BigBlueButtonBN Activity Module now supports Moodle 2.3

BigBlueButtonBN Activity Module now supports Moodle 2.3

by Fred Dixon -
Number of replies: 9

We are pleased to announce updates to the BigBlueButtonBN and RecordingsBN activity modules to support Moodle 2.3.

The updated modules are now available for download from

http://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=set&id=2

The version is 1.0.8-Beta (Build 2012070900).  While we've tested this update with Moodle 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3, we're calling this update '1.0.8-Beta' as we ask the members of the Moodle community to try it and let us know if you find any problems. If there are no issues reported, we will change it to 1.0.8-STABLE.

In addition to adding support for Moodle 2.3, we fixed a bug in the backup/restore function commonly used for cloning courses to ensure include the BigBlueButtonBN activities are unique between courses.

Language translation via AMOS

Please note that 1.0.8-Beta current release contains only English translation. This reflects a change in the packaging strategy: once we release the STABLE version of 1.0.8, no more changes are expected on the localization strings, and we are going to adopt Moodle's AMOS for doing all languge translations.

Tracking the development through tracker.moodle.org

For more technical users, we now have a presence on tracker.moodle.or where you can file bug reports, requests for new features, and track our development efforts.

BigBlueButtonBN: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB/component/12231
RecordingsBN: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB/component/12232

New repositories on GitHub

For those who have implemented an automated solution for updates based on GitHub, or would like to contribute updates to the code via pull requests, we have created two separate repositories for BigBlueButtonBN and RecordinsBN, where you can find either the latest code in development or the code for each release labeled with the version.

https://github.com/blindsidenetworks/moodle-mod_bigbluebuttonbn
https://github.com/blindsidenetworks/moodle-mod_recordingsbn

Also the  integration for Moodle 1.9 is going to be supported using its own repository.

https://github.com/blindsidenetworks/moodle-mod_bigbluebuttonbn_19

Jesus Federico did much of the development for this release and I worked on the testing with different versions of Moodle.

As also we both work directly on the BigBlueButton project, it's important to us that there is a high-quality integration of BigBlueButton with Moodle.  We want to encourage everyone to try out these updates and give us your feedback.

Fred Dixon & Jesus Federico

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Fred Dixon

Re: BigBlueButtonBN Activity Module now supports Moodle 2.3

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Fred (and Jesus),

Thanks for all these informations, and seeing you're still improving Moodle plugins for BigBlueButton smile

There's one thing i'm not sure to understand well, about translations : i had translated everything in french, using several tools (like MyGengo or GetLocalization). It seems that, for the moment, BigBlueButton is not in AMOS (and so, what about french translation ?) sad

Have a request been made for being in AMOS ? And when in AMOS, will existing translations be automatically reported there ?

Thanks in advance for this information,

Séverin

In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Jesus Federico -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Severin,

Thanks for taking the time to follow up on the updates.

To be honest, the idea was to have the 1.0.7-STABLE version on AMOS (Since we wouldn't expect more changes to the string files) before Moodle 2.3 were released. And yes, we requested the inclusion of bigbluebuttonbn and recordingsbn on AMOS two weeks ago. But due a misclassified email on my inbox, the process couldn't be completed. 

That was good in some way, because we added few new strings to the language file and fixed some others. I just sent an email to David Mudrak with the new strings. And I am assuming we can add the French and Spanish files we already have with no problem, but we need confirmation.

On the other hand, what has been postponing the release of STABLE versions and hence the release of definitive string files, has been that we haven't received too much feed back or reports of bugs and issues. We really need people to test the plugins on their own and submitting reports for bugs or issues on (http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB/component/12231http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB/component/12232). So, best help we can receive now is users trying out the new version.

Hopefully we will have a RC version and the translation files on AMOS very soon.

Best regards,

Jesus Federico

In reply to Jesus Federico

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Jesus,

More than one month later, still nothing for BigBlueButton in AMOS sad

And it's really annoying, as it's time where admins are upgrading theyre Moodle's, to be ready for the comming new learning year...

I've tried a message to David Mudrak, hoping to accelerate things.

But it's seems that things are comming : http://lang.moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1464#p2850

Séverin

by Jesus Federico -

Hi Séverin,

That is correct, I have been in touch with David since we release this version. Aparently they are running some tests on their end. Hopefully the new AMOS version is going to be released very soon.

Beleave me, we are the more enthusiastic on having the bigbluebuttonbn and recodingsbn plugins in AMOS smile

Thanks for following-up

In reply to Jesus Federico

by Séverin Terrier -

Yes : it's now in AMOS smile

Langage pack mainteners just have to upload existing translation files in the langage they manage to put it in AMOS wink

Séverin

by Séverin Terrier -

In fact, anybody can upload a file with translations in AMOS.

But it must respect component name and have some informations about Moodle version and langage!

I've submitted french ones wink

Séverin

In reply to Fred Dixon

by Jesus Federico -

I want to announce that as part of the efforts for having a really solid integration of BigBlueButton with Moodle we have just released a new version of the BigBlueButtonBN and RecordingBN modules.

This is the 1.0.8-b2 release that has been labeled as version 2012081300. The main changes and/or improvements included since the previos release are:

1. The schedule parameters that were originaly activated only for activities in section 1 and higher, are now also available for activities in the section 0.

2. There was a serious security issue on internal calls to index.php, ajax.php and bbb-broker. The access was not validated according to the permissions of the users. This issue was registered as CONTRIB-3840 on the Moodle tracking system.

3. A bug was preventing the normal operation of the module on servers accessing bigbluebutton and external services trhought a proxy server. This bug was registered as CONTRIB-3844 on the Moodle tracking system.

These are the issues reported by users during the beta one testing phase. If you find anything that you think is a bug or it can be improved, please don't hesitate in letting us know or directly create an issue on the tracking system for the corresponding project (BigBlueButtonBN or RecordingsBN)

In reply to Fred Dixon

by Steve Klund -

Fred,

I have installed this module and it is awesome!  Very seamless and easy to use.

I do have a quesiton regarding logging:  How can I capture enter / exit time for each participant (not IP)?  I would like to demonstrate actual time spent so I can give credit (contact hours) for supervision and professional certification requirements?  Right now the only logs or database entries I can find show enter time listed by IP ( BBB and Moodle servers)

Is this possible?  Could it be added in a future build?

In reply to Steve Klund

by Fred Dixon -

Steve,

You've posted the same question to three forums!  

We've already answered your question in this Moodle forum (see Using Moodle) and in the bigblubutton-setup mailing list (see this post).  

In the future, please pick and post to only a single forum.  We'd rather be working on BigBlueButton than trying to answer the same question in three places each time smile.

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer