Mnet Authentication plugin "auto create users" option - does anyone turn this off?

Mnet Authentication plugin "auto create users" option - does anyone turn this off?

by Penny Leach -
Number of replies: 6
hi,

I'm looking at mnet in moodle 2.0 and the current state of things and I'm wondering if we can just get rid of this setting and force it to on.

I can't see any conceivable case for having it turned off - I don't think mnet would work around it, and indeed the documentation here:

http://docs.moodle.org/en/Moodle_Network#Setup

says to turn it on, unconditionally:

On both, go to Admin > Users > Authentication and enable Moodle Network authentication plugin. Click on 'Settings' and enable auto_add_remote_users.

If we removed this setting from 2.0 and just made Moodle auto create all users , would this affect anyone negatively?

I would really appreciate answers from the moodle network users as soon as possible, I only have a short window on which to work on mnet for 2.0.

Thanks!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Penny Leach

Re: Mnet Authentication plugin "auto create users" option - does anyone turn this off?

by Penny Leach -
Wow - no feedback at all sad

I'm removing this setting completely now.
In reply to Penny Leach

Re: Mnet Authentication plugin "auto create users" option - does anyone turn this off?

by Peter Bulmer -
Hi smile

I saw some discussion in the bug tracker that I thought I might contribute to here:

A lot of our clients turn it off.

When it's off, the identy provider admin enrols their users in remote courses using the networking->enrolments interface. This creates users, and enrols them in the course on the CP.

With this setting on, any user from the identity provider can land at the CP without have any course enrolment. They end up creating an account at the CP, and not really having any reason to be there, and then leave -> hundreds of meaningless accounts.
In reply to Peter Bulmer

by Penny Leach -
Pity I already removed it sad

How urgent do you think it is on a scale of 1 to 10 to have this? I stopped working again for Moodle HQ and am back to my normal day job and adding this back isn't really a priority for me.

Also adding it back the way it was is probably no good either - there should probably be two separate settings for this if we're going to have any.
In reply to Penny Leach

by Frank Dressler -
Hi,

I am switching my many-schools-moodle-instance just at this time to a a one-core-many-databases network. At the end there will be a main-instance for the whole community and one instance for each school.

A user of a school instance may be interested to use the community site, may be not. If the switch (auto create user) is on, and if a I have no written permission from the user, storing his data to another database can cause a lot of trouble under german data protection law.

So because at the moment I dont know wether all users of an instance will give their permissions, I need this switch.

By the way. I noticed that using this switch in the off-position will lead the user with an admin role to the network instance, starting e.g as teacher from his own instance. Is that intended?

Greetings
Frank

In reply to Frank Dressler

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Frank, I think that your legal issue is correctly handled by the capability "remotelogin". You should grant this capability only to users who give you the agreement.
In reply to Peter Bulmer

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Though I can see Peter's use case here, it must be said that you actually rely on a bug. If "auto create users" was off, enrolment plugin should not be able to create user accounts.

I would say, at the moment, the home server can control remotelogin capability. We shall sketch up some solid and scalable framework for granular access control to MNet services. Note that we will probably need at least three dimensional cube of settings: users X remote hosts X services. So that you can, for example, allo User1 to roam to Remote1 and use the service Service1 there, or something like that...