EduGlu (Moodle and RSS aggregation)

EduGlu (Moodle and RSS aggregation)

by Miles Berry -
Number of replies: 1
Over half term I've been following more of the blogosphere than I normally get chance to, and one idea that caught my eye is eduglu (qv) which has the potential to offer both personalized and collaborative learning in a way that doesn't require one system to do everything. Essentially (I think) the idea is that all the web 2.0 style resources associated with a particular course have rss feeds associated with them (flickr, del.icio.us, blog posts, wikis etc, etc, either via unique tags or dedicated feeds) which some clever aggregator, such as the semi-eponymous suprglu pulls together in one place for the cohort, or indeed learner.

Now, of course, it'd be possible for Moodle to display these resources, aggregated or not, in course rss blocks, but I wonder if more could be done to publish content in the other direction - at present forums and glossaries have rss feeds attached, but would it be too difficult to publish rss feeds alongside all the 'recent activity' block stuff? Or indeed calendar events? Or some other Moodle resources / activities? If the MyMoodle portal is to pull together this sort of stuff for all a learner's courses, then perhaps rss feeds could be developed alongside?

I suppose the other issue is dealing with RSS authentication for courses which don't want to be made public, yes? Is any work being done on this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Miles Berry

Re: EduGlu (Moodle and RSS aggregation)

by D'Arcy Norman -
One of the ideas is for the *Glu aggregator to squirt out RSS feeds of any of the query views of the aggregated data - those feeds would be trivially embedded in Moodle blocks (or anything else that understands RSS)
Haven't given much thought to authenticated RSS feeds yet. It wasn't in the early discussions, which were about pulling together a bunch of "public" resources into one place in an academic context. Authenticated feeds complicate things a lot, since you'd have to be careful about who gets access to items from these feeds once they're in the aggregated item bucket.