New iconset ?

New iconset ?

by Jean-Marc Loisil -
Number of replies: 34
Is there a work in progress for a new iconset ?

Based on an idea from Michael Penney, I tried the Nuvola Iconset for a replacement of the maybe "less modern" moodle icons. I think furthermore than a new iconset could be less ambiguous in some contexts (guest vs user, settings vs report, etc.).

For the case of Nuvola, I am willing to share my work but I don't exactly no what are the restrictions of the LGPL licence for example for an academic Moodle. Does anybody know ?

Here are two images of my use of Nuvola :

i
test

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jean-Marc Loisil

Re: New iconset ?

by Muata Kamdibe -
Jean-Marc,

Michael also influenced me to tinker around with nuvola's icons; however, yours look much cleaner than what I was able to come up with.blush  I went to www.icon-king.com and pulled this from their FAQ section, and I think it answers your question about the LGPL license.  From what I read, I believe that we can use the iconset for Moodle with no problem.  Speaking of which, I would love to get a copy of your icons (kujifikiria@verizon.net).  Thanks in advance.

Muata   
In reply to Muata Kamdibe

Odp: Re: New iconset ?

by Greg Szczotka -
I would also gladly accept those icons: greg606@gmail.com
Thanks in advance,
Greg

by Karrie V -

I'd love to use these - may I ask where to get them and HOW to set it up?

Thanks

In reply to Karrie V

by Jean-Marc Loisil -
I am finishing the complete set and will post it her soon.
The set up is very easy, you just have to copy a folder in your theme and change a parameter in your theme/config.php.

It woul be nice nonetheless if some art designer could come up with a special set, maybe in pixelart to avoid the gif transparency problem (as the png is not widely supported yet).

by Daryl Hawes -
The icon set looks great. A larger selection of icon sets similar to the themes that are starting to popup for 1.5 would be quite nice. May I suggest rather than posting the set here as a zip attachment where it can easily get lost you put it in the moodle exchange area?
http://moodle.org/course/view.php?id=15
It would seem to go well in the Other Resources area perhaps? To make it easier to find in navigation I'd suggest a title starting with "Icons:" or something.
Thanks for the work you are doing.

by Rene Louwers -

Looks great, Jean-Marc, I would love to get a copy of your icons (rlouwers@actitude.nl).  Thanks in advance.

Rene

In reply to Rene Louwers

by A.G. Pate -
I think a lot of people are keen to get their hands on the new icon set (including me!) smile

Will it be available at a website, perchance? wink
In reply to A.G. Pate

by Michael Penney -
I put my version here http://cdc.humboldt.edu/moodle/. It's in formal white now, but can be moved into any other 1.5 theme (with the caveat about gifs made from pngs on dark colored backgrounds).

I included the nuvola license in the zip. If I should do it differently, let me know.

Demo: http://cdc.humboldt.edu/moodletest/moodlebeta2/course/view.php?id=7 (if you view the Uploading a PowerPoint into Moodle movie it shows more of the set from a teacher view).

In reply to Michael Penney

by W Page -

Hi Michael!

Please share the code for the calculator.  It looks really cool and has a lot of the functions HS students would use.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Michael Penney -
Hi W. the calculator is part of the reference block, it's in CVS/contrib/block_reference (it's not something we created at Cal State).

Tony Hursh in fact is listed as the author in the readme. It is cool, I hope Tony is going to update it for 1.5.

by W Page -

Hi Michael!

Can you help me out with this?

Is there anyway I can selectively download the calculator (block_reference) without having to download all the other contents in the contrib folder?  If so:

• What step would I take using Putty?
  • What command would I use to download it?
  • What command would I use to keep it updated?

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Michael Penney -
Hi W. I use TortoiseCVS. Then you just specify the name of the mod/block/folder you want to download.

Not sure how to do it via putty, sorry!

by Tony Hursh -
Whoops! I'm not the author of the calculator component, just the "Moodleizer" (i.e., I packaged it up as a block).

All credit should go to Stephen Ostermiller for creating this great calculator and GPLing it.

