Release of NanoGong with Moodle 2 Integration

Release of NanoGong with Moodle 2 Integration

by David Rossiter -
Number of replies: 64

Hi there,

The NanoGong voice recording/playback applet with integrated Moodle functionality is a very popular extension of Moodle 1, with many thousands of genuine downloads from our server to date. You may be interested to know that we have just released these packages for supporting NanoGong voice recording within Moodle 2:

• NanoGong activity module
  • NanoGong plugin for the HTML editor (TinyMCE)

All information about NanoGong, including videos, demonstrations and downloads, is available at the NanoGong web site:

http://nanogong.ust.hk

Basic use of NanoGong:

• record/playback/pause/jump to any point in time in the recording
  • speed up/slow down the recording
  • can post the recording to a web site
  • can save the recording to your hard disk

If you don't know about the basic things NanoGong can do you could take a look at this video:

There are two newly released features for integration with Moodle 2 which use NanoGong. Here is a brief summary of both.

The NanoGong Activity within Moodle 2

• Students can record themselves and submit voice messages to their teachers
  • Students can (optionally) hear other recordings from students
  • Teachers can listen to and (optionally) grade students' voice submissions
  • Teachers can (optionally) give voice/text feedback to students
  • Students can leave a message for the teacher, if needed
  • Accidentally deleted messages can be restored

Here are two videos which demonstrate the NanoGong Activity in Moodle 2.

As a student:

As a teacher:

More information about the Moodle 2 NanoGong Activity is available here:

http://nanogong.ust.hk/moodle2.html#activity

The NanoGong Plugin for the HTML Editor within Moodle 2

Any user can create NanoGong audio content in any part of Moodle 2 which uses the TinyMCE Editor. This can be 'mixed' with text and anything else you can create in the TinyMCE editor, if desired. This means that you can record voice messages in anything which uses the TinyMCE editor. Here is a video which briefly illustrates three examples of using NanoGong in the HTML editor. Three examples are shown: in an assignment, in the news forum, and in a label.

More information about the Moodle 2 NanoGong Plugin is available here:

http://nanogong.ust.hk/moodle2.html#htmleditor

NanoGong activities can be backed up/restored using the Moodle 2 backup/restore feature.

Hope you find it useful.

Thanks,

Prof. David Rossiter and Dr. Gibson Lam,
wih great assistance from Ning Xie and Oz Lam,
The Gong Project

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to David Rossiter

Re: Release of NanoGong with Moodle 2 Integration

by Nyree Williams -

Hi David

Your plugin looks really interesting.

Is there a way to limit the number of playback times eg play once only for tests?

Thanks

Nyree

In reply to Nyree Williams

by Michelle Jackman -

This is brilliant news! I was hoping someone would make this happen but I had no idea the original developers had been working on it. Thank you so much! This functionality really needs to be in Moodle core. wink

Nyree, have you seen Mat Bury's MP3 Player for Tests? It works really well if you want to take away the student control of the player: http://code.google.com/p/moodle-mp3-player-for-tests/

Michelle

In reply to Nyree Williams

by Eric Katchan -

Hello David, good to see the app ported to moodle 2.  I had a usage problem with the activity module and our database Postgres.  Postgres does not like an empty string for the value null. 

As Admin:

• I created a nanogong activity.

As a student:

• I attempted to access the nanogong activity to submit my recording.

