Problems with Ajax Drag and Drop

Problems with Ajax Drag and Drop

by Kieran Briggs -
Number of replies: 15
Hi All,

I recently upgraded our moodle to 1.9.7 so I could take advantage of the ajax drag and drop.

In the main its great but I've got a problem which I don't understand.

In a couple of courses the ajax D&D only works in some sections and not in other sections. See the screen shot for an illustration - All the documents in section 10 can't be dragged around but in the sections AFTER that they all can.

Does anyone know why this is?

Screenshot of moodle with Ajax problem
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kieran Briggs

Re: Problems with Ajax Drag and Drop

by Leo Dil -
Which browser did you tested it with? If you are using Chrome, you may have problems with Ajax in Moodle. Did you try Firefox?
In reply to Leo Dil

by Kieran Briggs -
The screenshot is in Firefox 3.6 PC.  what is confusing me is that its working on some activities/resources but not others.

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Kieran,

I have found the Ajax "drag and drop" tool to be unreliable and there have been quite a few bug reports about it. Pity, because being able to drag-drop elements on the screen is quite user-friendly ... when it works. Anyway, here are a few suggestions:

• Try displaying your moodle course in as many different browsers (and browser versions) as possible to eliminate a browser-specific problem.
  • In the example above, move topic "Session Eleven" to Topic 11 (that's how "sections" are called in moodlespeak" and "Session Twelve" to Topic 10.
  • Try to remove the "label" Evaluation own practice and Planning the next steps etc. There might be something there causing the problem under it.

By the way, I don't think it's a good idea for your Topic titles to be displayed in blue, since blue is the reserved color for hyperlinks; students might be tempted to click on those blue labels, which lead nowhere.

ATB

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Kieran Briggs -

Hi Joseph,

I tried moving the sessions around and the D&D was still only working in the sessions where it was originally, which I guess is a step forward at least in figuring it out.

Yeah, you don't have to tell me about the blue smile  but the college has a policy of letting the teachers control the courses themselves and as much as I tell them, they don't listen...

Thanks from a frustrated web developer..

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi there,

I have this problem too. I've reported it in the tracker: MDL-21926

I've also noticed that in Opera 10.51 Ajax doesn't work at all.

Cheers,
Glenys
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Kieran and Glenys,
Are using a Mac, by any chance?
Joseph

by Kieran Briggs -
No, been using checking it on Win XP using a variety of browsers and the ones where I expect it to work are having this problem of only attaching the ajax to some assets.

Topics and sections

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Joseph,

I think "section" is in fact Moodlespeak wink and a useful one because it includes both "topics" and "weeks". It's used this way here http://docs.moodle.org/en/Course_sections

Cheers,
Glenys
Attachment screenshot_06.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Re: Topics and sections

by Kieran Briggs -
I've done some testing with this problem and what I've found out about this problem is that in a section, if there is a list in the summary then the Ajax D&D does not work.

Has anyone else noticed this?

by Joseph Rézeau -
did you do this further to my advice "Try to remove the "label" Evaluation own practice and Planning the next steps etc. There might be something there causing the problem under it." ? Was that label (or something in it) the culprit then?
Jospeh

by Kieran Briggs -
No, it wasn't the label. They are fine.

Its if the section summary area has a list in it. For some reason when it sees a list it takes the ajax off.

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi there,

I confirm what Kieran has discovered: if the section summary has a list in it Ajax doesn't work. I've removed my lists and everything is fine.

The problem is the same on Mac & XP, in Firefox & IE.

Cheers,
Glenys

by Joseph Rézeau -
Hi Glenys and Kieran,
I've tried to put text with a list in a Topic/Section summary and I am still able to move topics around with the Ajax facility. So for me the bug does not exist. Maybe if one of you (or both) would post here exactly the complete text including lists that, when present in a Topic's summary, makes Ajax go away, I would test it.
ATB
Joseph
Attachment image00.jpg