Flash module add-on: Interactive whiteboard software

Flash module add-on: Interactive whiteboard software

by David Hicks -
Number of replies: 18
Hello,

I've been reading through the various discussion forums trying to find a solution to a particular issue. To explain:

I work as the network manager at a school in Cambridge, England. Like most schools in the country we have a number of "Interactive Whiteboards" - pen-based input devices, about four meters square, attached to a classroom wall and with a computer screen projected onto it (basically, think of an extra-big USB drawing tablet nailed to a wall, with a computer screen projected on it to make it look like a large TV screen).

The idea is that these devices get used by the teacher instead of a standard whiteboard + dry-wipe pens. You use a special pen (or, in some models, just touch the board) to draw on the screen.

Each different brand of interactive whiteboard comes with its own drivers (to make the pen act like a standard PC mouse) and "whiteboard software", which is where the problem starts. This whiteboard software lets you create lesson resources, with pages of text and images all set up ready for the teacher to click through and add hand-written annotations to as they explain stuff to the pupils. However, each brand of interactive whiteboard, although otherwise quite generous with the licensing of the software ("Smart" brand software, for instance, is basically free), specifically prohibits the use of their software on any pen-based input device not made by that company. So this means you can't get "Smart" software and use it on "Promethian" boards, for instance.

The reason for this is obvious - the whiteboard companies, reasonably enough, want to flog as many whiteboards as they can. The idea seems to be that one teacher gets a whiteboard, starts creating lesson resources, other teachers see how nifty interactive whiteboards are, start clamouring for one they can use with the already-created resources, and before you know it you're buying whiteboards for the whole school and you're stuck with one particular brand.

Obviously, this is bad from a school's point of view - we want to be presented with a bunch of whiteboard manufacturers all vying to sell us hardware as cheaply as possible.

The solution to this problem would seem to be to get hold of some interactive whiteboard software that would work on any brand of whiteboard (or with other, cheaper, devices such as wireless pointers). It'd be nice if said software could also integrate nicely with VLE systems such as Moodle.

So, I had a look at what people are working on in Moodle's discussion boards. I've found several mentiones of whiteboard software, but all seem to be related to communications-system whiteboarding, which is a different application.

Therefore, I've started to write a simple whiteboarding application in Flash to replace the whiteboarding software provided with branded interactive whiteboard hardware (whiteboard.swf file should be attached to this post).

A few notes:

- This software is not finished yet. Currently, you can simply draw lines on the screen with the mouse pointer (bear in mind that this software is designed to be used with pen-based devices, mice will prove a tad fiddly). You can change the line thickness and colour and there is an undo feature.

- The idea of this utility is not to create a full-blown content creation application capable of editing detailed images and animations. Rather, I want something that can allow teachers to load already-available content into an ordered set of pages that they can page through and add their own annotations to whilest teaching a class. It's dead easy to load Jpeg and SWF files into a Flash movie, those could simply be loaded into the background to allow the teacher to draw over the top of them.

- Lines drawn can be stored as XML. The test application posted has a smily face drawn on screen, this is reproduced from an XML string (currently simply hard-coded into the application). Therefore, it becomes easy to load in pages of notes from a web server, with no server extensions needed (you need a basic bit of PHP coding to be able to /write/ XML files to a server, though), and also to use SCORM to hold whiteboard state information. This means that a Moodle module could be created to allow a teacher to make notes, save them as a session, set that session as a SCORM assignment for their pupils, then pupils could go home and add their own hand-written notes on top of the teacher's, with those notes stored via SCORM. This also means that such a Moodle-created exercise could easily be exported as a standard SCORM module for use in other software.

I know that there are several projects around looking a creating whiteboarding applications for communications purposes, but those all seem to require server software extensions of some kind. It does strike me that surley there must be an existing project somewhere that I could just nick the drawing tools off, though.

Comments and further ideas appreciated.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Hicks

Re: Flash module add-on: Interactive whiteboard software

by Jamie Pratt -
It seems that your project you're embarking on is similar to the whiteboard applications that have been discussed elsewhere.