I received the following error:

Debug info: ERROR: invalid input syntax for integer: ""
SELECT * FROM mdl_files WHERE contextid = $1 AND component = $2 AND filearea = $3 AND itemid = $4 ORDER BY sortorder, itemid, filepath, filename
[array (
 0 => '430',
 1 => 'mod_nanogong',
 2 => 'message',
 3 => '',
)]

Stack trace: •line 394 of \lib\dml\moodle_database.php: dml_read_exception thrown
•line 232 of \lib\dml\pgsql_native_moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->query_end()
•line 678 of \lib\dml\pgsql_native_moodle_database.php: call to pgsql_native_moodle_database->query_end()
•line 1129 of \lib\dml\moodle_database.php: call to pgsql_native_moodle_database->get_records_sql()
•line 1078 of \lib\dml\moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->get_records_select()
•line 266 of \lib\filestorage\file_storage.php: call to moodle_database->get_records()
•line 358 of \lib\filelib.php: call to file_storage->get_area_files()
•line 161 of \lib\filelib.php: call to file_prepare_draft_area()
•line 166 of \mod\nanogong\view.php: call to file_prepare_standard_editor()

Modifying the value for submission id dfrom the empty string '' to null seems to have cleared up this issue.

file: \mod\nanogong\view.php apprx line 159-162

$data->nanogongmaxduration = $nanogong->maxduration;
    if ($submission) {
        $data->sid              = $submission->id;
        $data->supplement       = $submission->supplement;
        $data->supplementformat = $submission->supplementformat;
    }
    else {

// $data->sid              = '';
        $data->sid              = null; /* modified to null for postgresql */      
        $data->supplement       = '';
        $data->supplementformat = '';
    }

I don't know if anyone else had this issue or if this will affect other aspects of the activity.

Thanks

Eric K

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

Awesome news David!

I am sure that many in Moodledom are clapping ther hands over Nangong for Moodle 2! At long last!!! Maybe some jumping for joy.

Many thanks to the Nanogong team for delivering, possibly, the most awaited and much needed plugin for Moodle 2.x! THREE CHEERS!

Frankie Kam

by Frankie Kam -

Hi David

Just curious, in this latest Moodle 2 TinyMCE Nanogong plugin, what happened to the Caption text edit line that was visible in Nanogong  HTML Editor plugin of Moodle 1.9.x?

I kinda miss that caption edit line since it allowed a text description to pop up on a mouseover on the embedded speaker icon.

BTW I've installed on my Moodle 2.2 test site at
http://moodurian.com/m2/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=2
Username: me
Password: me
(others can try "Nanogonging" an audio in the Forum post of the link above)

And the sound is crystal clear to me.

Frankie Kam

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Frankie Kam

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks Frankie for putting it on your site - I just went and had a playsmile

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Paul Nijbakker -

Hi Frankie,

thanks for allowing me to try out NanoGong for Moodle 2 on your site. It is great to see it work just as in Moodle 1.9. I have requested the files, but the Gong site does not seem to be able to send email (I tried different addresses).

We were on the verge of adopting an alternative to NanoGong, but this is what we hoped for smile.

I guess the caption element was dropped since for a number of users it caused snags to occur in the process of saving the recording.

Rgrds,
Paul.

by Geoffrey Rowland -

Just to say I have dropped the latest NanoGong into Moodle 2.3 dev (Build: 20120522)

All seems to be working well cool

Thanks for all the development work!

Ang: Release of NanoGong with Moodle 2 Integration THANKS!

by Bente Olsen -
Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

wide eyes smile approve big grin kiss heart

Thanks!!! This is definitely the best news since the release of Moodle 2.0.  Can't hardly wait to tell my users, and as Frankie says, there is no doubt that they will be clapping their hands and jumping for joy. Thanks again for a great job.

by Herve Conan -

Hi there,

I have tried to install the new version on my Moodle 2.2.1. Everything seems to be fine ... except that the applet itslef is nowhere to be found, neither in the "Activity" module, nor in the TinyMCE editor.

Any insight?

H. Conan

In reply to Herve Conan

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Herve

I think you need to install or reinstall Java with the latest version. It works fine on my Moodle 2.2 site:

Regards
Frankie Kam, Malaysia 

by Frederic Nevers -

Hi, 

first off thanks a lot for updating this for Moodle 2.x - I'd be interested to know how many Moodle admins were holding off on upgrading from 1.9 just because Nanogong wasn't available on Moodle 2.x.

