Stamp collection add-on:: New module: Stamp Collection

Stamp collection add-on:: New module: Stamp Collection

by David Mudrák -
Number of replies: 33
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,
I've tried to write a simple module named "Stamp Collection". This module allows teacher to give "stamps" (i.e. picture with a comment) to students so they "collect" these stamps. The activity can be used in many ways, such as motivative bonus marks, absence marks, certification records etc.
There is the first public release attached to this post. It is still in alpha stage (backup/restore not supported yet) but should work on both 1.5.3 and 1.6dev.
Thank you for any bug report, suggestion etc.

Module screenshot
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Mudrák

Re: Stamp collection add-on:: New module: Stamp Collection

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
There is new version of this module attached to this post. PostgreSQL support was added in this 1.1 alpha release. Please, do not upgrade but start with fresh installation on MySQL servers too (delete installed 1.0 from /admin/modules.php and return to /admin/index.php to reinstall) - I'll start supporting upgrades after making these releases more public.
Please note that you can get this module using SVN at svn://kraken.pedf.cuni.cz/stampcoll/trunk repository

David
In reply to David Mudrák

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Hi David,

This is a great idea, I use motivational incentives all of the time.  Before I try this I have a couple of questions.  When students click on this activity do they see only their own stamps or all students?  Does the student see the count column (not really necessary)?  You mentioned comments, but I don't see any in your screenshot--where do they appear?  And, is it possible to have more than one category of stamps in one instance, for example, Extra Credit | Absences | Completed Exercises .....

Here's an opensource gold star icon that I use if anyone is interested:
Attachment services.png
In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Ger Tielemans -
Some people working with competencies prefer to describe progress in scales with stars...
They can use your modul to create such an overview for their own gradebook.

I can image that you create a spin-off view - called competency privat overview-  where you show each individual student an overview of his comeptency scales.

(In vocational training there are overviews of competency scales with stars for teh comepetency levels you need for different professions..)

So for a competency modul you are halfway, nice smile   
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Ger Tielemans -
Another way of visualisation, in this case for 15 "star" scales, projected against 4 domains (the words in the corners of the squar) could be:
Attachment surf2019.gif
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by David Mudrák -
Yes - nice idea! I wanted to keep this module very simple, so it allows to collect "competency stars" only in one dimension. In current version you have to create one instance per each competency progress... But the category feature mentioned above could solve this request. 
Attachment stampcoll-own-screenshot.png
In reply to David Mudrák

by Chardelle Busch -
However, simple is good too.  I'll try this out as soon as I can.  In the meantime, here is the revised lang file--just a couple of minor corrections.  Ideally, your code would include an $a to reflect the chosen word for "students" and "teachers" instead of hard coding those words in the lang file.

by David Mudrák -
I've changed some strings and included your fixes into it. I'll publish new English lang pack in the next release. Thanks for this.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Chardelle Busch -
Hi David,

I hadn't thought about students giving other student's stamps--in that case it could then become a type of rating system (however, there are already rating sytems in Moodle, e.g. forum posts and glossary posts). 

I was thinking of an option to have students give only themselves stamps.  An example from my use--I work with creating behavior change in employees, for example, with wellness issues like exercising, taking stretch breaks, etc.  And this would be a fun way for users to track their behaviors.  From an education view, one example I can think of is my own daughter--for band, she has to turn in a chart with marks for every time she practices.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Ger Tielemans -

Yes, the category fit well in this idea

By teh way, the collection of starts stays simple (scale by sclae), the circle view must be created from a set of scales by a Jgraph adept or so (BB?)

In reply to David Mudrák

by Nicole Snyder -
Hello,

Has anyone ever thought about using something like this to rate courses? I use a very complex system made up of the netpublish module and several choice modules to allow students to rate courses that they have taken. Then I average the totals (1-5 stars) and manually enter it into a field on the course settings page that displays in the course information field. Here is a screenshot:

Staff and Student Rating

It is just a thought. I love the new stamp module though. It really allows some new ideas in the classroom because there is so much that you could use it for!

Thank You!
Nicole
In reply to Nicole Snyder

by David Mudrák -
Hello Nicole,

thanks for this idea! It could be managed by feature mentioned by Chardelle's. I'll implement possibility of inserting new stamps by students so they could rate the course (or any other aspect) by a certain number of stamps (or stars). In the teacher's view page there could be some stats (average number of given stamps etc.).

David

by David Mudrák -
Hi Chardelle.

>When students click on this activity do they see only their own stamps
>or all students?
It depends on the instance settings. You can choose from:
  • Stamps are hidden - only teachers have access to display stamps
  • Publish only own stamps - students see only their own stamps *)
  • Publish all stamps - students see all stamps
>Does the student see the count column?
Yes, s/he does.

>Where do comments appear?
After clicking on any stamp a popup window is opened with the comment displayed.

>Is it possible to have more than one category of stamps in one instance?
No, it is not. In one instance you can collect only one type (i.e. picture) of a stamp.

*) Current version 1.1 has got some mistakes in english language pack. Would you please be so kind to check it and suggest some fixes? Thank you shy

Thank you very much for the picture! I had got something similar in my mind during writing the module smile
Attachment stampcoll-form-screenshot.png
In reply to David Mudrák

by Colin Wheelhouse -
Hi,
I am running this module in version 1.8.4 I can give out stamps, and view them via my administrators role, however when pupils click on the activity they see "stamps are currently hidden". I do not get the option to choose from:
  • Stamps are hidden - only teachers have access to display stamps
  • Publish only own stamps - students see only their own stamps *)
  • Publish all stamps - students see all stamps
when I enter the "update this stamp collection" page or the "edit stamps" page. The pupils roles allows them to view their own stamps. I am very confused. Help would be appreciated.

