E-mail queue to workaround ISP sendmail limits

E-mail queue to workaround ISP sendmail limits

by Ken Brock -
Number of replies: 4

I am using Moodle 1.4.3 on a Linux server using basic mail() but my ISP has a limit of 5 emails per 10 seconds and 100 email per hour. When I post to forums or discussions with more than 5 subscribers and the forum_cron lights off in /mod/forum/lib.php, 5 emails go through and the rest return error with "ERROR: Could not instantiate mail function" and its ugly twin "ERROR: mod/forum/cron.php".

Has anyone written a email queuing/chunking system at either the forum_cron() level working with mailed and unmailed posts (unfortunately don't know how many e-mails a single post will generate), the email_to_user() level used by many modules, the @mail() level, or some other place?

Throttling 5 emails each time cron lights off every 5 minutes would work fine for me. The digest code seems to have the same issues. Moodle 1.5 seems to have the same code. Other people must have confronted this one before.

I appreciate any guidance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ken Brock

Re: E-mail queue to workaround ISP sendmail limits

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I'm not aware of anything written to do this.   Few people have to cope with such low ISP limits, I think.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
We have also that problem, but we have set up our own smtp-server wich delivers directly to the internet and not to the isp's smtp.
In reply to Ken Brock

by Tan M -

Hi Ken,

I'm wondering if I am experiencing the same problem.  The first 5-7 users in a forum receive posts by email but the rest do not.  I am not receiving the "ERROR: mod/forum/cron.php" though.

Did you ever find a resolution?  By the way, when you say that the ISP has the limit, that means that the webhost I am using has the limit right?

In reply to Tan M

by Dharmendra Jeetendra -
I have installed "qmail". In configurations> Variables> mail in SMTPhost i entered "qmail" and i left Smtpuser n SMtppasswd blank..My email is going but its not there in user inbox. what can be the solution for this..Has anybody tired this;
let me know the solution for this.

Thanks in advance..