Flexpage and Folder View Course Formats are now available in the Plugins Database

Flexpage and Folder View Course Formats are now available in the Plugins Database

by Kris Stokking -
Number of replies: 3

Moodlerooms has released the Flexpage and Folder View course formats to the Plugins Database

Flexpage is a course format that provides a teacher with complete control of how educational materials and assessments are presented to a student. Flexpage allows a teacher to create a flexible set of pages and sub pages where blocks and activities can be placed in any location on the page instead of being restricted to a right, left or center column. Flexpage courses provide teachers with the ability to determine how many columns of data are contained within a course (up to three-columns). This allows teachers to have complete control over how they want to present course materials and assessments to students.

The Folder View course format displays activities and resources within a folder that is expandable or collapsible. This course format can display all folders on a page or a single folder at a time with previous and next topic navigations or a jump-to menu, which each allow the student to easily navigate between folders. Editing functionality is consolidated for the course into an area at the top of the page. This course format mimics many of the features of ANGEL folders, making previous ANGEL users feel more at home within a Moodle environment. The plugin was also developed with an eye towards consolidating the editing functionality in Moodle's Topics and Weeks course formats.

For more information, see the Moodle docs at:

We hope you enjoy them!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kris Stokking

Modifying FlexPage Theme - Is it Possible?

by Jane Boyden -

Hi Kris,

I've read through the Moodlerooms administration guide, everything I could find on the Moodlerooms site (the joule2 tutorials), trolled through YouTube, and looked through everything I could think of to search for on the Moodle.org site.

And I still can't find anything about how to modify the theme. 

The FlexPage theme is just plain white. 

Other Moodle Themes allow for CSS customization when they are selected - their names appear in the Site administration > Appearance > Themes list.  Clicking on any of those theme names takes you to the settings where the aforementioned Custom CSS field appears.

Obviously, you know that selecting a theme other than the "Flexpage Theme" doesn't allow you to use the "Flexpage format" for the course format.

Help please?  Am I missing something to get the Flexpage theme to appear in the list of themes under Site Admin > Appearance?

Is it possible to alter a current theme ("Formal white" for example) so that the Flexpage theme works with it?

A prompt response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jane Boyden

In reply to Jane Boyden

Re: Modifying FlexPage Theme - Is it Possible?

by Mari Cruz García -

Hello Kris,

I think that merging the 'Flexpage' theme with your own theme is actually more complex that what you wrote in the documentation.

You also need to modify the  width styles settings, as the default width styles for the block of your theme may be different than the ones in the Flexpage theme. The default main and bottom regions positions are also different.

I have tried to make Flexpage with two our our themes: one based on Cover theme and the other which is a customisation of canvas and base theme, and, in both cases, if you want to use Flexpage course format, you need to make significant changes to 'flexpage course format locallib.php'

Regards

In reply to Mari Cruz García

Re: Modifying FlexPage Theme - Is it Possible?

by Kris Stokking -

The document wasn't intended to be a step-by-step guide, it focuses on the important modifications that we made to create the Flexpage Theme from the Standard Theme.  More advanced themes could certainly take additional work to enhance.  However, you should not need to modify the course format, and I'd be interested to know what changes you made to locallib, and the reasons behind them.