FTPing to my moodledata in Moodle 2.0

FTPing to my moodledata in Moodle 2.0

by Pieterjan Heyse -
Number of replies: 4
At the moment I am using ftp to occasionally fill some courses with their files and rsync to sync some folders with folders in the moodledata tree. This is all working like a charm!

Up comes moodle 2.0 -I installed it today- with the new and shiny file API. Good greifs! my moodledata got all mangled up in some weird way, and I cannot use my scripts anymore...

Wait... I''ll use the "fiel system" plugin, but the problems are not solved by this plugin. I cannot seem to simply use FTP to upload a whole bunch of files into a course, nor can I just rsync folders of the moodledata tree.

Ofcourse, I'm ranting here, trying to be humorous, but is there a solution to my problem and aren't you guys (devvers) afraid that all hell will break loose with 2.0, when alle those customish things break?

Just 2 cents in this big bag'o money

PJ
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pieterjan Heyse

Re: FTPing to my moodledata in Moodle 2.0

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes, scripts that directly screw around with files behind the scenes using ftp/rsync will break. The best replacement we will have is WebDav access to the files. Either that or the web service API.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Dan Poltawski -
I think it'd be a good idea to create a repository plugin which just points to a standard on disk filesystem, to be a 'dropbox' which people can use like they do now (maybe ill find some time to write one!).

Although I don't think that would help the use case of copying a whole directory across for use, maybe that is something which needs to be thought about (for a html resource with media?)
In reply to Dan Poltawski

by Marcus Hoberg -

Hi Dan,

as a moodle admin with course responsibility, 50% of my daily work is working via FTP in the moodledata tree. 

From time to time I´m installing and testing moodle 2.0 dev. How do I work with WebDAV?

Best Regards,

Marcus