WebCT: a major shift of emphasis

Re: WebCT: a major shift of emphasis

by Dave Bethany -
Number of replies: 12

Great Information!!!!

My Master's thesis and practicum is directly linked to this. Entitled "Development and implementation of a blended synchronous/asysnchronous learning mangement system, through open source technology", this project will demonstrate the power, flexibility and cost effective attributes of open source systems.

I have developed and will be teaching an undergrad course using Moodle (asynch) and NEW (synch). All components of the course have been developed using only open source technologies. As far as I know, this will be the first time a true synch/asynch class has been conducted totally online, using only open source.

I'll keep you all up on how it goes, course starts on January 11.

Dave

In reply to Dave Bethany

by Mark Berthelemy -
Hi Dave,

What's the NEW application you're using?

Cheers,

Mark
In reply to Mark Berthelemy

by Dave Bethany -

NEW stands for Network Education Ware. It is a complete, online, live classroom system (like Centra or WebEx). It was developed by Dr. Mark Pullen of GMU and I've been using it for several years now. It is an excellent product. There is a major update going on now in it, after this is complete, I'll post the link to it.

I've been using NEW to do conversational English classes to students, all over the globe. Sound quality is fantastic, due in no small measure to its developer, John Walker of AutoCAD fame. It provides a great whiteboard feature, with full importation of almost any kind of fileand directable text chat. It has a web-tour feature and a great classroom recorder. I've added in application sharing and a few other tid-bits.

dave

In reply to Dave Bethany

by Mark Berthelemy -
Thanks Dave,

That sounds interesting. How easy is it to set up (both server and client side)?

Mark
In reply to Mark Berthelemy

by Dave Bethany -

Both are relatively easy to set up.

The server side runs under either Windows or Linux, the client side (as of now) is Windows only.

As to the server, you unzip the files to the program files area and run the batch files to start the servers. You simply need to alter a few lines in the configuration file for each class-server. These include port configurations. Multiple servers can be run on the same machine. A series of ports are assigned to each server.

A good rule of thumb-server side (without using the video) is 500mghz, 500 meg memory and 500 kbs upload for every 25 concurrent participants. Now, it really doesn't take that much, that would be if you set the system where it was running just wide open under unicast. It runs under either unicast or multicast, so a multicast would save a ton of bandwidth. Access from the client side can be very low. I have a student in Bulgaria who has a connection that MIGHT hit 30k on a good day and while we have some problems, it works well for him.

As to the client side, GMU has a strange install process, which can be very confusing. I created an installer which works very well. My ESL students master the installation process with no problems. It does require the Java Runtime Environment, which I include on my installed version. Total size of the installer, with the JRE, is about 8.5 meg..

While the client side can run on its own, I created a web page that allows the students to pick a "classroom" (server) and the method of entry to that classroom (with or without recorder or streaming playback of a recorded class). When they click on the link, a required client side configuration file (very small in size) is downloaded to their system and the classroom starts using their selected parameters.

This does mean that the person running the server must also create these client side config files, but it isn't as tough as it may seem. Each classroom can have about 6 different combinations of access. A series of sample config files are provided. The server operator just opens each file and changes the room name and port assignments. It takes me about 30 seconds per file to change them. In my installer version I provide all the files needed for 5 different "classrooms", the only thing that needs to be changed in these is the URL in each file telling the system where to go for the server. This change takes just a couple of seconds to accomplish.

A tunnel is created between the client machines and the server. This allows us to reduce any problems we have with NAT or firewalls. The newest version is using a stunnel (secure tunnel), which provides for encryption of the classroom information (voice, graphics, data).

There are some fixes going on now in the version 4, which should be completed in the next couple of weeks. I'll post the links to the sofware when these are done.

Dave

In reply to Dave Bethany

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers

Dave,

I just took a look at NEW, and it looks like the most promising synchronous opensource I've seen.  I have been looking for a whiteboard that has VOIP technology.  Thanks for this post, I am really looking forward to trying out your installer.  It would be cool to have something like this integrated as a "lecture" module for Moodle.

Chardelle

In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Dave Bethany -

Actually, if anyone wants, here is the link to the installer. You can try this out, remember, there are a couple of glitches in this latest version, but they are being fixed now. This only works with windows.

http://www.skooltek.com/ec101/downloads.htm

Use this link to enter Classroom Room 2, if you want to play with it. I'll set up a series of "guest accounts", some as student accts, one as a teacher acct. The userID and passwords will be the same, all lower case letters.

Teacher acct: guest1, guest1
Student accts: guest2, guest2
                     guest3, guest3
                     guest4, guest4

http://skooltek.com/ec101/enterclass.htm

Remember, choose classroom 2.

Also, here is a secondary link for teacher access. The reason for this is that I've created a second set of configuration files for the teacher. This gives other functions to the teacher that the student doesn't see.

http://skooltek.com/ec101/enterclassadmin.htm

Classroom Operations...

Once you enter the room, let the network test do its job. To speak, click on the REQUEST FLOOR button. This gives the person floor control, they can do whatever they want in the room. I presently have it set where anyone can write on or import things into the whiteboard, whether they have control or not. Due to the new secure tunnel, it can take 15 to 20 seconds for the voice to start linking between participants.

You can launch a webpage from the Launch URL box. The pink text box creates a private text chat between the Professor and the student. The White Text box creates a public text chat between all participants.

Import Window button imports any image held in your clipboard.

Import Next Slide allows you to place graphics onto the whiteboard.

Dave

davebethany@hotmail.com

In reply to Dave Bethany

by Tim Allen -
Hi Dave,

I too am very interested in the NEW software you have told us about. cool  I want to ask you about the use of video in this system.  Considerations of bandwidth aside, how well can this system handle online video, either synchronous or playback?  If this is possible, how does one import video into the software?

Thanks in advance,  smile
Tim.
In reply to Dave Bethany

by Mark Berthelemy -
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the very comprehensive answer.

All the best,

Mark
In reply to Dave Bethany

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators

Hi Dave!

Regarding the NEW installation, then I wonder if you can recommend a good host that has Java Runtime Environment (and MySql) on the server-side?

Anyone are welcome with suggestions too.

Thank you!

BR
Jens

In reply to Dave Bethany

by Scott McCulloch -
Do you know if they're likely to develop a Mac OS X version? NEW looks pretty cool, and could solve some problems for us - but our server is Mac and most of our clients are Mac also. (I notice there's a Linux client beta - so I'm hoping Mac will be coming too.)
In reply to Dave Bethany

by John Doe II -

Hi Dave,

I've been different catching posts on NEW (Network EducationWare) around Moodle forums. Just here I found one little magic word: "application sharing" that you clain you added to NEW.

What exactly did you do? What technology did you use? Can you tell us more about it?

As I see it, this is a crucial feature as it gives you the flexibility to use any application teacher-side and thus lets the teacher pick the one more appropriate for the presentation.

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Best regards.

In reply to Dave Bethany

by aliaa badr -

hello dave,

can u give me some more information regarding dealing with an open source like NEW, how u were able to figure out its architecture?was this task simple or hard.

thanks