Cannot restore

Cannot restore

by Mitch K -
Number of replies: 5
Recently, I have installed Moodle at my website and I am trying to restore a lesson from another site into my website. I have three lessons and two had no problem to restore. But there is one which I cannot restore, no matter how many times I tried. I cannot restore all backups. But the lesson itself is working fine on the old moodle. Therefore, I do not know why I cannot restore this particular lesson.

I am getting a message as:
  • Creating temporary structures
  • Deleting old data
  • Copying zip file
  • Unzipping backup
Then, nothing is happening. I am really stuck and need help!

My system information is:

Moodle: 1.9.4 + (Build: 2009.4.29)

moodle
docs.gifversion 1.0 is required and you are running 1.9.4 OK
unicode
docs.gifmust be installed and enabled OK
database mysql docs.gifversion 4.1.16 is required and you are running 5.0.51 OK
php
docs.gifversion 4.3.0 is required and you are running 5.2.4

Does anyone have any idea why I cannot restore or any advice where I should look?

Thank you very much in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mitch K

Not a lesson but a course.

by Mitch K -
I wrote as "I am trying to restore a lesson from another site into my website" but it should be I am trying to restore a course from another site into my website. I am sorry.

Hope someone can help me to solve this problem.
In reply to Mitch K

Re: Cannot restore

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

Please see the advice given in our Backup and restore FAQ.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Mitch K -
Thank you very much.

I have tried to set the Moodle to use the external zip program. Firstly, I asked the technical service about it and I was told there is a service "Archive Gateway." I did not understand very much but anyway, I created folders of bin and unzip and set the unzip path as /home/bin/unzip and got tick. May be this process is completely wrong.

Server -> System Paths and

Then, now it seems that the restoration go a bit further as I now I get the following alert rather than stopping at Unzipping backup.
  • Creating temporary structures
  • Deleting old data
  • Copying zip file
  • Unzipping backup
  • Checking for BlackBoard export
  • Checking backup
Error checking backup file. moodle.xml not found at root level of zip file.

An error has ocurred

However, if I unzip the backup file on the local computer, there is moodle.xml in the folder. The unzipped folder contains, moodle.xml, course_files(folder), moddate(folder), site_files(folder), user_files(folder)

Do you have any idea what is wrong?

In reply to Mitch K

by Paul Magnall -
I recently did something similar, restoring courses from one site to another. Most of it went well but a couple of large courses would hang whilst restoring. Then I realised that there was a limit on the size of course that could be restored. After increasing the settings the courses restored without any problem.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Paul Magnall

by Mitch K -
May I ask you where I can increase the settings of the course?

I have been trying to find it but I cannot find it.

Thank you very much in advance.