To make your interactive whiteboard broadcast changes made to it in real time and accessible by several users at once it would only require that the changes made by each user would be periodically sent to the server and then the server would send back a collection of changes made by other users. Each change would have a time stamp and the depth (ie what appears in front of something else would be arranged according to the time stamp).

If you develope a whitebaord interface usable by a single user (or find one open sourced) then it would be possible to extend it so that the whiteboard creator would have the option of allowing multiuser use of the whitebaord and changes could be sent to the server in real time.

We could program this in php and I think we should. Since a normal php application cannot push data from the server, it won't be very efficient since we will have to have each Flash whiteboard send a request for details of changes made to the whiteboard every 10 seconds say. A more efficient solution will be later to use a server like red5 from which we can 'push' data from the server to whiteboards as soon as the server is told of a change to the wb.
In reply to Jamie Pratt

by David Hicks -
> It seems that your project you're embarking on is similar to the whiteboard
> applications that have been discussed elsewhere.

Yes, although the idea behind this one is to provide a replacement for the whiteboard software currently used in UK schools, whereas other projects are concerned with person-to-person communication. I wouldn't want to add any features that make things more complicated for the end user than other whiteboard software, as then teachers will not use it.

> Since a normal php application cannot push data from the server

Ah, but if I remember correctly, the HTTP protocol itself doesn't define a specific timeout period on requests. The Flash application could simply always be waiting for a reply from the server (does PHP let you set an "infinite" timeout period?). This handily gets past limitations with firewalls, too - I know our school has a firewall that certainly doesn't allow any "incoming" traffic, only "outgoing" HTTP requests.

A thought: I've seen Flash-based adverts around that pop up over the currently-viewed web page. It strikes me that this might be a good idea for a whiteboard application - a transparent whiteboard could pop-up over whatever content is displayed on a web page, letting the user add annotations. This would allow the whiteboard to use any web-displayable content with no extra effort.
In reply to David Hicks

by Michael Penney -

a transparent whiteboard could pop-up over whatever content is displayed on a web page, letting the user add annotations.

That would be an excellent addition! I really think an annotation tool would be a great thing for Moodle and for web based education in general.

In reply to Michael Penney

Re: Interactive whiteboard software - transparent window to overlay html

by Jamie Pratt -
I too think this could be very cool.

Embedding flash as an overlay or having html appear as an overlay on top of a Flash movie is done using the wmode parameter but unfortunately as I understand only works in internet explorer on Windows. Here is info from the Flash documentation about this parameter which can be used only in the object tag :

wmode attribute/parameter

Value

Window | Opaque | Transparent

Template variable: $WM

Description

(Optional) Lets you use the transparent Flash content, absolute positioning, and layering capabilities available in Internet Explorer 4.0. This attribute/parameter works only in Windows with the Flash Player ActiveX control.

Window plays the application in its own rectangular window on a web page. Window indicates that the Flash application has no interaction with HTML layers and is always the topmost item.

Opaque makes the application hide everything behind it on the page.

Transparent makes the background of the HTML page show through all the transparent portions of the application and can slow animation performance.

Opaque windowless and Transparent windowless both interact with HTML layers, letting layers above the SWF file block out the application. The difference between the two is that Transparent allows transparency so that HTML layers below the SWF file might show through if a section of the SWF file has transparency.

The default value is Window if this attribute is omitted. Applies to object only.

In reply to Jamie Pratt

by David Hicks -
> Embedding flash as an overlay or having html appear as an overlay on top of
> a Flash movie is done using the wmode parameter but unfortunately as I
> understand only works in internet explorer on Windows.

Ah. Drat, and double drat... I have a semi-plan to get some machines running LTSP Linux and Firefox, so I wouldn't be keen on a platform-dependant implementation. Hmm. Needs a bit more investigation, then. Maybe some kind of server-based system for converting content to Jgeg files? PDF to Jpeg should be easy enough using GhostScript, for instance (convert each page in a file to a seperate Jpeg file). PowerPoint files (one Jpeg per slide)? OpenOffice can open PowerPoint files, so there's code available to do it...
In reply to David Hicks

by David Hicks -
> Embedding flash as an overlay or having html appear as an overlay on top of
> a Flash movie is done using the wmode parameter but unfortunately as I
> understand only works in internet explorer on Windows.

