IE vs. FF

IE vs. FF

by R McPhee -
Number of replies: 9

I am a firefox user and I have had zero issues with RC1 until someone told me that my site was not working at all in IE8, so I loaded my site in IE 8 and sure enough...

Take a look at it in both browsers...

When I look at it in mine it seems to cut off and stop loading completly after the first course listing.

FYI - This is a straight install, no mods or editing of code in anyway...  I have tried a couple of other themes thinking that it may be that but I get the same effect.  Any ideas???

http://learning.rmcphee.com/

Average of ratings: -
In reply to R McPhee

Re: IE vs. FF

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Hello,

You are right.  There is a big problem with viewing your site in IE-8 .  I can't see the blocks and I can only see the first section on the home page.  You should report this in the Development Tracker.

I have to use IE because we have IE embedded in our desktop application and it opens the Moodle site.  However I don't have any problems seeing my whole site in both IE and FireFox.  I have also tested it in Chorme, Safari, and Opera with no problems.  I am using a modified version of the Fusion Theme.

The only problem I currently have with IE is that the Spell Checker in the HTML editor will not open in IE.  And if you type some text then try to run the spell checker, the text will not save.  I have reported this in Tracker at MDL-24795 but so far, there has been no response from the development team.

Clarence

In reply to R McPhee

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I don't have IE to hand so you could be right... but... are you 100% certain that you haven't inadvertently added any custom HTML or CSS? Have you copied and pasted any text from some other application that might have added markup, for example?

Easily the most common reason for this sort of thing is "broken" HTML having found its way onto the page.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

This is just a guess because I am not a coder but I looked at your site in FF and IE so concur with Clarence  - and you - but when I looked at the source code I saw a whole load of Microsoft Word stuff copied and pasted in. Might it be possible that this has stopped your site working properly in IE? (even thought it seems OK in FF?) How about removing the MS Word copied text - typing it in directly instead - and see if it improves?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by R McPhee -

I am sure that I have NOT added any code, modifications, or touched the CSS, however your are 100% right that I did copy and paste from MS Word, as I write things there and then copy them over...

I will go back right now and look at the source and take the 'crap' out and see what happens...

In reply to R McPhee

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Howard and Mary are right.

Ironically Microsoft code pasted from MS programs in the summary of Beginners Digital Phototgraphy Course (and possibly elsewhere later) breaks HTML in IE - but only in IE smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to R McPhee

by R McPhee -

UPDATE

I went back and removed all the MSWORD garbage from the HTML and the site loads fine now on the main page, however I think now that I have to go through every single page and see that there is no more in there within the courses...

Thanks for your help guys, and I hope this helps others as well as development...

Rob

In reply to R McPhee

by R McPhee -

UPDATE 2

I was noticing that the site was loading VERY SLOW...

This seems to have corrected this issue as well.  So anyone that is having performance issues may want to also check this thread and take a look at their code.

In reply to R McPhee

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Rob,

One of the first things I used to teach my students and colleagues when training the latter in the use of Moodle was to never ever copy -paste from MS Word into Moodle's HTML editor. It's a sure way to cause all sorts of problems.

Joseph