Having Backup/Restore Trouble with Courses that used Sidebar block?

Having Backup/Restore Trouble with Courses that used Sidebar block?

by Fernando Oliveira -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Plugin developers

I'm currently troubleshooting some backup/restore issues in Moodle 2.x.

In previous years, when we were running Moodle 1.x, we created a block called sidebar.   Recently, when it came time to restore our courses in Moodle 2.3,  our server would time out.  From what I can tell so far, the sidebar block seems to be the culprit here.

Sidebar uses section 1000 to store resources and activities. When courses are backed up, Moodle includes ALL sections up to 1000, even though they are empty.  This is just too much pie for Moodle 2.x, so it chokes. 

The easiest fix seems to be be to remove all the superfluous sections directly from mdl_course_sections in the database.  On our Moodle site, for example, courses are 8 weeks long so I deleted all mdl_course_sections greater than 8. 

This seems to do the trick, but I'm wondering if this is the way to go or if anyone else has other suggestions. 

Thx,

Fernando

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fernando Oliveira

Re: Having Backup/Restore Trouble with Courses that used Sidebar block?

by Fernando Oliveira -
Picture of Plugin developers

I guess my question is: Does anyone see a problem with deleting all sections in the database that lie beyond the actual sections used in a course?  Does Moodle store anything in these higher sections?

thx,

Fernando