SCORM backup/restore troubles

SCORM backup/restore troubles

by Chris Douce -
Number of replies: 7

I'm currently experiencing some troubles restoring a course of sco's after carrying out a backup.  This post is also connected to an earlier one on the backup forum - I'm not sure which is the right forum...

Problem: After a restore the structure of all my sco's appears fine but any links from the course table of contents doesn't seem to work (see pink error message on screenshot)

I've just downloaded the latest code from CVS: version 1.6 (I'm glad to see the navigation controls - next/previous - in a new place), imported a backup from a 1.5.2 moodle (which was running under windows) and updated every sco file to reestablish connection between the contents and the html pages.  I then made a backup and restore using the latest codebase and have the same problem. I'm running easyphp 1.7 on windows XP (apache 1.3.7, php 4.3.3, mysql 4.0.15).  Is this a known problem, or is it just me?  Any suggestions?

I'll happily share a couple of my scos to anyone who is interested in trying to replicate this problem. Thanks.

Attachment shot.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Douce

SCORM backup/restore troubles (more info)

by Chris Douce -

I've determined that the backup/restore problem is specific to my SCO's.

I've replicated a backup/restore using four of the samples on Moodle Exchange, performed a backup/restore to the same machine and to a different machine and they all appeared to load okay.  Would someone be willing to cast their eye over my SCO to see how it may be affecting the backup/restore process?

The content is built using a tool that generates content based using a 'LRN' build option.  The generated SCO plays fine, downloading applets, spreadsheets and using other required resources.  It is strange that the only thing I'm having trouble with is the backup/restore.

At the moment, without knowing why, and not having the capability to successfully backup/restore I'm a little reluctant to do any form of roll out.  All pointers to Moodle codebase and help regarding docs/operation of the playscorm function appreciated.

A final (general) comment.  In the SCO I'm using applets that reads text files from the server.  PHP helpfully places 'pre' tags around them which totally upsets my applets.  I've fixed it by renaming the text files to something different.  Is there anyway I can turn this PHP text file processing feature off?

Thanks to all who can give advice.  Chris.

In reply to Chris Douce

Re: SCORM backup/restore troubles (more info)

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Chris,

Could you post your problem Scorm package in the Moodle Exchange? Alternatively, you could email it to me.

Re. the pre tags problem, please try setting Filter uploaded files to "No" in Administration >> Configuration >> Filters.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Chris Douce -

I would prefer not to upload to moodle exchange but I am happy to send you my sco.  I look forward to hearing your thoughts.  Thanks.

Tags (this is heading off SCORM topic a bit): that setting did the trick for me.  Is having the default to 'yes' the correct one?  I'm just thinking of other moodle users who may wish to use the content that I'm working on and whether it's worth me fixing in my scos.  Is the text filter something that is used by a lot of other moodle users?  Where can I find out about what other file extensions are processed?

In reply to Chris Douce

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Chris,

You're welcome to send me your sco, rather than uploading it.

Re. setting Filter uploaded files to "No", I'm not sure of the effect on other users, however the discussion Downloading .txt files adds unwanted tags describes reasons for doing so.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Chris Douce -

I've been looking at some of the code for the SCORM module (I'm relatively new to PHP) to try and find out where the backup and restore operations are being performed.  I've found two files: restorelib and backuplib.

Question: I'm using Windows XP.  Is it possible to put some kind of debugger on the PHP code?  Using a debugger on executing code helps me figure out what the functions are doing and how they relate to other components of the system.  What PHP tools would Moodlers recommended for use on a Windows platform?

I've had a look at the moodle documentation section (developer guides and style guides etc) but haven't managed to answer this question...

In reply to Chris Douce

by Chris Douce -

> I'm using Windows XP.  Is it possible to put some kind of debugger...

I'm still trying to look into this but don't have any firm answers yet.  Perhaps asking a related question may help me in my search: what Linux tools are people using to develop and debug moodle code?

Also, what debugging strategies/tips can other people looking and working with the code recommend?  (I've seen the link about looking in the logs! I'm also looking at the file.php code due to some param troubles in IIS).  Is there a FAQ or doc relating to developer tools? (I've seen the coding standard and architecture docs).

In reply to Chris Douce

by Tudor Danes -
I'm also having problems with backup and restoring SCOs inside courses.

I think it's because of how folders are created in the restored course.
For example, let's say my course has a SCO which content is located in
ttologindata\113\moddata\scorm\1   (my course id = 113).

Now, after restoring it to a new course, i look at the folder structure in my new course (id = 162). Where do I find my SCO content ?
In ttologindata\162\moddata\scorm\10\1.
But it should be located in ttologindata\162\moddata\scorm\10

IMO, the problem is how the SCO folders are restored in the new course.