanks
  John

In reply to John Gschnaidner

Re: Viewlet SCO not speaking to grades module? Update

by John Gschnaidner -

Hello everybody,

I posted this in the bug report.
Bug 5695 has been fixed in 1.6 and develop.

Regards
  John