Yes, I want to update the ref block for 1.5. I'll be done with summer teaching in about a week, and should have some "free time" then; another motivating factor is that we have our first live 1.5 server up and running now, and will be moving all our classes to it during the break. It'd be really nice if all our stuff was working in 1.5 by then. smile

In reply to Rene Louwers

by Jean-Marc Loisil -
I have lost part of my vision looking all day at 16px icons but I came up with a first iconset which is 95% Nuvola.
Before sending a zip file, it would be great to have some feedback. There are sometimes several propositions. The color is not perfect because of the gif compression but it's close (only one folder is missing) :

http://cian.celeonet.fr/moodle/iconset/

by Jaime Villate -
If you still want some more feedback before you send us the zip, here it goes:
excellent job! I'm really looking forward to using your icons when I migrate
our school's site to 1.5 this weekend.
In reply to Jaime Villate

by Jean-Marc Loisil -

Thank you,

The set is now complete with Smileys and tiny icons but as I am not familiar with all the icons in all the contexts of use, a discussion on the usability side of the set is welcome.

Furthermore, even if it is graphically coherent, if will only perfectly work on a white background due to the GIF transparency (waiting for PNG).
I can batch-process different sets to work on a different backgrounds but I don't think Moodle is programmed to switch from on icon to the other when the background changes ?

http://cian.celeonet.fr/moodle/iconset/

by Michael Penney -
but I don't think Moodle is programmed to switch from on icon to the other when the background changes ?

Moodle can use different iconsets for different themes, though (see the comments in the standard theme regarding the pixpath variable). Basically, if activate this in your theme then each theme can have it's own iconset.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Jean-Marc!
Your icons look quite nicecool. When they are finalized, we could put them on our university site, don't you think? After all, we do work in the same university, don't we?wink
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Jean-Marc Loisil -

Salut Joseph,

Il sera bien sûr possible de migrer les icones sur Rennes 2. Je bosse là-dessus en attendant de m'attaquer aux thèmes de la 1.5 car Cursus passe à la dernière version la semaine prochaine. As-tu concu un thème ?

by Jean-Marc Loisil -
I have now a complete set which can be downloaded at he following url :

http://cian.celeonet.fr/moodle/iconset/pix.zip

To install this set :

1-Copy the pix folder in your theme folder
2-Open the config.php file in your theme folder and change the following parameter :
$THEME->custompix = true;

Comments are always welcomed.

Here is an example in editing mode :

edit

By the way, I wonder if help sections can use the theme icons because it is a bit disturbing for the user to have different images ?

by Darren Smith -

This is way cool - can't wait to try this when we upgrade tongueout

I noticed you still have the double box icons for expand /collapse sections. I don't s'pose you fany improving them based upon popular demand approve:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=18534

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=10468

Darren

In reply to Darren Smith

by Jean-Marc Loisil -

Actually hadn't seen this post but suggestions are welcome.

Maybe a plus or minus sign inside a single box ?

by Simon Bryan -
Just installed the iconset into the College15 Theme, they look great. Well done and thankyou for the effort.
In reply to Simon Bryan

by John Papaioannou -
Fantastic! approve

How about a new "MoodleModern" standard theme? Although Martin is going to be away until the 27th and I 'm not sure if he's going to read this.
In reply to John Papaioannou

by Jean-Marc Loisil -

Yes, this iconset should go with a theme.

As it's more colorful than the moodle iconset and mainly in blue/green, all the existing themes may not visually work.

In the future I can propose different sets (grayscale, other colors, etc.) based on the same icons but I wait for some propositions.

Svar: Re: New iconset ?

by Anders Berggren -
Bonjour Jean-Marc,
Félicitations d'avoir contribué d'une facon très intéréssante
et valable avec les icons nouveaux. Ils sont vraiment adaptables
d'une manière estétique et j'en suis très satisfait. Or, un ou deux
ne me semblent pas vraiment logiques et intuitifs quand à leurs
signifiquations. Par exemple "Restauration" et "Importer les données
d'un cours" devraient  peutetre plutot avoir une flèche vers l'intérieur pour
mieux montrer que l'on importe quelque chose.
À toute à l'heure!
Anders avec l'assistance de sa femme qui connait un peu de francais.
(Il n'y a ni de cédille ni d'accent circonflexe sur notre machine à écrire.)

In English...
Great contribution, thanks. The icons will fit in well with many themes.
Some of them aren't obvious in terms of meaning but that's the problem
with icons. There are no icons for e.g. the "Book", Questionnaire" and
"Netpublish" Modules.
In reply to Anders Berggren

Re: Svar: Re: New iconset ?

by Jean-Marc Loisil -
Excellent French !
I have started a new topic to discuss on the last iconset.
Suggestions are welcomed on the meaning of some icons, especiallly when it's rather abstract concept like "backup" an "restore". I chose the diskette metaphor out of familiarity but the bos/arrow metaphor maybe works as well ?

by MC Otake -

Thank you. They're great and we can't begin to value all your hard work!

MC Otake G