Actually, it seems to work a treat in Firefox 1.5 on my Windows XP PC. I can put a transparent Flash whiteboard in a 100% height/width DIV and be able to scribble over the rest of the web page. Only problem is I can't then click on hyperlinks in that web page.

Upon reflection, however, I wonder if this would actually be the best way to go about getting content so that it was available to be annotated. The probem is that web pages will be rendered differently on every system, and differently again if the browser window is resized, so Flash-based annotations over web pages would look wrong on most other systems than the exact one they were created on.

SWF seems to rapidly becoming the next PDF, with utilities available to convert most anything into SWF format, so it's probably best to stick to creating a whiteboard that can import JPeg and SWF files and maybe providing some kind of server-based conversion of imported files to SWF.
In reply to David Hicks

by Nicola Bennett -

Hello,

I've come across this posting by accident but found it very interesting. I know it's an old posting and you've probably finished your project by now.

Did you know Promethean software will work on both Promethean and Smart boards and you can also import existing Smart files into Promethean sofware.

The real reason for my posting was for you to check out http://www.imaginationcubed.com

I recently discovered this website, it's great!

In reply to Nicola Bennett

by David Hicks -
> Did you know Promethean software will work on both Promethean and
> Smart boards and you can also import existing Smart files into Promethean
> sofware.

The license that our school had for Promethean software specifically prohibited using it with any non-Promethean-made hardware (I'm guessing that means graphics tablets and such as well as rival Interactive Whiteboards). It worked technically just fine, just not legally... I don't know what Promethean's importing of Smart format files is like, but when I spoke to people at the BETT show in January there wasn't a common format between Whiteboards. It's the whole propriatory file formats thing - I don't like the idea of being stuck with one manufacturer who know that they control the information that you have stored in their system.

That said... I've been having a closer look at Microsoft PowerPoint. For all its detractors and blatent mis-use, it actually looks like very capable whiteboarding software. I didn't realise before, but you can add pen scribble annotations to a presentation as you go and just save them at the end (I don't remember seeing that before - is this something that turned up in Office 2003, or did I just miss it?). Perfect! Just what the average teacher needs - and of course, PowerPoint imports all sort of other files (flash, video, etc).

OpenOffice Impress can't quite match PowerPoint's annotation features yet - that's where the above Flash Whiteboard might come in handy, embedded into an Impress file (although it can't quite handle Flash embedding yet, either...).

What I'm hoping to try in September is having Moodle running on a Windows  2003 server, with each course file directory shared as a standard network shared folder. A teacher can prepare a PowerPoint (or Impress) file for their class, copy it to the appropriate course files folder, call it up in lesson, use the Whiteboard to make annotations, save the file at the end, then pupils can straightaway download the annotated file.

If multi-user whiteboarding is required, i.e. if another teacher in a remote location wants to share control of the Whiteboard, then I figure good old VNC should do fine (or, of course, you could use Microsoft SharePoint Services, or whatever service they offer). If behind a firewall stopping VNC, use a service like Fog Creek's CoPilot (although if someone could get VNC to run through Skype...). File areas could also be shared via WebDAV using Apache Jakarta's Slide project (which I reckon could also be convinced to run from behind a firewall).

Of course, it would be damn nice to have a proper whiteboard integrated into Moodle - everything in one place, a few simple clicks to have a whiteboard open, only one system for teachers to remember about. However, it would take a fair bit of effort to implement a whiteboard featuring a really decent feature set that anywhere near matched POwerPoint/Impress.

--
David Hicks

In reply to David Hicks

by Nicola Bennett -

Hi David,

Glad you've found a solution, your project sounds exciting. Did you check out http://www.imaginationcubed.com

In reply to Nicola Bennett

by David Hicks -
> Did you check out http://www.imaginationcubed.com

Yes, thanks for pointing me over to have a look at it. Actually, implementing a whiteboard in Flash is pretty much trivial - you just write a mouse event handler and every time the mouse cursor moves tell it to draw a line to the previous mouse coordinates! I wound up with a whiteboard integrated with Moodle that could draw lines of varying width and colour, all the time transmitting data back to the server (no delay - properly event driven, too!) for transmition to any other users currently using the same whiteboard resource.

