Moodle for mobile browsers

Moodle for mobile browsers

by Ali Khan -
Number of replies: 8
Hi Guys,

I think its about time Moodle hits mobile browsers. The standard layout takes a while to load up on any mobile browsers and it would be nice to access Moodle from my phone so that it can load up fast and I can navigate pretty easily.

I have checked out projects like the Momo Moodle which is java based but it is not really compatible with most mobile browsers. I have also checked out the japanese CHTML plug-in and it doesnt look so pretty on most mobile browsers.

I have recently created a mobile version of our website and auto detect feature which sniffs out mobile browsers and re-directs them to the mobile site.

Now I am thinking of creating something similar for our Moodle site. Although it is easy said then done. It will be a challenging task (and weeks of work) to come up with something like that.

My question to you fine people is....... is there already something out there? it could be a CSS theme or a plugin. Whatever it is please let me know as I do not want to duplicate.

Many thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ali Khan

Re: Moodle for mobile browsers

by Bryan Williams -
Ali,

Mobile is on the radar. Moodle mobile may resemble a smart phone application that pulls certain information (e.g., Calendar, Forums, Grades, Quiz and Glossary) from more than one course to an intuitive dashboard. Loading an entire site in a phone browser is possible of course, but has many limitations. Complicating the issue just a little is the sudden popularity of e-readers (Kindle, Sony, iPad etc.). These devices use either e-pub or the mobi format.

This past weekend I had fun loading content onto my Kindle after using Mobi Pocket Creator to convert several file formats (PDF, Word, HTML etc.). I then started messing around with Calibre, which is open source and has a fairly mature developer API. Very nice application and it will create/convert content for all e-reader formats.

While playing with Calibre it occurred to me that wouldn't it be nice if we enabled Book module in Moodle to output its content (clean HTML), send it to a Calibre file conversion service and then broadcast it to a students e-reader if his/her Profile had the information needed.

Thoughts welcome! smile
In reply to Bryan Williams

by Ali Khan -

Hi Bryan,

Your suggestion about the Calibre file conversion with Moodle sounds good but there will be many hardware drawbacks.

If Moodle resources are converted on the fly then it would use up alot of CPU and memory on the server. This will slow down the speed on the server, hence slower page loads or database access.

I think the mobile file conversion would have to take place on a seperate server to avoid all the CPU and Memory drainage.

The thing that I am worried about is, whether the calibre application will have to convert Moodle resources in more then one format? as there are many type of e-readers out there that read different formats.

As you mentioned about smartphone application, I think it will work brilliantly too but I also think that a mobile web version will also work as well as the app version. Looking at how Facebooks application works and how their mobile site works, there isnt much difference (apart from the flashy page slides) and Facebook is also as complex as Moodle. The differences start showing when selecting the text version.

I think I will keep an eye on Lewis Carrs development of the mobile safari version of Moodle (which only works for iPhone safari browsers).

In reply to Ali Khan

by Frank Ralf -
JFTR

There's another (older but revived) discussion over at Moodle for Mobiles Project. I would suggest closing that one and using this thread here instead.

Frank
In reply to Ali Khan

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Ali,

I would suggest getting in touch with Lewis Carr, he's near releasing a Mobile theme for Moodle using the process you described above.

http://lewiscarr.co.uk/content/2010-my-year-moodle-code-releases-and-finished-iphone-theme

-Joe
In reply to Joseph Thibault

by Ali Khan -

Hi Joseph,

many thanks for the link.  I was not aware of such development. It occurs that the format lewis is writing only works for the iPhone/iTouch safari browser.

I will get in touch with him

Thanks

In reply to Ali Khan

by Jason Haag -
Hi,

I'm looking for use cases where organizations or vendors have implemented SCORM as part of the mobile learning strategy. If you have a use case please contact me. I'm interested in real success stories and I would like to add you to the list. If you are using SCORM, I could send a few questions if you are interested or set up a time to chat.

We will be sharing the results of this research and I will also briefly cover this during my session at the upcoming mLearnCon event (http://www.mlearncon.com ).

So far I have already heard of several use cases where organizations are using SCORM as part of their mobile learning initiative. I'm interested in mobile learning as part of either training or performance-support scenarios. I'm also interested in hearing from mobile vendors about their technical approach to their SCORM implementation. I'm tracking this and communicating with the community on twitter using the hashtag #MobileSCORM
(
http://www.twapperkeeper.com/hashtag/MobileSCORM ).

Please contact me if you know of a mobile application or mobile learning situation that supports SCORM. I would love to hear from you!

+1-850-266-7100
Email: jason.haag.ctr@adlnet[dot]gov