Evaluation: Exporting from Moodle to another VLE?

Evaluation: Exporting from Moodle to another VLE?

by Graham Glass -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

I'm trialling Moodle at the moment and am v. impressed. However, before implementing we'd like to reassure ourselves that we won't be shafted if the LEA decides to go with the RM VLE (or whatever) in a couple of years' time (and of course if we have no choice in the matter)...

So assuming we were in a position where we wanted to get all of our content out of Moodle - is there any way of doing so? I can see how we'd get hold of all files uploaded to Moodle, but not sure about e.g web pages.

I suppose this would only apply to course content as grades can be exported to CSV, and I guess we just forget about course structure and enrolment details. But if there's anything I'm missing please let me know

Many Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Graham Glass

Re: Evaluation: Exporting from Moodle to another VLE?

by Dan Stowell -
I've not done much work on this but see the migration from moodle wiki page I started. The basic message is that an entire Moodle course backup can easily be exported, and then XML processing (e.g. XSLT) can be used to turn this into a format used by whichever future VLE you're interested in. However, as far as I know no-one has tested this by attempting to convert a Moodle backup into any other format.
In reply to Graham Glass

by Miles Berry -
Hi Graham,
Firstly, it'd take a change in the law for the LA to tell you that you have to move your VLE to RM (or whatever).
Secondly, by v2.0 Moodle will have support for IMS Learning Design import/export, which is, AFAIK, the only relevant open standard in this area. Now, whether Kaleidos will allow LD import is another matter; on the one hand Becta are pressing for interoperability and open standards, on the other, I've seen no mention of IMS-LD on Becta's specifications yet.
Thirdly, there would be nothing to stop RM writing scripts to suck whole Moodle courses out of the well docmented file and data structures straight into Kaleidos, but I don't think this would be much fun. You could do this yourself too (if you really wanted to), if you had as much access to Kaleidos as you do to Moodle.
In reply to Miles Berry

by Graham Glass -

Well that all sounds like good news and was exactly what I needed - on the one hand I can if I want, and on the other I needn't if I don't! Thanks to both of you.

Graham