If I put a bit of effort in I'm sure I could get this to be a pretty usable whiteboard for Moodle. However, I couldn't see the point of a whiteboard for which there are no resources available - the whole advantage of other whiteboarding systems is that a teacher can set up a set of whiteboard pages for a particular lesson, then re-use them or share them with other teachers. Several companies now offer ready-made whiteboard resources, generally in PowerPoint format or one of the better-known whiteboard systems (Smart or Promethian).

For a Moodle whiteboard to be any use, it would have to be able to import/export resources. Realistically, I don't think I'd manage to write a full PowerPoint importing system... SCORM import/export might be the answer, but again that would require some complex integration/re-implementation.

--
David Hicks
In reply to David Hicks

by Jamie Pratt -
Dimdim looks pretty cool and someone is working on Moodle integration. Dimdim includes powerpoint import, desktop sharing, audio and video conferencing and more (from their web site) :

Dimdim offers a comprehensive feature set at a price point much lower than the industry standard.

• Presentation and Document sharing: Interactive real-time Collaboration over documents and presentations allows enhanced expression and exchange of ideas.
  • Audio and video sharing: High-quality multi-party video and audio sharing can be used to personalize meetings with a face-to-face approach.
  • Application sharing: Full screen as well as specific application sharing from a Presenter’s computer can be used to show and educate even a novice audience. This is in keeping with the "show, don’t tell" principle.
  • White board and Annotations: Realistic interactive collaboration which involves a lot of annotations, corrections, group drawing (and doodles in the margin) is enabled through digital whiteboard and annotations feature of Dimdim. These features are possible on existing documents too leading to seamless distributed brainstorming.
  • Chat: As in any real world meeting there will be sub-groups of people engaged in conversation and exchange of ideas (some serious ones others more like “kicks under the table”) within the larger assembly in a web conference. This is facilitated through the multi-user chat feature.
  • Polls: Polls enable the presenter to gauge the mood of the participants and to take decisions considering the opinions of many.
  • Question manager: Question manager which is like a moderated Q&A setup enables the presenter to better manage the interaction.
  • Record and Archive: All the interaction is recorded and archived for sharing with non-attendees and to reach a broader audience.

Dimdim is going to be open source I hear.

In reply to Jamie Pratt

by Rajesh Dharmalingam -
Hi,

Dimdim Integration with Moodle is ready and the Dimdim Moodle Integration pack is available at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=176809
Dimdim is added as an activity within moodle and Dimdim Web meeting can directly be invoked from the Moodle itself. Please tell me if you face any problems/issues.

Thanks and Regards,
-Rajesh
In reply to Rajesh Dharmalingam

by Monico Briseño -
Picture of Testers
Hi, Rajesh. First great job with this mod. Second, I follow your manuals to install and run the dimdim activity. However, when I want to use the dimdim chat, web page sends the following message:

Any ideas?

BTY, I use Firefox 2.0.0.3 running on Mac OS X 10.4.10

Attachment dimdim.jpg
In reply to Monico Briseño

by Somanath Gowlikar -

Hi Monico,

Thanks for your interest in Dimdim. Presently to start a web meeting using Dimdim you require Windows 2000/XP/2003 on the Presenter's machine. Where as an attendee can join a web meeting from Windows or Linux machine. Also can join a meeting using Firefox on Mac OS.

This is the reason that you were not able to start a web meeting, as your machine is running on Mac OS. Please let me know if you face any other issue. You may also contact on my email id, somanath@dimdim.com.

Regards,
Somanath
(somanath@dimdim.com)

In reply to Monico Briseño

by Somanath Gowlikar -

Hi Monico,

Thanks for your interest in Dimdim. Presently to start a web meeting using Dimdim you require Windows 2000/XP/2003 on the Presenter's machine. Where as an attendee can join a web meeting from Windows or Linux machine. Also can join a meeting using Firefox on Mac OS.

This is the reason that you were not able to start a web meeting, as your machine is running on Mac OS. Please let me know if you face any other issue. You may also contact on my email id, somanath@dimdim.com.

