Help! Defending Moodle versus Sakai

Re: Help! Defending Moodle versus Sakai

by A. T. Wyatt -
Number of replies: 6

The following chart provides a comparison of the various administrative tasks for our use of a Proprietary system and Moodle. I recognize that we may not be representative of many institutions who are discussing this topic; but, on the other hand, maybe some folks look similar! We are a small institution (1400 students, 75 faculty, 135 courses on the system per semester) with no automation/integration with a SIS (I have always created and archived all courses manually; we do use flat file enroll to create student accounts). I find the hardware costs to be equivalent (a $3000 box will do it for us). The big cost savings is in software/licensing fees.

Task

Proprietary

Moodle

Results

Server side

Security, Operating system, Reliability

1 hour per week

Security, Operating system, Reliability

1 hour per week

Equal effort

Software installation

30 minutes, self contained

30 minutes. 1 hour additional attention needed for cron, aspell, xlst

Proprietary easier, but any competent sysadmin can handle a Moodle install easily. Mandrake supports RPM.

Database maintenance

Possible repair

Possible repair

Equal effort

Backup procedures

Set to backup to a remote server; automated; no individual course backups

Set to backup to USB drive and daily course backups reside on the server; automated

Equal effort; Moodle has more types of backups for selective restore

Customization of code

Not possible

Usually a matter of dropping files into selected folders; occasional code editing required. 2 hours per semester

Moodle allows for code customization, but certainly does not require it. Well worth the effort.

Creation of student accounts and passwords

Flat file

1 hour per semester

Flat file

1 hour per semester

Equal effort

Site look and feel

Limited selection of themes, content, and layouts. Difficult to add custom text to front page.

2 hours, one time only

Limited selection of themes. Easy to customize layout and add custom text to the front page.

2 hours, adjusted content throughout semester

Moodle is easier to customize and update

Administration options for user roles, allowed activities

Major functions in place and easily accessed by menus. Many features greyed out as unavailable unless purchased separately

1 hour, one time only

Major functions in place and easily accessed by menus.

1 hour, one time only

Equal functionality

Create, remove, or recycle courses each semester

Courses can be restored with selective content; instructors must be added in a separate step

10 minutes per course (archive and recycle), occurs each semester

Courses can be restored with selective content; instructors must be added in a separate step

10 minutes per course (archive and recycle), occurs each semester

Equal effort

Keeping faculty members informed

Communication is possible by email or a system wide announcement that appears on course pages

2 minutes per post, 30 posts per semester

Communication is possible by email or a notice appearing on the front page of the site.

2 minutes per post, 30 posts per semester

Equal effort

Providing training and support

Workshops, telephone support, office visits

10 hours per semester

Workshops, telephone support, office visits

10 hours per semester

Equal effort

Based on the best estimates provided by the people involved, we estimate that our level of the Proprietary system and Moodle administration and support require 55-60 man-hours per academic year, most of which are borne by the Moodle/Proprietary system administrator. At $25 per hour, the support costs are approximately $1,500 annually.

Migration costs, as best I can figure them:

The costs for migrating a single course from the Proprietary System to Moodle would likely be something like 1 hour (or less) to convert/adjust the course and up to 14 hours to learn the basics of course construction, user management, and the use of activities, calendar, and grading. The estimate, assuming $30 per hour, is $4,500 ($30 x 150 courses converted) plus $22,500 (50 instructors taking the full 15 hours to learn the system at $30 per hour).

This estimate does take the view that the instructor will not completely rebuild a converted course. I have found that many instructors do, in fact, rebuild their courses because the results of the conversion process are not always "pretty". Instructors also add a considerable amount to courses because suddenly they have a number of new activity types to use. So this estimate should be considered conservative.

atw

(Edited by Yu Zhang - Wednesday, 19 April 2006, 03:15 PM)

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Michael Penney -
Thank you AT, this is very useful information! Have you thought of posting this on the Educause Small College and CIO lists? I think folks there would find it very interesting.

http://www.educause.edu/content.asp?page_id=900&bhcp=1

http://listserv.educause.edu/archives/cio.html
In reply to Michael Penney

by A. T. Wyatt -
I am currently writing about 4 papers on my studysmile.  I would LOVE to send it somewhere it could be helpful.  Let me finish getting my references together. . .

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by David Scotson -
You've left the name of the proprietary option in one of your chart boxes accidentally (I assume). I think an administrator could edit it out for you if you asked them to.
In reply to David Scotson

need administrator edit: Help! Defending Moodle versus Sakai

by A. T. Wyatt -
Oops!  Yes, please, edit that!

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by D.I. von Briesen -
AT:

Thanks for this list. I'm wondering though, how do you account for things like the differing activities, or the way you grade items, or the profiles and signon logs? For example, in BB when I want to put an update notification/announcement at the top of the default page, it's about 7-10 steps. In moodle it's 2-3...

Did you really do a one-click install with BB? That just seems unbelievable- not that I'm accusing you of anything, but schools I talk to can't even manage to upgrade from 5.5 to 6.0 with lots of effort - so a one-click install sounds too good to be true.

I also feel like monthly costs should be a line item- rather than a summary statement - if spread conversion over the months and look at a multi-year range, and put it side by side with pricing... things seem more reflective of reality (or not?).

d.i.
In reply to D.I. von Briesen

by A. T. Wyatt -
You are not seeing the rest of the study--only the hardware, software, admin part.  I have quite a lot of data on students and instructors that get to some of these other things you mention. 

Our IT guys did a clean install of Proprietary 7.0 on a brand new server with a brand new OS.  We did not try to migrate anything over, which is the reason why it was simple.  We also elected to skip straight to 7.0, which saved us a lot of effort.  We also heard terrible stories of upgrading through the 6.x version.

I did the manual archive imports myself.  Our old db was going fast and it wasn't worth the trouble to save it.  More than half the faculty had already gone to the Moodle pilot server.  That was pretty much apples to apples with Moodle--brand new install there also.

Actual monthly costs are varied.  I have lots of hours/cost at the beginning and end of term and less in between.  I had yearly license costs that had to be paid in a lump sum.  I did not think averaging to yield monthly costs added anything to the story, so I elected to go with yearly costs.  But it would be simple enough to set it up that way.

Thank you for your comments.
atw