Webquest module add-on: Webquest

Webquest module add-on: Webquest

by Juan Manuel Campos Leal -
Number of replies: 18

This has been done by a group of Spanish Teacher:

http://www.phpwebquest.org/

It has been developed a tool to create webquest. I hope it helps.

juanma

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Juan Manuel Campos Leal

Re: Webquest module add-on: Webquest

by Hernan Yonny Yapurasi Quelcahuanca -

Hola.

Dime, existe algun modulo WebQuest o esque piensan crear uno.

Para mi investigacion usare las WebQuest como actividades basadas en Internet. Y pienso utilizar Etiquetas, foros y tareas, como parte de ello.

Re: PHPWebquest - Looks Pretty Handy!

by Bill Warters -
I was excited to see the open-source phpwebquest code, and took the time to install it on my tech test server, an Xserve running Apache. While it would be nice if I understood Spanish enough to read more of the code, the interface is in english and looks pretty good and the install was easy enough. I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to integrate this into moodle, kind of like the way phpesp was added for surveys.

by Salvor Gissurardottir -

http://www.phpwebquest.org/  seem easy to use. I downloaded the English version 1.01 from sourceforge.net and followed the install instructions closely and it works fine.
Here is my phpwebquest:

http://www.samkoma.net/vefleidangrar/

It took less than five minutes to have my first webquest ready

It seems easy to adjust it and translate it into my language (Icelandic)
Here is my first phpwebquest:
http://www.samkoma.net/vefleidangrar/sukkulai/

phpwebquest makes one directory for each webquest with six webpages.

what I like about it is the ease of use - I have for years taught teachers and teacher ed. students to make webquests by using templates and making the webquest page  in Frontpage or Dreamweaver.

I think it is a good idea to combine webquest generatior such as phpwebquest with Moodle - making webquest one kind of activity

Salvör Gissurardóttir
Reykjavík, Iceland
http://www.asta.is

In reply to Salvor Gissurardottir

by antonio temprano -
Hi, I´m the developer of PHP Webquest. I´m glad to see you are using it and you like the results. At the moment I'm developing the 2.0 version for PHP Webquest. It will include the possibility of choose between webquest, tresasure hunt or miniquest, and will not create six static pages for each webquest, but the pages will be created dinamically when the client request them. The new version will include too a facility for seeing the results of the colors choosen before you start creating the webquest, and more templates (5).

When I finish it, I would like to make a module for moodle based on PHP Webquest. It depends on the free time I can aford.
In reply to antonio temprano

by W Page -

Hi Antonio!

I played with phpWebQuest when it was first noted here in the above post.

It was very intuitive and easy to use.

I think it would make a nice mod.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Jeffery Watkins -
I never could get that running WP1...

<offtopic>We need to talk about getting a NY MoodleMoot together.</offtopic>

Jeff

In reply to Jeffery Watkins

by W Page -

Hi Jeff!

Classes have ended for the summer with me so I can now take a deep breath and clear my head.  I will put up a NYC Moodle site so we can discuss a few things before having a "meet and great" or a "conference".  Even an informal chat at McDonalds might be a cool start, that is, in a constructionist way. smile

I will post a site address in the Social Forum by Tuesday.

Thanks for the nudge. big grin

WP1

In reply to W Page

by W Page -
Hi Jeff!

I am still working on the site.  I have not "slacked" off.  Will be in touch again.

WP1

In reply to Salvor Gissurardottir

by Ger Tielemans -
Why not just using Book in Moodle for creating the Quest? (..and combine it with forums, chats, memo(mail), journals and wiki modules and several blocks like: my files, search weblinks, referense, etc... for the students projects)
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Katherine Dimond -

I am new to Moodle (very new, I just started trying to set it up for my school... although I have been considering it for awhile) and I do not know very much about programing... but, part of the reason why I picked Moodle over WebCT and Blackboard for use at my school is becuase its's constructionist/collaborative modules lend themselves very well to creating a good "webquest"/projects based learning units. 

I like webquests in theroy, they are fantastic when you find a teacher who was put a lot of effort into one.  It is just an internet integrated project-based learning unit.  (Which plenty of people were doing before Bernie Dodge and Tom March came up with the term WebQuest; they have set up a good model for people to follow though.) 

I get frunstrated because creating a good project-based unit requires a degree of thinking which the plug-and-play webquest modules tend to remove.  The make-and-take "Webquest" creators that I have seen, (such as filimentality) do not typically create the best webquests as teachers tend to cut and paste from existing curriculum.  (Granted I will take it over the teachers not using technology at all, it is a good first step.)  But, the whole concept of creating a project-based unit revolves around the idea that curriculum should be built backwards from the authentic assessment task.  When consideting creating a WebQuest it is important to remember that lesson ideas that do not pass through certain cogintive filters may make for great classroom activities, but they won't make good authentic learning tools.  

I agree that the combination of tools offered in Moodle are already conducive to creating effective project-based learning units. 

In reply to Katherine Dimond

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Katherine,

I am very interested in the philosophy of webquests and effective designing.  Could you explain more about your interesting comment?

When consideting creating a WebQuest it is important to remember that lesson ideas that do not pass through certain cogintive filters may make for great classroom activities, but they won't make good authentic learning tools. 
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Katherine Dimond -

Ok, here it goes.  There is a difference between providing your students with a resource such as a link to the Library of Congress for a project that has the students participating in a mock supreme court trial... and providing them with a link to the page that has "the answer" you are looking for... too often teachers elect to to the second.  The plug-and-play webquest tools inadvertantly encourage/cause this to happen... there are a host of teachers out there trying to create webquests, because they are being required to use technology, without really understanding project-based/constructionist learning... in these cases the quests become little more than 2D workbooks.  It is traditional teaching in a different format.  For some the concept that they don't want their students to "waste time sifting through the net," overides the problem-solving side of the endeavor.  The quest then becomes superficial, student as tourist in the learning process.  I was atracted to Moodle because on these message boards one can see that this is a community of inquiry... a good internet integrated learning unit should get the students to collaborate and create that sort of community of inquiry either within the class, group, or even with others from around the world like here.  It should be a process that gets those involved to analize, synthesis, and evaluate... to question, test, experiment... in short think!  Going to a bunch of sites your teacher posted and then spiting it back to the class in a power point with some nice photos... is hollow.  Cyber-workbooks... are still just workbooks.  They don't promote higher order thinking... those sorts of projects only have merit (in my opinion) when the resources are not provided and the teacher is using it as a tool to have students demonstrate / practice research skills.

In reply to Katherine Dimond

by Art Lader -
I was atracted to Moodle because on these message boards one can see that this is a community of inquiry...

Well-stated, Katherine.

-- Art

by Art Lader -

Reading this thread reminds me of Williams Castillo... Anyone know how he is doing?

-- Art

In reply to Art Lader

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Is Williams Castillo the original developer of the old Moodle Webquest module which appears untouched for a while? Recently, I became interested in Webquests, not as a tool, but as a strategy for change in teaching institutions. It is a great format for driving staff development--everyone builds three webquests, shares them--you have an instant teaching library. 

I am thinking that when the Database Module comes on line, it will be a good base to store the metadata describing the quests, then combine other tools as Ger suggests--maybe Book is the integrating module.
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Art Lader -

Williams Castillo was very interested in this module a year (or two?) ago and was an active and helpful Moodler. And then he was gone.

-- Art

In reply to Art Lader

by Ger Tielemans -
I thought that he had other sorrows which go first. (a sick child?)
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Art Lader -

Yes, I believe that you are right, Ger.

-- Art