Anyway, I have just installed both TinyMCE plugin and activity. The activity works fine but the TinyMCE plugin doesn't. Please see screenshot attached and the error message I get. 

Could you please help me with this issue? 

Server: Ubuntu 10.04, Moodle 2.2.1+

Client: OS X 10.6.8, Safari or Firefox (same issue), Java 1.6.0_31-b04-415 (32 bit and 64bit)

ERROR MESSAGE

java.net.MalformedURLException: unknown protocol: notice
at java.net.URL.<init>(URL.java:574)
at java.net.URL.<init>(URL.java:464)
at sun.plugin.util.GrayBoxPainter.setProgressFilter(GrayBoxPainter.java:218)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager.setupGrayBoxPainter(Plugin2Manager.java:2290)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager.access$700(Plugin2Manager.java:102)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Plugin2Manager.java:1493)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)
exception: name.
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: name
at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.addJar(Applet2ClassLoader.java:522)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2Manager.loadJarFiles(Applet2Manager.java:554)
at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Plugin2Manager.java:1495)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)
Exception: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: name

Attachment tinyMCS nanogong issue.png
In reply to Frederic Nevers

by Frederic Nevers -

I have the same problem on Windows, with Firefox and Chrome. Java plugin is up-to-date

Cheers, 
Fred 

by Frankie Kam -

Frederic and Herve

If you pay a visit to my Moodle 1.9 production site, you will see the "Browser Capability block" at the bottom right.

At the moment (May 2012) the block is only for Moodle 1.9, but it is nevertheless, a very useful diagnostic test that tells you, at a glance, what software is supported by your PC or computer.

From the green tick on the Java section, you should be able to check if Java is supported on your computer. Just my two cents to provide additional help where possible to pinpoint the source of your errors.

Hope this helps a wee bit
Frankie Kam

In reply to Frankie Kam

by Frederic Nevers -

Hey Frankie, 

thanks for your response. I have tried Nanogong TinyMCE on your test website and it works fine on my computer so it's a server-side issue (or network configuration) but not client-side for sure. 

What gets me really confused is that the Nanogong actvity works as expected, I can record just fine. It's just the TinyMCE plugin that I have a problem with. I have tried re-installing it a couple of times, same issue. I'm really starting to think that it's a network issue or some sort of security setting but I'll have to investigate further.

Cheers, 
Fred 

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Fred.

No problem, I'm always willing to help so that you have more 'free time' to create more posts on that outstanding Moodle blog of yours.

Hmm..strange that one component of Nanogong works on your site and the other doesn't work. You might want to double-check the installation process of Nanogong in the TinyMCE code - did you follow all the steps 100% right? I'm sure you did since it's actually quite simple.

Or maybe the TinyMCE code on your site is not the vanilla-stock-out-of-the-box code from the installed Moodle. Could be it's already had a hack in it? You know best.

Frankie Kam

by Troy Williams -

Same here, it is due to the fact it can't load jar file:

Notice: Undefined index: HTTPS in /home/troyw/public_html/moodle22x.git/lib/editor/tinymce/tiny_mce/3.4.6/plugins/nanogong/nanogong.php

This is running under Apache/2.2.15 (Red Hat) / PHP 5.3.3

I did quick test, replaced:

<?php echo str_replace('nanogong.php', 'nanogong.jar', curPageURL()); ?>

$archive = $CFG->wwwroot.'/lib/editor/tinymce/tiny_mce/3.4.6/plugins/nanogong/nanogong.jar'; <?php echo $archive ?>

And worked.

