Continuing to the next module doesn't work - Moodle 2.3.2

Continuing to the next module doesn't work - Moodle 2.3.2

by Kate Rhodes -
Number of replies: 11

Hi there, I have 7 different 'scorm' packages and they are all dependant on each other. So, the user needs to pass Module One in order to see the next Module.  I have 'restrict access' set so the module is restricted until the previous module is marked complete with a pass grade. I also have Activity completion set so that the module is marked as complete once the user receives a grade. I have the required minimum score set as well.

Currently, the grade is being recorded so I know I have that right, but- it won't show the next module when the user successfully completes the previous module. I've tried using the auto continue (yes, all my modules are in one topic) but that doesn't work.  The next module doesn't appear on the main page for the course, and it doesn't come up in the navigation pane on the right side either.

I know I'm missing something, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction!

Thanks so much, Kate

Oh - I'm using Moodle 2.3.2+.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kate Rhodes

Re: Continuing to the next module doesn't work - Moodle 2.3.2

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I don't think Auto-continue has ever worked correctly - there are a couple of bugs in the tracker that are related.

As part of a GSOC project we've rewritten how navigation works in the SCORM player for Moodle 2.4 - I'm hoping that we will be able to fix the issues with auto-continue after that work lands in core. The GSOC work is up for integration this week but will only land in Moodle 2.4 - I don't have any timeframes planned for looking at auto-continue, I'm more likely to spend time on SCORM 2004 but if someone funds the work to fix auto-continue or if someone does the work on 2.4 and submits a patch in the tracker I'd be happy to take a look!

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Kate Rhodes -

Thanks Dan.

Would you have any idea why though-upon successful completion of a module, the user cannot access the next module. Even if you exit the activity and return to the main menu for the course, the module isn't accessible.  I've turned off the 'auto continue' option after reading multiple posts about issues with it.  I'm just trying to use conditional activities, or activity completion to prevent the users from proceeding to the next module until they have passed the previous one.
I'm stumped.

In reply to Kate Rhodes

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Are you using SCORM 2004? - and by modules do you mean SCO's inside a SCORM or are you referring to completely seperate SCORM packages and using Moodle's built in activity completion for activity modules(not just SCORM)?

if you're using SCORM 2004 - sequencing and navigation isnt supported in Moodle yet.. - We ran a GSOC project this year that improves support for sequencing and navigation and some work will hopefully land in Moodle 2.4 that might improve it but we still only pass 2 of the massive number of ADL 2004 tests - there are several posts on this with more info in the docs and tracker issues.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Kate Rhodes -

I built my modules in Camstasia, I can't tell from the software if it's SCORM 2004. I'm using the activity "scorm package" to insert them into my course. And yes, I guess I'm using the completion for activity modules, not just scorm, since there is no way of setting the scorm settings in the Camstasia software - at least that I can see.

I had the navigation working briefly, although you had to quit the activity, return to the menu and go back into the module you just completed. Once you did that, the next module appeared in the navigation pane on the right, so you could select the next module. But, I updated to moodle 2.3 and now it doesn't work at all.

In reply to Kate Rhodes

by Kate Rhodes -

Did some digging, yes It's SCORM 2004.

In reply to Kate Rhodes

by Dan Marsden -

ok - firstly we don't fully support SCORM 2004 packages so if you can publish to SCORM 1.2 you should.

next it sounds like the modules you are referring to are completely separate SCORM packages - auto-continue is a setting used to control how a single SCORM package that contains Multiple scos operates - it doesn't have anything to do with Moodle's activity completion settings. I don't think there is a concept for "auto-continue" within separate activities using activity completion inside Moodle either.

You should probably go and read the activity completion documentation here:
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Activity_completion

you should also make sure your web browser isn't caching the list - how have you navigated back to the course homepage after completing your SCORM package? - if you used the back button it will serve a cached version of the page from your browser - try refreshing the page?

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Kate Rhodes -

Hi again, Camtasia Studio supports both SCORM version 1.2 and 1.3 (2004) ( I just cut and pasted that from the support site, not being rude!) - so I'm assuming I'm still okay there. smile

And thank you, I have actually printed that doc on activity completion and have notes all over it. ... but obviously I'm still missing something.

What I've done as of today is:

1. 7 separate SCORM packages. They are all now in separate topics in one course. I used the SCORM package activity to put them in each topic.

2. I  have used the 'restrict access" function on the topic itself to prevent the user from accessing the next topic until they get a certain grade in the previous topic.

3. Then I set the activity completion on each scorm package so it's marked as complete once the user gets a passing grade. (85%).

The HUGE problem that I'm having is that IT DOES WORK SOMETIMES. I have created test users (student access only), I can pass the first module, click "exit activity" to return to the main course page and then if I refresh my browser like you have suggested - the next module appears, and so on. I got all the way through all 7 modules this way. Then when I have the client test is out, it doesn't work. I've asked them to refresh their browser as well and nothing.

The grades are being recorded properly, but the checkmark for activity completion doesn't always show up.  This is the first time I've used SCORM packages in Moodle, but it does seem like that part of it is working. Perhaps this is a problem with the activity completion instead? Should I be posting in the forum for that instead?

Thanks for you patience and help with this Dan.

Kate

In reply to Kate Rhodes

by Dan Marsden -

SCORM 1.2 and 2004 are different package types - when you export a package from your authoring tool you are usually given the option of publishing 1.2 or 2004 packages. You should publish 1.2 packages if possible.

Not sure I can help much further sorry - you will need to isolate what is different about the process and a way to reproduce the issue reliably and others in the forums might be able to help.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Charles McCoy -

Dan 

Has this ever been resolved? I look and wasn't able to find  an update about this issue.

Thank you,

Charles 

In reply to Charles McCoy

by Dan Marsden -

there are 2 different things mentioned in this discussion:

1. auto-continue (which is a setting that controls how a scorm package navigates from one SCO to another)

That has improved a bit since 2.3 but there is still one outstanding issue in the Moodle Tracker related to the auto-continue setting.

2. Navigation between distinct activities within a Moodle course. (multiple SCORM packages or multiple activities)
    I have seen a block in the plugins db that provides navigation between multiple activities but the SCORM tool in Moodle doesn't facilitate this. I have thought about allowing teachers the ability to customise where to send the user when they exit a SCORM package - at the moment it returns them to the course homepage or scorm content structure page depending on if "skip content structure page" is set - but this is probably going to sit on the "maybe one day" pile unless someone funds the work or sends me a patch to review.

In reply to Kate Rhodes

by Charles McCoy -

Kate were you ever able to get this resolved? If so how? I'm experiencing the same issue.  

thank you,

Charles McCoy