Hotpot 2.0

Hotpot 2.0

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 20
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi all,

Unfortunately the hotpot module is not going to be ready in time for Moodle 2.0 RC1 (don't blame Gordon!), so rather than include it in the package as a broken module, I'll have to move it to contrib for now and make it separate from the core distribution.

If anyone upgrades to Moodle 2.0 without realising, everything should work fine. The hotpot activities will simply not be shown. When Hotpot is added later the activities will re-appear.

Hopefully Hotpot can make a return later.

MDL-23450
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Hotpot 2.0

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Just a note to let HotPot forum readers know that the HotPot module for Moodle 2.0 is coming on well.

The following functionality is finished (but probably needs polishing)
  • add/delete/update a HotPot activity
  • view/attempt/submit a HotPot activity
  • view HotPot reports: overiew, scores, responses, item analysis
  • backup and restore a HotPot activity
    (and associated attempts, questions, responses and strings)
The following functionality will be implemented next:
  • upgrade source files from Moodle 1.9 to Moodle 2.0 format
  • review responses in an individual HotPot attempt
  • the HotPot click trail report
FYI, the HotPot for Moodle 2.0 is a complete rewrite of the HotPot module. It relies extensively on ideas and program code used in the development of the QuizPort module which runs on Moodle 1.x. For this reason, the TaskChain module, when it is complete, should be able to upgrade smoothly from both the QuizPort module (for Moodle 1.x) and HotPot for Moodle 2.0 module.

I am very grateful to Martin D. for sponsoring the work to upgrade the HotPot module to Moodle 2.0 compatability approve

best regards to all - and happy HotPot-ing !
Gordon
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Thanks Gordon - HotPot is very useful and important to us so we appreciate it

by Rosemary Camilleri -
Gordon,
I love my HotPots. I run Moodle 1.9.7. I can see that I need to upgrade to QuizPorts so I will be ready when I finally adopt 2.0.

Where can I find the instructions on how to change my HotPots to QuizPorts?

I'm sure there are instructions because you are always so helpful and clear for users--I'm extremely grateful.
Rosemary
In reply to Rosemary Camilleri

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Rosemary,
I'm glad to hear the HotPot module is working well for you approve

You do not *need* to upgrade to QuizPort. In fact, you can't really upgrade from HotPot to QuizPort. You can install QuizPort and start making *new* QuizPort activities, but you cannot convert your HotPot activities to QuizPort activities.

Actually there is a conversion script which I have developed but it is not publicly available. I will use it as the basis for conversion of HotPot for Moodle 2.0 activities to TaskChain activities, when the time comes.

At the moment, you do not need to upgrade to QuizPort.

When you have time though, I recommend you upgrade to Moodle 1.9.9 so that your Moodle site is operating as smoothly and securely as possible.

best regards
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -
Hi Gordon,

I am not clear about Quizport/Taskchain and Moodle 2.0.

My host is working towards upgrading to Moodle 2.0. Will my Quizports work?

Thank you.

Deborah
In reply to Deborah Delin

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Deborah,

> I am not clear about Quizport/Taskchain and Moodle 2.0.

I will try to explain very clearly.

The upgrade path for QuizPort will be ...
  • QuizPort for Moodle 1.x
  • -> TaskChain module for Moodle 2.x
The upgrade path for HotPot will be ...
  • HotPot module for Moodle 1.x
  • -> HotPot module for Moodle 2.x
  • -> TaskChain module for Moodle 2.x
At the moment, QuizPort doesn't work on Moodle 2.x, and TaskChain is not written.

> My host is working towards upgrading to Moodle 2.0.
> Will my Quizports work?

Hopefully the above explanation has answered this, but just to make sure there is no misunderstanding, I will say that I think the truest answer to your question is ...
  • QuizPorts will not work on Moodle 2.0 until TaskChain is written.
Therefore, I advise you stay on Moodle 1.9 until TaskChain becomes a reality.

I hope I can work on TaskChain over the New Year and Feb/Mar breaks.

best regards
Gordon
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Gordon,

Is this available for download yet?  I tried to install the latest version from contrib and it would not install (it just hung on the plugin upgrade screen).  I am running 2.0 on a test site right now and having spent the last year creating hotpot quizzes for my Spanish teachers to use, cannot move forward without this functionality.

Would appreciate any help you can give me and am more than willing to be a guinea pig in testing out the module!

Emma

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Emma,

oh, there maybe a problem if you are upgrading. I have some modifications in the works, but they are currently on my testing server awaiting some final checks. I will probably be able to get that done later this week. Sorry to keep you waiting. I will post a message here when the new scripts are available.

Gordon

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks - have run into several problems upgrading already so ready to tackle some more~~thanks for your work on this.

by Mathieu PLAS -

Hi!

I got some problems with my upgrade to 2.0. First I didn't install the new hotpot module (I didn't know it moved to contrib) and the upgrade hanged and said I need to install it. And know I got a php error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM in /home/matplas/public_html/moodle/mod/hotpot/locallib.php on line 469

l looked to this line but I don't know your code and I don't why this is wrong. This is the line:

if (in_array($sourcetype, $class::sourcetypes())) {

Can someone help ?

In reply to Mathieu PLAS

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Mathieu,

if HotPot activities are important to you please stay with Moodle 1.9 for another couple of weeks. Otherwise, I suggest you install Moodle 2.0 without HotPot.

I have a version for HotPot for Moodle 2.0 that works pretty well on my testing server, but I have not commited the scripts to the Moodle CVS repository yet, because there is a slight hitch with the updating scripts. I hope I can sort those out very soon.

sorry to keep you waiting!
Gordon

by Noel Houghton -

Hi Gordon,

Since the latest post I could find on HotPot was back in Dec 2010, I was wondering what the latest information is regarding it's availability for 2.0?

Noel

In reply to Noel Houghton

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Noel,

the latest information is that that HotPot for Moodle is available, and has been for a while, from the Moodle downloads page (which leads eentually to my server). The module handles upgrades from Moodle 1.9, and for the most part is pretty stable.

Gordon

enjoy !
Gordon

by Fran Greyling -

Hello Gordon

We recently upgraded to Moodle 2.0.2.  The installation is hosted by an outside service provider (Serve-Hosting:  http://www.serv.co.za/).

We need to use HotPotatoes in our courses, but the add-in has not been installed.  We downloaded the HotPot module from the link your provided, but need instructions on how and where to install the module.

We are not techies and need to manage our own installation.

Can you help with this, please?

Regards,

Fran

In reply to Fran Greyling

by Gordon Bateson -

The zip file contains the following two folders:

• hotpot
    this folder should be uploaded to your Moodle "mod" folder
  • question/format/hotpot
    this folder should be uploaded to your Moodle "question/format/hotpot" folder

hope that's clear, but if not, feel free to ask for clarification smile

regards
Gordon

by Clare Wallace -

Have only just managed to download Moodle 2 and its great to note that this module will be back in Moodle 2..............I came into the forum to ask this very question as I couldn't find it in the setting and thought I was "missing" something......

I really rate getting students to make hotpot quizzes and then uploading the best ones as revision to moodle - its so easy for them - so thank you for sorting this out for Moodle 2

Clare

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Deborah Delin -
Great news Gordon!

Well done!

Deborah
In reply to Deborah Delin

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Gordon,

That's wonderful! Now I feel motivated to start really looking at Moodle 2 - without Hot Potatoes or TaskChain it was useless for the kind of courses I create.

Cheers,
Glenys