Cheers,

Troy

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Troy Williams

by Nicolas Dunand -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

Same here,

Thanks Troy for spotting the problem: your fix did it for me. I actually replaced your fix with the following so we don't need to hard-code the TinyMCE version in the script:

<applet id="nanogong" archive="<?php $tinymce_dirname = dirname(dirname(dirname(__FILE__))); $tinymce_version = array_pop(explode(DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR, $tinymce_dirname)); echo $CFG->wwwroot.'/lib/editor/tinymce/tiny_mce/'.$tinymce_version.'/plugins/nanogong/nanogong.jar'; ?>" code="gong.NanoGong" width="200" height="40"> 

And greatest thanks to the NanoGong Team for providing this updated version and plugins for Moodle 2.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Nicolas Dunand

by Keith Wilson -

Thanks Troy / Nicolas for the hack

I was having the same problem, but this fixed it. Saved me a lot of time working out what the problem was, so thanks! Just to be clear for anyone else using this, the line that needs to be modified is line 55 of /moodle/lib/editor/tinymce/tiny_mce/X.X.X.X/plugins/nanogong/nanogong.php

by Paul Nijbakker -

Thank you David, Gibson and all the people on the Gong team!

I can't wait to get my hands on the code an try it out in our Moodle sites. approve

Rgrds,
Paul.

In reply to Paul Nijbakker

by Paul Nijbakker -

Hi all,

I have so far tested NanoGong for Moodle 2 (the tiny MCE editor plugin) in the following tools:

Tool Works or no
Forum works
Database with text entry no
Glossary entry works
Activity descriptions works
Online text assignment submission seems to work, but breaks grading page for teacher
Assignment feedback window no
Wiki works
Quiz essay question no

Rgrds,
Paul.

In reply to Paul Nijbakker

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Paul,

Not only does NanoGong for Moodle 2 (the tiny MCE editor plugin) not work with the Quiz essay question, It doesn't work with any of the other types of questions, either so far as I can tell.

It will let me create any type of question with audio in the question, answer, and feeback text areas. However, when you preview the question or take a test with audio in the questions, each Nanogong speaker icon when clicked will initially show the Nanogong player, then give an Error - Failed to establish connection to the server.

The one place it does work correctly is if you put a Nanogong audio into the test Overall feedback.

The new Moodle 2 Nanogong filter is also not compatible with any files made with previous versions of Nanogong. I have dozens of spelling questions that will not work with the new filter so I've had to rename my Nanogong filter for Moodle 2 so that they can co-exist and all my spelling tests will still work. I anyone needs/wants a copy of it let me know.

by Guido Gautsch -

In the name of all moodling language teachers, I'd like to thank Prof. David Rossiter, Dr. Gibson Lam, Ning Xie and Oz Lam for bringing NG over to Moodle 2. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but that's really exciting news! big grin

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There appear to be a few security / functionality issues with the way that Nanogong saves and retrieves files on the Moodle server.

I've emailed off some fixes to the developers, but you may want to hold-off on deploying on a production server until they are addressed.

In reply to Davo Smith

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

It's coming up to summer so if they fix this by mid/late summer we stand a chance of promoting it before term starts. Hard work beyond that point. If they don't release updated version by September, and there's demand, would you be willing to publish the bug fixes yourself?

In reply to Dave Perry

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I've already had an email back from the development team, so hopefully they'll be able to fix the issues quickly (unless I've missed something, the fixes are pretty straightforward).

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Thank You David.

This is a great tool and I appreciate your work in providing this to the Moodle community.

I installed it and everything works just fine.  

A word of advice for anyone who runs into a problem where the recording tool doesn't show up - Update Java.  Restart your system.  Firefox prompted me to use the new Java plugin.  I had to approve it and then restart Firefox.  Google Chrome worked fine.

Internet Explorer 64 bit didn't and still doesn't work.  I suspect this is related to windows 7 and 64 bit.  All my 32 bit browsers (chrome & FFox) work.  My Java installed is 32 bit according to the control panel. 

Svar: Release of NanoGong with Moodle 2 Integration

by Peter Liljedahl -

Great news. Installed it on our 2.1 server and seems to work. Nanogong was the plugin we missed the most when moving from 1.9. 

by Gibson Lam -

Hi there,

We have released a new version of the NanoGong Moodle 2 extensions. The new version includes several improvements and fixes, in particular, the security issue mentioned by Davo and the inability to show the applet when https is used.

