Brainstorm: Recent Activity

Brainstorm: Recent Activity

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 14
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
OK, I have this new page I started weeks ago and it's been sitting there waiting for me to finish it off:

http://moodle.org/course/recent.php?id=5

My intention is to eventually make this a link from the recent activity box on the course page, or perhaps even a link in the "Participants" box so the recent activity box doesn't have to be there.

Ideally this page should be a really useful tool for glancing at to "catch up" on everything that's happened within a recent period of time.

I'd like some ideas from everyone about the coolest way to present all this information. What would be the best way to show all this stuff?

Please give me your ideas and especially, attach HTML mockups and JPG sketches so we can see what you mean!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Brainstorm: Recent Activity

by Tom Murdock -

I think this is a good way to style the info.  A few suggestions:

1. if nothing has happened in an activity (or a topic), don't have it listed in the report.

2.I would be interested in seeing the last three or five times I logged in listed at the top of the page (so that I can orient myself) and then a drop down like the log menu (in the admin), to pick what dates I want to go back to.

thanks for looking at this. I think it would be really useful!

by Andrew R -
I think it'll be better if I can see most popular discussions and maybe most active participant,downloads, topics, resources ...
Also some kind of navigation (maybe calendar) to see what was a day or a week ago.mixed
Certainly recent activity should be divided by period of time : "Today", "This week", "Participant of the month".smile

by David Delgado -
Certainly, this is really amazing! smile I do like this format much more that the current one. I would put the time period (Since: Last Login | 1 day | 7 days | 14 days | 21 days | 30 days) as links to the page just where the recent activities are now (to the right).

For me it is important to keep the information of the last login (as we have now). And I do agree in not displaying any module with no activity (just to make the report shorter and clearer). Good job! smile

Related to this, it would be very nice to have an option (on/off) when reading forums to hide the messages that have already read. Anyway, I do not think it is very important for the release of Moodle 1.1 (Just a suggestion in case it is easy to do, wich I think it is not the case wink ).
In reply to David Delgado

by David Delgado -
Just one more thing: I think that the links on the post listing should link to the posts themselves, as it occurs currently in the recent activity on the right. You linked the whole threads.

by Scott Elliott -
I am willing to work on this if no one else has started.
In reply to Scott Elliott

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Sold to the man with the parrot!  

(sorry, it's late  big grin)

by Scott Elliott -

LOL, I guess I'll never live down the polygon joke smile

I'll start making some modifications.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I was looking at phpNuke the other day and it does this quite well - although I couldn't work out what counted as recent.

However what caught my eye, was the way the side panels (like latest news and recent activity) where all collapsible. You have the usual + and - icons to show these sections or shrink them to just a bar. Its too early and I'm probably not explaining this very well!

The user selections are remembered - its quite cool, and means you can potentially get loads of stuff on the main pages without looking hugely busy.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Sean Keogh -
That is the sort of thing that would be very useful to have in the topics...We have a topic here with over thirty resources in it, and can't really put them across multiple topics.  The ability to hide and reveal these using the + and - symbols would solve the sub-folder problem I think.

Now all we need to do is find some way of cloning Martin a few times (although I'm not sure what his wife would have to say about that) smile
In reply to Sean Keogh

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Sean Keogh: I'm not sure what his wife would have to say about that

I guess she'd love it. Three or four Martins could go on working on Moodle and she could keep one for herself. wink

Sorry, Martin - couldn't resist. big grin

Yes, those expandable/collapsible sections within topics would be great. Just an idea - maybe the label module could somehow be modified to cater for that?
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Ger Tielemans -

Or there should grow a subsection module that can handle this:

• visible on a section as a special link
  • then popup as a subsection or open as a dropdown "inline in the section" (teacher setting choice)
  • structure of subsection has three column parts: 1. resources 2 tasks 3 grading
    ( this way it is also a reusable learning object?)
  • maybe use the tabmetaphor here also for the three columns?

by Janet Hayes -
I have several course categories and because of the way we deliver training, it's common for the students to be working on more than one unit (course) at a time.

Presently they need to go into each course to find out what is recent activity. Will this improvement allow them to see all recent activity without having to go into each unit/course?

Also, one of my classes brainstormed this issue the other night and the suggestion was put that items stay in the recent activity area until the student has clicked on them. This assumes that if they have clicked on it, they have gone to the page and read it, however, of course, reading it doesn't mean acting on it. Having said that, I told the student I would add their idea here..best..janet

by Ger Tielemans -

I use this only now and then, this version of recent activity and like it more and more: saves me lot of mouse-clicks.. but then forget it..

So, please Martin, can you make this link available in the topleft menu on the frontpage of http://moodle.org/course/view.php or tune the layout of the current link a little bit (button look as a better hint, or in Moodle style an icon left of the text?)

by Debby Kilburn -

I really like this feature, but would like the ability to sort the recent activity list so that the most recent appears on the top of the list. Other than that, it works fine for me.

Debby Kilburn