Moodle I-Dock

Moodle I-Dock

by Jonathan Konrad -
Number of replies: 20
A very cool looking addition. I'm having some kind of problem getting it to load properly. Instead of a Dock, I get three rows of icons, all the same size.

When I roll over them the buzz around like a swarm of angry bees. The name of the course does float above, and if I click down, the link if followed. However, I can not tell which icon I am clicking on, and it is not a dock interface.

I have put the last piece of html code in the footer, or in the page as a label or a topic. Always the same result, just changes where on the page I get the swarm of icons.

Thanks for any help.

Module Reference: http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=3576
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jonathan Konrad

Re: Moodle I-Dock

by Gavin Henrick -
Picture of Plugin developers
Had similar issue, the icons appear vertical and dont behave as expected, quite odd smile

In reply to Gavin Henrick

by Craig Sumner -
I had this problem when i first began to align the dock here at hamble, this issue was to do with a setting for the alignment in the dock.css when i changed it to Center rather than absolute and that caused it to go to vertically.

In reply to Craig Sumner

by Dan Humpherson -
To alter the alignment you need to adjust the jQuery held in Footer.html, there's an alignment setting in there somewhere, think by default its set to left.
In reply to Dan Humpherson

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Dan,

I'm just testing this with the view of including it in a Moodle 2.1 theme.

I need to make sure it works first. I have made some minor adjustments like adding the scripts into separate php files and calling them into the header and footer as 'php includes'.

However, I'm having a problem understanding the logic behind the naming of the css file 'Dock.css' and the fact that the link in the header is pointing to 'docstyles.css'?

Mary

by Claire Browne -
Hi,

I have the same problem, i cant get them horizontal in one line.

Mine swarm around like angry bees.

by Michael Jenkins -
Hello All,

I am happy to see that so many people are interested in this block, but I was mearly the messenger in this post.

The people that you need to contact for support on this are as follows.

Krisitan Still - kstill@hamblecollege.co.uk - Requested this to be put online. Also a very enthusiastic teacher (Director of E-Learning) Good person for motivational moodle talks.

Also you can tweet

MoodleDan

for support on this module.

Many thanks and good luck

In reply to Michael Jenkins

Moodle I-Dock - Puzzled

by Alan Haywood -
Could somebody help me please.

I'm following the "how to" word doc for the installaion procedure. At the last item I became confused.

The doc says: "Finally paste the following code into your moodle page under html editing."

Where is this moodle page; is it a file or a particular page on my Moodle installation?

Thank you and excuse my ignorance.

Alan

In reply to Alan Haywood

Re: Moodle I-Dock - Puzzled

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there - without looking at the files, so off the top of my head - I think they mean - on your front page with the editing turned on, click the edit icon of the topic summary (or even add a label) and then click on the code view icon (second from the left at the bottom of the toolbar) Then paste the code in and save it.
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Moodle I-Dock - Puzzled

by Alan Haywood -
Thank you. This makes perfect sense. I'll try it and let you know.

by Jonathan Konrad -
Here is a quick video of how it looks on my test server. The video is maybe 5 frames a second so in reality it buzzes around faster than your eye can track.

Any thoughts? Thank you.

http://screencast.com/t/ODllMWYyM

by Daniel Stucke -
Mine is similar, although it eventually ends ina perfectly vertical line.

I wondered if it was the header reference to docstyles.css - when the file that is added on install is dock.css. However changing the header html to reference dock.css still didn't help.
In reply to Daniel Stucke

by Dan Humpherson -
I'd really like to help all of you with your problems.

If one of you could supply me with:

1. URL to your Moodle site
2. Login details

If i can locate the common issue we can adjust the documentation and issue a fix for existing users.

I can be contacted here: moodledesign@gmail.com or on Twitter: @moodledan

by Jonathan Konrad -
Aha. I'm closer now. Craig Sumner sent along a different dockstyle.css file, which I uploaded into the root of my current theme. However, the link in the header.html file read like this;

<link rel=StyleSheet href="<?php echo $CFG->wwwroot.'/theme/'.
current_theme() ?>/docstyle.css" TYPE="text/css" MEDIA=screen>

So I changed the reference to :

<link rel=StyleSheet href="<?php echo $CFG->wwwroot.'/theme/'.current_theme() ?>/dockstyle.css" TYPE="text/css" MEDIA=screen>

And it loads in a single line on the bottom. I can tell what it wants! Yeah! Now I have a new alignment problem.

First, the line is not on the bottom center. Second, the swell or bubble does not follow the mouse. Here is a screen shot video.

http://screencast.com/t/MzUwYmYyN2Et

Jon.

BTW, for me it does not matter where I put the last piece of html code. I can put it on the front page in topic 0, I can put it anywhere on the page in a label, or I can put it in the header.html or footer.html of the theme. They all load the same.

I've attached that new dockstyle.css file here.

by Dan Humpherson -
Try this CSS in dockstyle.css:

#dock2 img {
border: none;
}
#dock2 {
width: 100%;
top: 900px;
height: 40px;
position: center;
left: 0px;
}
.dock-container2 {
position: absolute;
background: url(images/dock-bg.gif);
padding-left: 20px;
}
a.dock-item2 {
display: block;
font: bold 12px Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
width: 40px;
color: #37589F;
bottom: -45px;
position: absolute;
text-align: center;
text-decoration: none;
}
.dock-item2 span {
display: none;
padding-left: 0px;
}

.dock-item2 img {
border: none;
margin: 5px 10px 0px;
width: 85%;
}
.generalbox {
position: relative;
}

by Jonathan Konrad -
Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry, making these changes has no effect in the offset issue. The icons are lined up nicely, but the are not dead center on the page, and they expand about two inches to the left of where the mouse is.

I made the change to the .css file earlier in the day, but not change in the result.

Jon

by Dan Humpherson -
Did you replace all the current dock css with the above CSS? If not please try that.

failing that Jon can you supply me with a link to your site with the Dock showing?

by Jonathan Konrad -
I did replace and fix. Still no dice.

Here is the test site: http://www.brhs.ab.ca/moodle/course/view.php?id=31

I'll message you the login credentials. Recently I tried to put it into topic 0 on that site as opposed to just a label. Now it's worse!

Jon

by Dan Humpherson -
Jon, I've sent you a message to an updated version.

Will be releasing to everyone else shortly!!

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Dan.

I was wondering if there have been any developments since March 2010 on this wonderful docking menu system. I've tried it myself on my website, but with no success. I get 3 rows of icons and they don't buzz around like bees at all. Would love to have them working just like William's site:

http://www.hallsville.org/elementary/cunningham/moodle/

Hope to hear from you.
Frankie Kam, Melaka, Malaysia!