You can see the list of things for the new version 4.2.1 here:

http://nanogong.ust.hk/info_features.html#moodle2_features

Thanks!

Gibson
The Gong Project

In reply to Gibson Lam

by Frankie Kam -

Hi Gibson!

Fantastic news. Smply awesome.

Frankie Kam

In reply to Gibson Lam

by Graeme Boxwell -

Hi Gibson,

Firstly, big pat on the back to you and everyone at Nanogong. Great to see a Moodle 2 release.

Does this latest version allow you to add audio to the assignment feedback window? We have used this in Moodle 1.9 to provide students with audio feedback and would love to do the same in Moodle 2.2.

Thanks again,

Graeme

In reply to Graeme Boxwell

by Gibson Lam -

Hi Graeme,

Just to clarify, while the NanoGong TinyMCE plugin is meant to add the NanoGong audio capability to the HTML editor in Moodle, you will not be able to use NanoGong in a few places, such as the assignment feedback window.

The reason for this is that the file upload feature in the HTML editors in these places has been disabled in the Moodle level. For example, you will not be able to upload a picture in the assignment feedback window and therefore you will also not be able to upload an audio file (i.e. the NanoGong audio) there.

To avoid confusion we are trying to remove the NanoGong plugin icon in HTML editors where file upload is not enabled, such as the assignment feedback window, in the next release of the NanoGong Moodle extension.

Regards,

Gibson

In reply to Gibson Lam

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Removing the NanoGong plugin icon will help clear up confusion for those places but what about places where pictures can be placed but NanoGong doesn't work yet? Any plans to get some of those working?

Specifically, I am interested in quiz questions. Right now you can make a NanoGong recording in the editors for question text, general fedback, answer, and feedback but when you preview the question or use it in a quiz, the NanoGong always fails to play giving an error of "Failed to establish connection to the server."

Thanks for a fantastic module,

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

by Gibson Lam -

Hi AL,

Yes, we are working on the places where it doesn't work as expected. We have fixed the problem in the quiz module. We will release it once we finish some other improvements and testing.

Thanks!

Gibson

In reply to Gibson Lam

by Uwe Klemm -

Hi, first of all: thanks for porting Nanogong to 2.x, this saves us from implementing more complicated approaches like Poodlle. We've installed it on our productivity platform (2.2.3+) and our test platform 3.3 beta. In most places it works just nicely, we do, however, get a "failed to establish a connection to server" error when trying to use it in a text page (exactly like in Al rachel's description regarding quizzes). I'm not sure whether this is the exact same problem, since (other than in Gibson Lam's explanation) it is well possible to upload pictures into text pages. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks for any hint, Uwe

In reply to Gibson Lam

by Shubham Goyal -

Hi,

Thanks for developing Nano Gong :D Actually, I am facing a lot of issues with Nano Gong version 4.2.1 on Moodle 2 sad I work on a Macbook Pro running OSX 10.7 Lion (in case this is important). I use Chrome as my browser.

1. When I tried to add a NanoGong activity, I was able to add it in. I was also able to use the HTML editor for inserting voice. While on the same page, it works fine. I can add as many icons as I want and replay them. However, when I press 'Save and Display' and then click on the Nanogong icon to play, I get this error - 'Failed to open incompatible/unavailable voice data'. Actually, whenever I leave the page or submit the activity, I am never able to play it again and always end up on that error.

2. When I tried to create a multiple choice question, again, I am able to record and play the question as before while editing it. This time, it even works if I save the question and then come back to it later in edit mode. However, when I try to preview quiz and click on the speaker icon, the previous 'Failed to open' error arises once more.

