Lamplite theme for Moodle 2

Lamplite theme for Moodle 2

by Richard Oelmann -
Number of replies: 12
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I have just submitted a theme for Moodle2, currently waiting for approval.

It is intended to be a relatively lightweight theme, but includes the Moodle2 custom menus and a profile block based on the one from Shaun Daubney's Aardvark series of themes and their variations.

Please let me know if there are any bugs or improvements for me to work on.

Click here to visit my page to download the theme

Richard
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Oelmann

Re: Lamplite theme for Moodle 2

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Richard,

I see Lamplite has now been approved! smile

http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=26&rid=3990

screenshot.png
In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -
Hey, Yeah! smile
As Mary points out - Lampplite is now approved
Hope (at least some of) you like it!!! Let me know if there are any problems to fix or developments that could be included.

Richard

by Jon Williams -

Hi great theme just one beginner question, if i want to add my navigation along the top as you have in this screen grab which file do i need to edit?

I can not find it and it is probably a school boy error

thanks

J

In reply to Jon Williams

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Jon,

I'm glad you like the theme - it has deliberately been kept as simple and as light as possible so that beginners (like me!) can make changes to suit themselves as easily as possible.

As such, the menu on the screenshot is simply the menu built into the Moodle2 main theme options page. I can write later this evening (when I'm home from work and have access to my laptop with moodle2 on it) to give you more details if you need, or check out the discussion here

Hope that helps

Have fun with moodle smile

Richard

by William Ratto -

Richard I just love your lamplite theme. I am a real newbie concerning theme design and editing.

Because of the way you designed your theme I was able to plod along to get the look I need. Again thank you for all your work.

I would like to know how I could do away with the profilepic, I need more room and would like to change the size of the login profile block or move it someplace else. My school title is rather long.

Sincerely

William Ratto

In reply to William Ratto

by Richard Oelmann -

I'm glad you like it William.

One of my main reasons for creating this theme was to help me, and hopefully others, to learn some of the basics, so I am happy that you have found it useful for that purpose.

There are several ways to remove the profilepic, but the easiest (and the easiest to reverse if you change your mind, or want to use the code in the php file for another theme at some stage) is to edit the profilepic line in core.css to add display:none; to the css style

#profilepic {display:none;float:right;margin:8px;width:75px;height:75px;border:2px solid #000066;}

To change the size of the block, the line above this is

#profileblock {float:right;text-align:center;max-width:420px;}

and changing the max-width value will alter the size of the block.

Alternatively if you did want to remove it completely, for example if you wanted to use a different login sideblock, then in both the frontpage.php and general.php files find and comment out or delete the lines

<div id="profileblock">
<?php {
include('profileblock.php');}
?>
</div>

Hope this helps smile

Richard

by William Ratto -

HI Richard,

I really appreciate the quick response, I have told quite a few of my fellow moodlers that I think they should use your theme "lamplite" , it is a great theme very lightweight and easy to understand and configure. I think you have hit a "home run". I wish more theme developers would follow your lead and remember that there are alot of us who are not developers but end users.

I have another question - is it possible to have the custom menu do the following:

Some links visable always whether your logged in or not, is there a way to have different links appear when users login? and dissapear when users logout?

If I can ever be of help to you, please do not hesitate to let me knowsmile

Again thank you,

William

In reply to William Ratto

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi William,

It's very kind of you to be encouraging others to use my theme smile I think there's a place for all sorts - for those who push the boundaries of what the themes can do as well as those with the more basic themes, both for people to learn from and because they meet different needs for different users on different sites.

As for the menu and different users being logged in, I did something like this in my school theme which was based on Moodle 1.9 and used the yui menu from some of the later Aardvark themes. So yes it is possible - because it should be possible to take the menu code from the 1.9 theme and use that in place of the Moodle 2 custom theme, although I haven't actually done it at the moment and am just assuming there would be no script clashes. I don't think it can be done using the custom menu in Moodle 2 which makes it so easy to add the links in the first place.

An alternative might be to use a side block with the user specific links so that the main menu stays as the straightforward Moodle 2 menu system. An html side block with the links could then be created and made visible using user roles or permissions?

I will take a look at this as it will be useful when I upgrade my school site to Moodle 2 in the near future - although it might take some time as I don't get much chance to 'play' at the moment with school Christmas shows and Carol Concerts just around the corner smile

Richard

by Deyvid Aciprest -

Hi Richard!
Use your template on my limplite ambient, and is translated into Portuguese Brazil, but I can not change the welcome message from login "You are logged on as:" where the filestructure can change this message?
Thank you for your attention and congratulations for the development of tamplate.

In reply to Deyvid Aciprest

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Deyvid. I'm glad you like the theme and find it useful, it was one of my first attempts at building a Moodle2 theme when the theming structure for Mdl2 seemed to be still developing smile Although I think it remains a good,simple theme for people starting out to look at, you should also bear in mind that Moodle theming has moved on considerably since that theme was written - hence the reason I have not moved it over to the new themes/plugins database and have not updated that theme for about 18months smile

That particular language string is hard coded into the profileblock.php (in my defence I was still learning about themes and language files etc at the time :D) and would need to be changed there - or better still add your repalcement language string in your language file and change the hard coded phrase into a proper call for the language string.

Richard

by Deyvid Aciprest -

Richard,

I got, I located the file and changed the expression of the message log ... Thanks for thequick service and once again congratulations on your template. Actually it is very useful for my environment and made some adjustments as well.
Thank you.
Deyvid.