link to folders on the school internet

link to folders on the school internet

by Libby Busch -
Number of replies: 7
At my previous school I was able to go to a topic in one of my courses and then add a resource. I would then "display a directory" At this point there was a prompt to browse our network and find the folder I was looking for. The folder is a general folder in a specific drive on our network. Work could be easily saved and edited in this folder but the link continued for the students to directly go to this folder.
Can you tell me which plugin enables this?
Many thanks,
Libby Busch
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Libby Busch

Re: link to folders on the school internet

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
in site administration you or your admin need to go to modules>activities>resource>and tick the "allow local files" box
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Cool tip!

I went and enabled this on my own test site, but couldn't get it to work (1.9.9). I can use the "Choose Local File" button, can browse to local files, and locate a test file, but when I try to choose it it doesn't insert any path into the Location. It let's me Save and display or save and return to course, creates the resource, but it doesn't open any files.

I tried from a CD Rom, but that gave this error:

Sorry, the requested file could not be found
More information about this error
Stack trace:
line 5842 of lib/weblib.php: call to debugging()
line 191 of file.php: call to print_error()
line 103 of file.php: call to not_found()

Is this a new bug or could it be something with my hosting (Bluehost) or server settings?

In reply to Joseph Thibault

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'v never tried it to be honest smile I will go and have a go on our school test Moodle (not ther real one  but it is a 1.9.8 so won't necessarily act the same)

Edit (back) Well I managed to get it to link to a local file and the path came up in the location box:

LOCALPATH\2007-2008\4-8feb\fri8\fff.pdf

So I saved it but then when I tried to view it, I got the following incorrect URL

http://training.olchs.lancs.sch.uk/2007-2008/4-8feb/fri8/fff.pdf

with a"page not found" Perhaps there is some other setting - file path change -that need to be configured; I don't know - I will take a look

On the other hand - maybe it just doesn't work!  I saw a tracker item from years back that is still open

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Stuart Mealor -
Linking to files on a CD is (AFAIK) not possible in Moodle now - because browsers view this as a highly insecure operation.
In reply to Stuart Mealor

by HJWUCGA INC. -
Maybe if you mount it a drive and copy the contents from the CD to the mounted point, it could work
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This feature worked years ago with very old browsers like IE4 and Netscape (and was a cool feature!) but none of the browsers allow this now because it's very insecure to let the web link to files anywhere on your computer. The setting is gone in 2.0.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks for the clarification. It's a pretty neat trick (if it worked) and I can think of several applications; but I do understand why it was/is being removed.

-Joe