3. When a student attempts the quiz and clicks on the NanoGong speaker icon, a lot of error output appears on screen since I have enabled debugging. The output reads as "Notice: Undefined offset 2 in .../filter/nanogong/filter.php on line 59".

So, in short, NanoGong doesn't work when I click on the speaker icon. It always works in the HTML editor when I am able to click 'Show NanoGong Voice'. I guess it has something to do with filter.php.

Please help and thanks a lot.

Warmest Regards.

Attachment Error - Failed to open.jpg
In reply to Shubham Goyal

by Eric Katchan -

Hello, Did you ever get an answer to this?  My application is responding in a similar fashion.  I get the same error on one machine only.

Thanks

Eric

by David Rossiter -

Hi there,

Please note that a new version of NanoGong with Moodle 2 support has been released, as described in this thread:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=207375

Thanks a lot,

Prof. David Rossiter & Dr. Gibson Lam
The Gong Project

by Detlef Anschlag -

Hi David, hi Gibson,

thank you for all you work on nanogong for moodle 2 first!

Here is what I experienced today: while I tried to restore a Course-Backup (without any nanogong activities) in a moodle 2.2.4+ site I got a nanogong related database read error which has been mentioned earlier here too: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=203740

error reading Database

Debug info: Unknown column 't.intro' in 'field list'
SELECT t.id, t.intro
FROM mdl_nanogong t
JOIN mdl_backup_ids_temp b ON b.newitemid = t.id
WHERE b.backupid = ?
AND b.itemname = ?
[array (
0 => '633168381b3f76a5e817400aefc7e064',
1 => 'nanogong',
)]
Stack trace:

line 394 of /lib/dml/moodle_database.php: dml_read_exception thrown
    line 848 of /lib/dml/mysqli_native_moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->query_end()
    line 103 of /backup/util/helper/restore_decode_content.class.php: call to mysqli_native_moodle_database->get_recordset_sql()
    line 72 of /backup/util/helper/restore_decode_content.class.php: call to restore_decode_content->get_iterator()
    line 81 of /backup/util/helper/restore_decode_processor.class.php: call to restore_decode_content->process()
    line 423 of /backup/moodle2/restore_stepslib.php: call to restore_decode_processor->execute()
    line 34 of /backup/util/plan/restore_execution_step.class.php: call to restore_decode_interlinks->define_execution()
    line 153 of /backup/util/plan/base_task.class.php: call to restore_execution_step->execute()
    line 148 of /backup/util/plan/base_plan.class.php: call to base_task->execute()
    line 157 of /backup/util/plan/restore_plan.class.php: call to base_plan->execute()
    line 315 of /backup/controller/restore_controller.class.php: call to restore_plan->execute()
    line 147 of /backup/util/ui/restore_ui.class.php: call to restore_controller->execute_plan()
    line 46 of /backup/restore.php: call to restore_ui->execute()

I use your latest announced release of nanogong.

Are you aware of this error right now? What can be done to get it fixed?

Regards,

Detlef Anschlag
moodleSCHULE e.V.
Germany

In reply to Detlef Anschlag

Vastus: Re: Release of NanoGong with Moodle 2 Integration

by Tõnis Tartes -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I have the same issue.. I also investigated the code a bit...

If you were using nanogong with moodle 1.9 and then upgraded to moodle 2.x with the new nanogong, then its broken.. Because the Nanogong 4.2.2 is missing the 1.9 DB upgrading functionality in /db/upgrade.php

So basically, you have the new Nanogong for Moodle 2, but in your database there are still Nanogong 1.9 tables which are missing the required fields & some tables...

Hopefully the developers can fix that fast.. 

by Yogesh Nahar -

Hi David,

The plugin for Moodle 2.2 works beautifully. But I am having one issue with the plugin/filter for the TinyMCE text editor. When installed I can use the text editor fine but I can't toggle to full screen mode. The screen simply freezes.

Is anybody else facing thie issue?

