What is Legacy site files

What is Legacy site files

by JC Dodo -
Number of replies: 4

Hello all,

What "Legacy sites files" mean and purpose in my moodle 2.2.1 after upgrading from 1.9?

Thanks. James 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to JC Dodo

Re: What is Legacy site files

by Derek Chirnside -

There are various defintions: unhealthy cludge with security holes to a great fix to help with upgrade to Moodle 2.

Here are the help files: http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Legacy_course_files

http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Managing_repositories#Legacy_course_files_in_new_courses

Well done for getting through an upgrade.  If this is your only question you have done well.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by JC Dodo -

Hi Derek,

So these files are having trouble to convert to Moodle 2.2.1 during the upgrade so it decided to put in this in a separate area called "legacy site files". Correct me if I'm wrong. But what is the used of this? Is it for let say I want to retrieved the files to course page and attached the file from "legacy course files"?

It is not 100% that I've upgraded exactly. Some plugins stated below have no updates for Moodle 2.x.x.

• elluminate
  • db2
  • hotpot
  • lam

If you guys can help me where to get updated of the plugin, I'll appreciate it

Thanks. James

In reply to JC Dodo

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

You are right, but hot potatoes has been upgraded for v2.x. You can get it here

Although I am sure that someone will tell me different, there seems to be no movement around the lam module, so you cannot expect to see an upgrade any time soon I would think.

I am fairly certain that support for db2 will reappear when Moodle for Mobiles makes its debut in v2.3 or thereabouts. However, this is an interesting one the technology may have been consoidered uneccessary for Moodle, there may be more readily available tols. You may want to look for it in the Moodle Tracker, see of there is any movement there.

Elluminate however, I do not think there is too much there either... but there may be if a Moodle tracker item is created and supported. 

On a more general note, when you create a page, a "server file" is created, which is used to store images and files in. You have access to that folder via the file picker.The thing I have found difficult has been to bulk upload images then access them via the page. It is somewhat tedious, and I am probably getting it wrong, but basic file handling seems to be more difficult in v2 than it was before. The price of additional security, so people tell me. Which gives me an idea.. mmmmmmmmm thinking.... will get back to you here...