Assignment receipt

Assignment receipt

by Amanda Doughty -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

I have raised an issue for a new feature to be added to Moodle 2 to provide receipts for uploaded assignments.

Is anybody already working on this? If anybody else is interested in this feature, could you add your comments to the issue please?

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-28651

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Amanda Doughty

Re: Assignment receipt

by Nicholas Walker -

I can confirm that my own students regularly ask for reassurance that their assignments have indeed been successfully uploaded in the condition they sent them. A receipt would give them peace of mind and save me from having to demonstrate to the more anxious of them indivdually that I have indeed received their uploaded file.   

The benefits of such a feature would be peace of mind for anxious students and less "pestering" (for want of a better descriptor) for the teacher. 

In reply to Amanda Doughty

Re: Assignment receipt

by Damyon Wiese -

Hi Amanda,

It seems we are both looking at the same area in moodle (assignment management)! I have also been asked to develop this feature for Flinders University. I have not started work on it yet.

I will take a look at the WCEL functionality you linked to in the issue, in the meantime, I have a template for a receipt that was provided to me as requirements.

The receipt page should look something like this:

University Name

Assignment Submission Confirmation

You have successfully submitted your work

Student Details

Name: {firstname} {lastname}

Username: {Username}

ID Number: {ID number}

Email: {email}

Assignment Details

Course: {courseshortname+courseidnumber} {course name}

Assignment: {assignmenttitle}

Due Date: {duedate}

If Moodle Groups then:

Group: {groupname} (eg. Day/Time of Class/Tutors Name)

Submission Details

File(s) submitted: {filename(s)}

Or if online assignment:

Submission Text:

{text}

Date/Time Submitted: {submitteddate}

Submission Alert: {submissionalert} (eg. submitted 5 days early, submitted 2 days late)

Email subject: “Assignment submission confirmation – course short name – Assignment name”

Add Assignment Submission Confirmation options to Messaging section of profile.

Regards, Damyon

In reply to Damyon Wiese

Απάντηση: Re: Assignment receipt

by Andreas Panagiotopoulos -

Hello to all,

Well, facing the same problem to our students, I thought that it would be a solution to cc the emails that arrive to teachers when a student submits an assignment.

So, you can edit the file lib/moodlelib.php and in the function email_to_user (line about 4561) you can add the following code:

if(strchr($mail->Subject,"submitted assignment")){
        $mail->AddCC($mail->From = $from->email);
        }

I have added the above code in line 4732 and, in this way, I tell the mail function to send the email (that is sent to teacher and has sender the student ($from->email)) to the student as well.

To control that only specific email will be sent to both teachers and students, I filter the email subject with strchr php function.

I have first edited the file mod/assignment/lib.php file and the function email_teachers and I have set the desirable subject of the email ($postsubject variable in the email_teachers function). So I have added a text "submitted assignment" in this variable and, for my example, is

$postsubject = 'submitted assignment' . '.$strsubmitted.': '.$info->username.' -> '.$this->assignment->name;

I hope this will help you.

Regards,

Andreas

In reply to Andreas Panagiotopoulos

Re: Απάντηση: Re: Assignment receipt

by Tegan Smith -

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for your script this is quite helpful, the only issue I have is if you have more than one teacher in the course then the student will receive multiple emails. 

Do you know of an easy way to limit this so they only receive one?

Thanks,

Tegan