I am currently using version 1.2 and have downloaded the current 1.8 version and had the same effect.

Regards
Colin
In reply to Colin Wheelhouse

by David Mudrák -
Hi Colin,

I am sorry, but the report of your problem is not very clear to me... If you can not see "Publish" and "Teacher can collect stamps" fields in the module form, you may have downloaded the version for Moodle 1.9, where these settings are controlled by roles and privileges.
Can you click on "Update this Stamp collection" and send a screenshot of the form?
Please note - the version 1.2 from this forum is outdated. Please use the appropriate version for your Moodle as described at http://docs.moodle.org/en/Stamp_Collection_module#Installation
In reply to David Mudrák

by Penny Hildinger -

Hi David,

One of our tech guys has downloaded the Stamp Collection for Moodle, and I can see it as an option on my Moodle page.  But I do not know how to make a stamp collection, and the question mark next to "Add a Stamp Collection" results in an error message.

Can you help me?  I did try to search the Internet for Moodle stamp collections with no luck...

Thanks, Penny

In reply to David Mudrák

by Rick Meeth -

Hi,

I have installed this module and it works great. I am trying to use multiple stamps to give teachers a choice of which stamp they use. So far I am only able to get the default stamp image to display. I know there is a way to do it I just need a little help.

Thanks for all the work to create this module.

In reply to Rick Meeth

by David Mudrák -
Hi Rick,

at the moment, there can be only one stamp image used per the activity instance. The icon can be selected in the edit form,

d.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Art Lader -
Great idea! Thanks for your work on this, David.

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Chardelle Busch -
I just installed this and had no problems.  Something that would be a great option to have is the option to have a stamp collection where the students can enter their own stamps to track a behavior.  

Thanks for sharing this David.

by David Mudrák -
Should be students allowed to give stamps only to themselves or/and to other students? Do you have any educational scenario for this feature?

Thanks for your ideas and encouraging words, Chardelle.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Art Lader -
> Should be students allowed to give stamps
> only to themselves or/and to other students?

It might be helpful if the teacher had the option of toggling this feature, David. What do you think?

-- Art
In reply to David Mudrák

by Julian Ridden -
Many thanks for this module. Works a charm in 1.6 smile
In reply to David Mudrák

by Julian Ridden -
Have a request.

Could we make it so that the comments attached to each stamp be displayed in the "alt" tag of the stamp image?

This would allow for the comment to be read by hovering over the stamp rather than having to always launch the popup.
In reply to Julian Ridden

by David Mudrák -
Yes, I was thinking about this feature. But there were some performance reasons for not implementing it. I'll try to use overLIB (is used in the calendar) for displaying comments during hovering - "alt" tag is not displayed in all browsers. Thank you for this comment.
d.
In reply to David Mudrák

by Savanah Fahrney-Day -

For some reason, when I try to access my stamp collections the following shows up. Can someone help please?

stampimage: Default stampimageinfo
publish: publishnone publishselfonly publishall
displayzero: No Yes
teachercancollect: No Yes
In reply to Savanah Fahrney-Day

by Ari Tahvanainen -
Hi,

Language file is missing. Chardelle has sent English language file earlier in this message queue. Put it in Your language folder.

- ari -
In reply to David Mudrák

by David Mudrák -
Thank you all for your posts here. I have not got much time to work on this module for last months but I will try to fix and finnish it to be full-feautured module for 1.6 and 1.7 versions (including backups etc.)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Chad Outten -
Thanks for your work on this module, David! Can anybody confirm that they have this module working successfully in 1.7? If so, is it possible to add the latest version to the mods, plugins database. Cheers, Chad.
In reply to Chad Outten

by Julian Ridden -
Attached is a version 1.2 which has been tested in 1.7 and 1.8 alpha with no problems.

Ill also add this version to the modules and plugins database
In reply to David Mudrák

by Myrrh Lynn -

I'm new to Moodle, but have thoroughly enjoyed everything. This module idea is fantastic! As an elem/middle tchr, this would be an awesome external motivator.

Currently in my classes, students earn points or 'bucks' when they do certain activities. They can then 'cash in' their points (or buy the privilege) for fun things or prizes. Each activity has a set number of points they can earn. The activities vary depending upon the needs of the class/students. For some, just getting reading the lesson is a challenge. So, they earn points for it. Others earn points for extra work/projects. (I figure it so that all students have a chance to earn the same amount of 'bucks' each week/topic. So no one is slighted.)

I can see how this module can really maximize my external motivation system! WOW!

I haven't downloaded this module yet (being new I haven't learned how yet) but is it stable for 1.8 yet?

Also, is there like a "bank acct" view for the students (so they can keep track of how many they get?)

Obviously the teacher gives them, but can the teacher take them away (like 'cashing them in'?)

In reply to Myrrh Lynn

by David Mudrák -
  • ... is it stable for 1.8 yet?
    Not fully yet. Backup is still missing, more work should be done on the forms etc. But I was able to install at 1.8 stable today (from contrib CVS HEAD version)
  • ... is there like a "bank acct" view for the students?
    Yes, there is such one. In fact, it is the only view for students
  • ... can the teacher take them away?
    Yes, she can do it at the Edit stamps page