Moving Title Text in Sideblocks

Moving Title Text in Sideblocks

by Jeffery Watkins -
Number of replies: 22
I have tried a bunch of different things in the stylesheets.... vertical-align, margins, padding.... can't seem to make it move.  Any ideas?

Jeff
Attachment exampleblock.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeffery Watkins

Re: Moving Title Text in Sideblocks

by Urs Hunkler -
Picture of Core developers

Hi Jeff,

can you please tell us where you want to move the title?

For example with the following property you can move the header text 6 px to the right. (4px are defined in "standard")

.sideblock .header {
  padding-left:10px
}

I hope this helps. Urs

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Jeffery Watkins -
I wanted to move it down to the bottom of the header part of the block. 

Jeff
Attachment exampleblock.jpg

by Urs Hunkler -

Jeff, you can move the text down with:

.sideblock .header {
  padding-top:7px;
  padding-bottom:1px
}

These values keep the hight defined in the theme "standard" (all sides 4px). I tried the shown properties and they work in Moodle 1.5 beta.

The figure below shows the structure and naming of the sideblocks.

I wish you success. Urs

Attachment sideblocks.png
In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Jeffery Watkins -
Thanks Urs!!!

Jeff

by Ger Tielemans -
WOW URS!!!, do you have more of these Moodle style overview schemes?
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Urs Hunkler -

Hi Ger,

not yet. They are part of my learning style. When I have struktured and drawn something very complex I can remember it much better smile

by Kim Flintoff -

Hi all,

I have exactly the opposite problem with only the RSS FEED sideblock - all the RSS header titles are pushed down (as shown in the capture below) and I want them sitting up like the rest on the page - it doesn't happen on any other sideblocks as you can see with the MESSAGES title...

The problem with the RSS block title

This is using Himmat Singh's Blulines15 theme....

I can't find where I need to make an amendment (then again it could be staring me in the face and i wouldn't know I was looking at it) - any ideas??

Thanks

Kim

In reply to Kim Flintoff

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Kim,

You could perhaps try adding the following code to a css file in your theme folder:

body .block_rss_client .header {
/* apply whatever rules you want the header in the RSS block to have */
padding-top:1px;
padding-bottom:10px;
}

If the problem remains, please post a link to your Moodle site.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Kim Flintoff -
In reply to Kim Flintoff

by Urs Hunkler -

Hi Kim,

I looked at the CSS code of your site and saw that you are using an outdated CSS file for the RSS sideblock. This "title-bug" has been corrected some time ago. Which Moodle Version are you using. If it is not 1.5.2+ you should consider to update.

I hope that helps you go on with your site.
Urs

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Kim Flintoff -

using Moodle 1.5 (2005060201) -

I have used Fantastico installer to set it up... it doesn't currently show an available upgrade... am a bit frightened about doing manual upgrade...  could I fix it by replacing some folders or individual files??

Cheers

Kim

In reply to Kim Flintoff

by Urs Hunkler -

Kim, replacing single files of a Moodle installation is risky, you could break the module. But in your case to replace the CSS file should be ok. Please download "styles.php" from the Moodle CVS Repository and replace the file in moodle/blocks/rss_client/.

This "patch" will remove the block title offset.
Urs

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Kim Flintoff -
Urs, made the change as suggested - styles.php - but doesn't seem to have an effect.  Kim
In reply to Kim Flintoff

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Kim,

Have you tried a forced refresh (Ctrl + F5)?
In reply to Kim Flintoff

by Himmat Singh -
gomangoHi Kim. Do a Control + F5 refresh on the browser when the theme is loading. The browser's probably still using the older css in its cache. Worked for my friend after I replaced his Moodle 1.5's styles.php.
In reply to Himmat Singh

by Kim Flintoff -
Yes, that's the case... overlook the obvious!  But now it's had an effect on the font in the RRS block display... 
In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Helen Foster -
Hi Urs,

A big THANK YOU for all your Moodle css work from an orangewhite theme fan. smile
In reply to Helen Foster

by Urs Hunkler -

Helen, thank you very much. Great to know that anybody beside me is using "orangewhite" wink

By the way, are you and Andy working on a theme for Alton College Moodle which fits the wonderful design of your site? I would be very interested in being able to see it working. Do you see a chance to make it possible?

Urs

PS. If you would like to see more of my theme work - I am starting to build up a Moodle theme gallery. It's build on Moodle with different course designs and you can switch themes on the start page and in some courses.

In reply to Urs Hunkler

Re: Amazing Moodle theme gallery

by Helen Foster -
Urs, thanks for your kind words and for your interest in our site. smile

Yes, we've been developing an Alton College Moodle theme... at least Andy has been doing all the work - I've just been having fun learning lots of css! big grin You're very welcome to see inside - I'll send you a login.

Your Moodle theme gallery is amazing - a great place to pick up new ideas - thanks very much. approve
In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Andrew Walker -
The theme was based on orangewhite, but unfortunately I lack the discipline to keep everything neatly organised in the separate CSS files – so things tend to end up in whichever file is closest to hand wink As a result everything is currently a bit of a mess – I need to go though all the CSS and clean it up a bit smile

I like the moodle theme gallery, especially the Steinbeis Learning Center theme – I love the headings for the blocks on the right hand side big grin
In reply to Kim Flintoff

by Himmat Singh -

gomangoUrs is right the problem is not there in 1.5.2. The Feed block screenshot I've posted is from my local 1.5.2 installation. BUT today when I read Urs post recommending a trip to the CVS I got scared. SO here's what I did because I had a 1.5.2 installed on my local PC. I opened my friend's remote server's Cpanel..then made my way to his remote Moodle 1.5's folder..then to the blocks folder there..then to the rss_client folder in the blocks folder..in the rss_client folder I uploaded and overwrote the file styles.php with the same file from my local 1.5.2's rss_client folder. It worked!! Now the RSS feed title in my friend's remote Moodle 1.5 doesn't get pushed down. Caution: if you're not familiar with Cpanel and other remote server operations refrain from doing this yourself!!

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Pedro Xavier Camacho Pazmiño -

Hi Urs...

I changed, with your explanations... but I have a little problem... I can not to change the text (font) color in sideblock header.... Can you help me please..??