error messages when debug on

error messages when debug on

by Gustav W Delius -
Number of replies: 4
I turned debug on for fun and was surprised to see how many errors I received all over the place. Was this to be expected in Moodle 1.2 development or does this indicate that there is something badly wrong with my database thoughtful? In other words, do you all get loads of error messages (already on the front page) when you turn debug on?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gustav W Delius

Re: error messages when debug on

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Uhm.

I've 1.2 dev installed with debug turned on, and I see some notices and warnings, but none in the main page !!

Do you see errors (not only notices and warnings) too ?

Something could be really wrong (database or files), but there is a lot of factors involved and changing every day...so assume thay are part of the development process.

Anyway, majority of notices and warnings should be out when a new public release is created.

Ciao, Eloy. smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Gustav W Delius -

You are right, what I get on the front page are just notices:

Notice: Undefined index: 2 in c:\webroot\moodle\course\lib.php on line 898

Notice: Undefined index: 3 in c:\webroot\moodle\course\lib.php on line 898

Notice: Undefined index: 16 in c:\webroot\moodle\course\lib.php on line 898

where 2, 3 and 16 happen to be the id numbers of my top level categories.

I am nevertheless a bit worried by the fact that I am getting these notices and you aren't. Do you use nested categories as well?

Also: is it normal that the fonts revert to the browser's default fonts rather than the theme fonts when debug is on?

In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi, Gustav.

I've added some nested categories to my test server, changed my main page to "show categories" and voilà, the notices are there !!

I've added one more check in "course/lib.php" to avoid them. It's in CVS now. Seems to work fine (I think smile).

About your fonts issue, it depends of the browser that you are using and the exact place where notices and warnings are inserted to output.

I think that it's perfectly "normal" that these messages break your css styles...

Ciao smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Gustav W Delius -

Hi Eloy,

thank you for reassuring me that there is nothing horribly wrong with my Moodle. That is good to know because we are now in the interesting period where lecturers are already starting to put some material into their courses in preparation for the upcoming term but where I still want to continue to update to the latest code. I have never seen another application besides Moodle where frequent upgrades go so smoothly without corrupting any of the existing data. smile.

Gustav