I am running:

Moodle v2.2.1
MySQL 5.1.63
PHP 5.3.15
Firefox 12.0

Thanks.

Yogesh Nahar

In reply to Yogesh Nahar

by John Rodriquez -

Hi,

I have the same problem. But is this connected with the Nanogong plugin? Or is this a topic for another forum?

Regards,

John

by Beth Crook -

Thank you for updating this amazing plugin!  It's going to get a lot of use in our Modern Language courses this year!  

However, I seem to have an issue with installation.  When I (as a student) submit my Nanogong assignment, I (a teacher) have no way of adding grade or feedback.  Attaching a screenshot.  There are no editable fields.  And when I "Click here to Edit" it gives me nothing for adding grade or written feedback.   Did I do something wrong in the installation perhaps? Classes start next week and I'm starting to panic of this function.  Thanks in advance!

Attachment Screen Shot 2012-08-27 at 3.05.37 PM.png
In reply to Beth Crook

by sue sugizaki -

Hi,

I have the same problem.

Nanogong released the latest vertion on 17th Sept..

Q: did it solve all the problems???

In reply to sue sugizaki

by sue sugizaki -

I installed the lastest version and still have the feedback problem.

In reply to Beth Crook

by Tammy Ramos -

Hi Beth, 

Were you able to find a fix for the grading and feeback issue? We are having the same problem when we click on 'Click here to edit'. It takes us to a page where we can submit another recording and shows the assignment information at the top. I am finding a lot of resources on how to use the nanogong, but frustrating when you can't see what they are saying you should be seeing. 

Any help is appreciated! smile

Thank you,

Tammy

by Ann Morgan -

Hi David, I was soooo excited to get NanoGong when my Moodle course was upgraded to Moodle 2.2.3 (Build: 20120514)The Voice Activity works great!  However, when I tried the HTML editor NanoGong I am not seeing the recorder tools I just get the below.  I also tried different browsers with the same result.

issue

I checked all the filters and believe them all to be turned on ...especially since the voice activity works.

Can you direct me to the next step in getting this to work?

THANK YOU!  This has got to be the one plugin every teacher on the planet will want!

Ann

In reply to Ann Morgan

by David Heuring -

Hi David et al,

I too am pleased with the new Nanogong version for Moodle 2.3.  Works really well.  I am wondering though about customizing the Nanogong applet.  For instance, I don't need the speed buttons.  I saw where when Nanogong is used as a standalone, one can go into module.js and change <param name> features to true/false to get the desired effect, but this didn't work for me in the Moodle version.   Can anyone point me in the right direction for making these changes?

Again, thanks for the awesome effort guys.

Dave

In reply to David Heuring

by dag bro -

Hello everyone!

I’ve just installed the nanogong plugin for TINY MCE (4.5.1.1) in moodle 2 (2.3). The installation gone fine but in test activity with questions type multiple choise, the icon of speaker doesn’t exist for students but do exists for teachers:

Have you any idea to resolve the issue ?

Thanks a lot for your help

Regards

In reply to dag bro

by Sebastien Jaffredo -

Same issue here : the Nanogong filter works with TinyMCE in some places but not in others.

For example, the Nanogong button shows in the HTML editor when editing or grading a Nanogong assignment.

It works in other places as well, such as Label editing or web page editing.

In the "assign" module, the Nanogong button shows on modedit.php and on the submission page, but not on the grade page.

It doesn't show on the answering page of an essay question of a quiz.

Is there anyway to make sure the Nanogong filter works in all instances of TinyMCE whatever the context ?

by Gina Bennett -

Nanogong is such a cool app & I'm so glad to see it up & running in Moodle 2! But like the others posting on this thread, I'd love to see it enabled for ALL html editor textboxes, especially those which we like to use to provide feedback to the student. Being able to SPEAK the feedback is so much more efficient (in many circumstances) than having to write copious responses. 

