Moodle documentation: why "teacher"?

Moodle documentation: why "teacher"?

by Art Lader -
Number of replies: 6
A friend just sent me a message asking why we use the word "teacher" in the documentation, as opposed to "instructor" or something like that. She wonders if this is dismissive of professors and course admins in the business world.

I never thought about it. I am a teacher, so I like the word teacher. smile

I do not really know how to respond to her.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Thanks,
Art
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Art Lader

Re: Moodle documentation: why "teacher"?

by Darren Smith -
Teacher is more readily understood by those who may not be so fluent in English. It's amongst the first words most people learn when starting a new language therefore instructor or facilitator would be understood by less people.

I could be wrong, and you'd know more about that than I, but it seems reasonable to me smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Darren Smith

by Ulrike Montgomery -

Darren,

I never thought of that - it does make sense, tough. You are right, teacher is very easy to understand. The MoodleDocs should not be too difficult for non-native speakers.

Ulrike

In reply to Art Lader

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Art,

in the german translation we use this wording:

teacher  -   german: Trainer/in
direct translation of teacher is Lehrer/in and use for teachers at school.

other wordings in german are:

german: 'Dozent' at universities like lecturer, instructor, tutor
german: 'Trainer' like (executive) coach
german: 'Referent'  like contributor, instructor, speaker

student - german: Teilnehmer/in

If non-school-teacher hear the word Teacher/Lehrer they think moodle is a LMS for scools and not for other fields of learning.

Ralf

In reply to Art Lader

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Everyone will have a different synonym for this, which is why I have the option in Moodle course settings to choose the name for it. In the documentation, though, we have to pick SOMETHING.

A Moodle teacher is someone with the most reponsibility for creating and facilitating a group of people towards some learning goals. I think "teacher" is the simplest word with the widest amount of coverage.

Frankly, I think if a professor/instructor/facilitator/moderator/guide feels offended by being called a teacher then they have the problem, not us. smile
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by John Nicklin -
Where does one find the course settings to change things like teacher, etc. in Moodle 1.9?
In reply to John Nicklin

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
You can find this in each course, using the link in the Administration block, for Parameters smile