A bit of silliness - bug sweepstake

A bit of silliness - bug sweepstake

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

We have recently passed MDL-30000 in the tracker.

Stealing an idea that the Mozilla project used to do, I am going to run a pointless sweep-stake for developers. You are invited to guess when bug MDL-40000 will be reported.

Rules:

1. You must be a Moodle developer to enter. My definition of Moodle developer is that either
Submit your guestimate of when issue MDL-40000 will be created in the format 2038-01-19 03:14:07. Time must be expressed in the Europe/London time-zone. That is, I will compare the entries with what I see when I am logged into the tracker. Entries must be received before MDL-32000 is filed. Enter by emailing me (email address in my profile) with 'Silly bug sweepstake' in the subject line.

Naturally, anyone being stupid (e.g. predicting a date tomorrow, an then writing a script to create 10000 bug reports) will be disqualified, or worse.

There is currenty no prise. If anyone wants to offer a prize, be my guest, but for now it is just for whatever glory might be available for making the best guess.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: A bit of silliness - bug sweepstake

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Just bumping this, because someone sent me another entry, which reminded me about it.

If you want to partake of the sillyness, you still can, but you need to get a move it. We are up to MDL-31741 already.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Dan Poltawski -

MDL-40000 came in last night 2013-03-04 20:24:00 (Europe/London)

Who won!?

In reply to Dan Poltawski

by Aparup Banerjee -

if there hasn't been any, i propose the winner is the reporter. He could have had the closest guess just prior to reporting it.

In reply to Aparup Banerjee

by Paul Nicholls -

"Entries must be received before MDL-32000 is filed" means that they'd be disqualified, unless they have a time machine wink

In reply to Dan Poltawski

by Tim Hunt -

The entries were, ... drum roll, ...

Tomasz (Tomek) Muras    2013-05-11 19:28:00
Gareth Barnard                 2013-06-24 09:24:48
Andrew Nicols                  2013-07-23 21:33:09
Anne Krijger                     2013-08-21 02:00:00
Dan Poltawski                  2013-10-09 08:07:06

So, the winnder is ... further drum roll, ...

Gareth! with an error of ~19.5 days.

Tomasz is second with an error of ~24 days.

And, Dan should probably stick to integrating bug fixes, rather than estimating wink

I said there was not a prize. It occurs to me that perhaps Gareth's prize should be to run the next competition (if we think it is worth doing). I think it was a mistake restricting it to just developers. Sorry.

Also, using bug 50000 for the next competition might be too far in the future. Perhaps 44444 would be better?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks Tim smile

I'm happy to run the next competition - it's a bit of fun smile.  I agree about the restriction, but also think to be manageable and in the spirit of contributing to the Moodle community that you need to have a forum badge like 'Moodle developer', 'Particularly Helpful Moodler' etc. or have a plugin in the plugin's database.

Perhaps the next issue should be postfixed with the next Moodle version like 45026.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Tim Hunt -

45026 is not a number that grabs me. I would go for 44444 45000 or 50000, but if you are going to organise this, it is your call.

Anyone with a forum badge would work. A more relaxed option would just be to say anyone who has made a forum post.

I required people to send me a link with their entry (e.g. to a commit on github), so it was easy to verify.

In terms of organising, I just made a spreadsheet on google docs (not shared with anyone!) and listed the entries in there, so it was pretty easy. Well, I only got 5 entries, so it really was no effort.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Tim,

Entirely up to you if you want me to run the next one.  But if I do, I'll stick with the entry criteria to avoid having to spend ages entering vast lists of entries.  I know it's a silly thing but also want to encourage some effort to make getting the 'badge' a bit harder.

45026 I saw as more of a challenge but it is not such an inspiring number.  So, 45000 is probably more in your face.

Cheers,

Gareth