Does anyone know any possible work around that would let us provide nanogong feedback to students in a personal way? The only way I can think of (& this would be clunky) is to create a private forum for each student.

by Troy Williams -

Hello,

I have just installed Nanogong for Moodle TinyMCE. Playback is fine on Chrome Version 25.0.1364.45 beta

But fails to play giving "ERROR: Failed to open incompatible voice data" on:
Firefox Version 17.0.1
Opera Version 11.64
Safari Version 5.1.7 

This is on a MacOSx10.6.8 Java 1.6.0_37 running Moodle 2.3.1

I also get same error on Windows 7 Java 1.7_11 machine with Firefox, Opera and IE8 but the applet does play sound file back on Chrome.

After a little digging, it looks when you click speaker image and applet attempts to load file in (Firefox, Opera, Safari, IE) looks like session information isn't passed and a new fresh unauthenticated session for user is setup. Then user has to re login, the applet session distroyed and new authenticated session created and the cycle continues.

Is anyone else having the same problem?

Thanks,
Troy

by Rodrigo Bogado -

Hi, thanks for the add-on info, works great but I'm having some trouble with the applet.
The icon works great in the HTML editor, I can record and once the topic nanogong voice activity is finished I can hear it by clicking the speaker icon. And I also can record as a student, but when I submit it I can't play any student record by clicking the speaker icon. Even selecting the record name from the list the applet doesn't show.
So, what can the problem be? Thanks.

by Wen Hao Chuang -

Hi David and Gibson, thanks so much for this wonderful plugin!

Is there any way to make it work for students in Moodle Quiz Essay questions? If there is a hack or something that would make this work, please let me know. Thanks!

Wen

by Jérôme Charaoui -

The lastest version of NanoGong 4.2.3.3 doesn't seem to work with recent versions of Firefox (tested 17 and 23). There seems to be a problem when submitting the audio data to "saveaudio.php". The applet doesn't transmit Moodle's "httpOnly" authentication cookie, so the script returns a redirection page, instead of proceeding normally. Internet Explorer 10 doesn't exhibit the problem.

In reply to Jérôme Charaoui

by Peter Jonker -

Just installed Nanogong (all components) in a 2.4.1. Moodle installation. Found Nanogong as a resource but it is not showing as an Activity. Thought it might be an assignment type so switched on the 'old 2.2' assignment type. This also did not bring me an activity. Can anybody advise if I can have a Nanogong activity in Moodle 2.4.1. and onwards.

In reply to Peter Jonker

by AL Rachels -

Hi Peter,

Sadly, I don't think the current version of Nanogong has been updated for Moodle 2.4 yet. The last version release was prior to the Moodle 2.4 release.

If you really need and audio or even video Activity, you might want to try PoodLL. It has an activity, activity feedback, filter, database field, question type, and repository so that basically, if you have an edit window, you or a student can enter an audio or video recording. Works with the latest Moodle and on just about any portable device.

AL

by Ramiro T. -

Hy David,

Thanks for the tool.

I try use it in a moode 2.5 installation.

All seems ok, the recorder tool works OK, I can listen my recorded voice, and I can save it in my computer...

But when i try "Submit" to send it to the teacher, then is when I have the problem... this one:

"There is a problem sending the recording to the server. Please try again later !"

The server is running ok and do'nt found where ca be the problem.

Have you any idea of what can I try to resolve this problem?

Thanks again.

Ramiro

In reply to Ramiro T.

by Tyler Bannister -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Ramiro, we've run into the same problem.  There's a setting in the CFG object called httponly, if it set to true, Nanogong will stop working.  Unfortunately, httponly stops XSS attacks from hijacking user sessions on your Moodle site (especially the admin account).  Basically it prevents any applets or javascript from access the Moodle cookies and Nanogong depends on getting the session id from the Moodle cookies.  So turning it off will leave your users exposed to potential session hijacking.  Until Nanogong is patched, it looks like you will have to choose between security and Nanogong.