Richtext editor in quizzes and outside of them

Richtext editor in quizzes and outside of them

by Rimas Z. -
Number of replies: 2

Hi all,

Just started working on my own course online and adding quizzes. I enjoyed the way moodle handles quizzes very much, and was surprised by the variety of things one can do with php. In my humble opinion, quizzes are the best format to teach language learners, and moodle is already covering many aspects of testing available in such programs as hot potatoes... Moodle makes it easy to create a variety of them, but there are some problems that I encountered while playing with it, and all of them are related to the usage of richtext editor...

1) I cannot check "Source" and see plain html while writing quizzes, and even now writing this letter, can I make this transition from the source to the formatted text?...

2)  If I use windows-1257 encoding and re-edit file, check source, uncheck it, I get some specific characters converted into different encoding (can I do anything about that?). It looks like richtext editor does not recognize my encoding and makes everything latin-1 compliant...

There is some kind of inconsistency in transition from seeing source and formatted text, and some international settings are lost in this transition...

3) Sometimes richtext editor does not fit in a maximized window, and there is no scroll bar (resizing does not work the way it should???)...

4) Be impatient and click "save changes" while your browser is still opening a page with Richtext editor and you will get "undefined" instead of your former page...

5) Flash (object) insertion support is needed badly (the best way to use sound for my purposes)... I was able to insert flash buttons, but it takes lots of time to do that... And an ability to browse my server files while inserting would be appreciated...

6) An undo button for would be also very useful, not everyone knows ctrl-z combination... smile

Rimas

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rimas Z.

Re: Richtext editor in quizzes and outside of them

by Ger Tielemans -

I recognise your point 4 as a serious problem. If you intend to change one of the other fields on a form which contains also the richtext-editor, you make - more then once - that only change and press on save: if richtext editor is still building up you get undefined... OOPS, got me again...

On the language translation page each section has his own save button -which I do not like by the way - but giving the richtext field his own save button could solve the problem:

Redesign the form in two areas:

• one with all the other fields (on top) and a save button
  • a separation line
  • one with the richtext editor (bottom, clear visual separation line??) and his own save button 

I feel more and more to switch richtext-editor by default off, placing "minimal" html-editing info on the fill-in form and offering users - with warnings - the choice to switch richtext-editor on.. 

Take a look at the attached tiki-wiki-edit-info-screen, it is overdone because it gives also hints how to do other wiki-things in the text-edit-screen:

Attachment knop1.gif
In reply to Ger Tielemans

Re: Richtext editor in quizzes and outside of them

by Ger Tielemans -

Hmmm.A little rehabilitation for HTML-editor, the on line help mentions this:

If you create a very nice page in Word and then cut the content (ctrl-c), you can paste it very easy in the HTML-window (ctrl-v) 

ONE warning: the links to images during ctrl-c and cltr-v are absolute, not relativ