Regards,
Somanath
(somanath@dimdim.com)

In reply to David Hicks

by Jon Chew -
David Hicks Sez: "That said... I've been having a closer look at Microsoft PowerPoint. For all its detractors and blatent mis-use, it actually looks like very capable whiteboarding software. I didn't realise before, but you can add pen scribble annotations to a presentation as you go and just save them at the end (I don't remember seeing that before - is this something that turned up in Office 2003, or did I just miss it?). Perfect! Just what the average teacher needs - and of course, PowerPoint imports all sort of other files (flash, video, etc)."

I sez:
Hello: I just wandered into this discussion, whilst Googling for others' ideas on this subject, our campus has 3 brands of interactive whiteboards, each with wildly different annotation software - this is a great thread, glad to see that I'm not alone here!

Pen annotation was in PPT2002 - but it stunk. We've just implemented Office 2003 this fall semester, & we also see the potential PowerPoint 2003 improved annotation has as our solution to this problem... but it's still a bit clunky in quite a few respects... just to name 2:
  • Pen tools are still a bit rudimentary, and difficult to get-at sometimes, they tend to "hide" at the worst moment, I still haven't discovered how to change the pen tip size, and changing pen colors involves delving into multiple-nested menus - ewww.
  • While in present mode - it would be nice to be able to insert a slide "on the fly" (create a new blank whiteboard page), a feature that's standard in most interactive notepad softwares.
I'm thinking in the direction of perhaps creating a PowerPoint add-on/plug-in, using Microsoft VSTO/VSTA/VBA/macros perhaps? a floating toolbar when in present mode, incorporating expanded pen tool features and slide insertion would be pretty nifty - if it can be done.

Our instructors love PPT (for some reason) - using it as a base solution to this issue seems to make a whole lot of sense to me, since they're already "at home" with it. I wonder if Microsoft has also realized this, and has incorporated improvements to that end in Office 2007, I know they're quite hot on tablet software for sure.

Anybody?...... anybody?????

In reply to David Hicks

by Mark Robinson -

Hi,

I'll announce myself straight away - I am Mark Robinson, Group Head of Education Product Strategy at Promethean

I can be contacted by e-mail at:

mark.robinson@prometheanworld.com

The start of this thread and further on indicated that our software was not available for use on any other make of whiteboard. I would just like to say you can license the Promethean Activstudio and Activprimary software for use with any make of Interactive whiteboard board in the UK.  Please contact Promethean who will be able to assist. If you have any problems, please feel free to contact me directly.

The standard license also allows unlimited preparation installs - for all staff, etc. and home and at school.

the lastest licensing language can be found in the latest releases of the software - which is downloadable for Promethean users at:

http://www.prometheanworld.com/uk/server/show/nav.2785

We use a hardware 'dongle' called 'Activhub' which unlocks the software features on other makes of Whiteboard which are hardware licensed.  

OK - so I have said my Promethean bit....

back to the thread....

Re online annotation ... this is a neat idea that I keep looking at ... when I was teaching I used early versions of FLASH to make pens and stuff... 

More recently I have been looking at Apollo from Adobe. This uses FLASH / FLEX, etc. to make executables (MAC, PC and LINUX!!!) that include an option to have transparent windows.  A web connection can then be set up (Apollo is very web friendly) to capture the data online.. similar to as others have described before.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/air/

Although we are talking Executables... you get other significant advantages like file upload - e.g. Load a local JPEG, calling DLLs & functions - e.g. capture to clipboard, etc.

Probably worth checking out - a sample 'desktop annotator' is provided

In reply to Mark Robinson

by Mike Ellsworth -
This thread looks to be getting a bit old ... but I thought I would add a bit.
We are using PostgreSQL to store xml generated by the FlashPlayer within its own schema (account). I believe it will accomplish what the original poster is looking for. The demo is called 'A Whiteboard for Grownups' and is part of a much larger project that could be used as a 'Learning system' as a fully functional Database is pretty helpful ... and that is what the project is really about.
Called Younicycle and available from the web.

Here for the demo. The home page for links to piles of other material.