New additions to Quizport - proof-of-concept / comments please

Re: New additions to Quizport - proof-of-concept / comments please

by Philippe Decloitre -
Number of replies: 8

It's great reading about the abilities of quizport guys!

I'd like to join in the fun bt I've tried installing the QPort module (by copying the unzipped elements into the Moodle/mod folder.

But when I get to the admin page and then the 'Modules' entry I see nothing but the old activities. I'm running the latest version of Moodle 1.9.

Thanks for  your help.

In reply to Philippe Decloitre

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Phillipe,
did you login as admin, visit the notifications page and see a lot of messgaes about creating QuizPort tables in the database?

By the way, the initial stage of Qedoc functionality is not quite finished yet so it is not included in the zip download yet. It should be available pretty soon. 

Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Philippe Decloitre -

Hello Gordon,

Yes I logged in as Admin, but the notification block does not show anything new compared to before copying the files.

In other words I have no elements to believe Moodle even 'knows' there is news!

Regards

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
QuizPort is installed like any other activity module, so it should be simple.

If you haven't installed a 3rd-party module before you might find the following page useful:
If that doesn't help you, please go through these questions and let me know the number of the first question to which you answer "no":
  1. Are you sure the quizport folder is in the mod folder?
  2. Are you sure it is not empty?
  3. Does it have the right permissions for the server to access it?
  4. If you log in to Moodle as an Admin, can you see QuizPort listed on Site Administration -> Modules -> Activities -> Manage activities
  5. On the Manage activities page, is the Hide/Show icon an open eye?
  6. Can you see QuizPort listed on the Add an activity menu in the section of the course where you want to add a QuizPort

If you answered "no" to any of the above questions, try the following:
  • put the following code into a file called quizport.lib in the Moodle lang/en_utf8 directory:
    <?php
    $string['modulename'] = 'QuizPort';
    $string['modulenameplural'] = 'QuizPorts';
    ?>
  • login as Admin and go to the Site Administration -> Notifications page
Gordon

by Philippe Decloitre -

Hello Gordon,

Here is the check list status:

1. Are you sure the quizport folder is in the mod folder? Yes
  2. Are you sure it is not empty? Yes
  3. Does it have the right permissions for the server to access it? Yes
  4. If you log in to Moodle as an Admin, can you see QuizPort listed on Site Administration -> Modules -> Activities -> Manage activities No
  5. On the Manage activities page, is the Hide/Show icon an open eye? NOT LISTED
  6. Can you see QuizPort listed on the Add an activity menu in the section of the course where you want to No

Besides when I log as admin I get a glimpse (2 tenth of a sec.) of a page I cannot have access to: (see file capture, thanks to printscreen pressed right on time).

When you refer to the ''notifications page'' do your refer to the page with the block containing the "Modules -> Activities -> Manage activities " or to the "glimpse" page?

If I click on the "notifications" link, it leads me to moodle/admin/index.php which is a blank page on my system.

Hope that helps

Thanks again

Philippe

by Gordon Bateson -
> If you log in to Moodle as an Admin, can you see QuizPort listed on
> Site Administration -> Modules -> Activities -> Manage activities
> No

I see. The QuizPort is not yet installed on your server.

> When you refer to the ''notifications page'' do your refer to the page
> with the block containing the "Modules -> Activities -> Manage activities" ..

I refer to this: Site Administration -> Notifications

> If I click on the "notifications" link, it leads me to
> moodle/admin/index.php which is a blank page on my system

Then something is causing an error. Does your Apache or PHP error log report the error? If you delete the mod/quizport folder do you still get the error?

I just tried reinstalling QuizPort on Moodle 1.9 from the zip file currently available on my server and there was no problem, so I think you have something on your server which is blockng the QuizPort installation.

Do you have any other 3rrd-party blocks or module on your Moodle site?

Gordon

by Philippe Decloitre -

Hello gordon.

No I have no other 3rd party file whatsoever.

I tried your ''quizport.lib'' file but Moodle dit not budge.

I then tried to rename (in the "mod" folder) one of the folders in place ("chat" for example; I changed it to "chat_old").

Well, Moodle saw that and the "Notifications" page showed the process; It showed how Moodel was trying to upgrade to this new comer (it failled of course).

I tried changing the name of "Hotpot" to "Quizport". That failed too but Moodle did change the icon in the Modules block (so I got to see the new green ticker, but nothing else,as nothing would work quite the same!).

I'm back to normal now_ Quizportless. The server log does not say much.

Any idea?

Thanks  for your help.

Philippe

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Phillipe

1. Remove the "mod/quizport"folder
  2. Remove the "lang/en_utf8/quizport.lib" file
    =======================
  3. Do you have any QuizPort tables in your database?
    If so delete them.
  4. Do you have a QuizPort record in the "modules" table?
    If so delete it.
    =======================
  5. Enable PHP error reporting on your site: Switch on debugging
  6. Check that you can view the Site administration -> Notifications page
    If not, you need to discover the source of the error that is preventing display of this page.
    You will not be able to install QuizPort until you clear this error.
    =======================
  7. Download the latest zip file of the QuizPort module ...
    QuizPort module for Moodle 1.4 - 1.9
    and unzip it in the "mod" folder of your Moodle site to create a new folder called "mod/quizport"
  8. Now re-display the Site administration -> Notifications page again and report what happens

Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
Dear HotPot Moodlers, QuizPort Moodlers,
please welcome the Qedoc Moodlers!

James and I have been working feverishly away at the QuizPort - Qedoc collaboration and we have to the point where you can add your Qedoc module to Moodle as QuizPort activity, run the Qedoc module through the Qedoc player and the results will be returned to Moodle where QuizPort will store them in the database, ready to be displayed later in results and reports.

To try the new functionality, you will need a Qedoc user id (available free from qedoc.org) and then you will need the latest version of QuizPort:
You will notice form the above link that QuizPort is now compatible with all Moodles back to the earliest publicly available version.

This has been achieved by "smartening up" the API of the earlier Moodles, rather than "dumbing down" the functionality of QuizPort. The result is that you can enjoy all the subtle finery of QuizPort whatever version of Moodle you are running.

This will be particular appealing to administrators of heavily customized Moodle sites who dread the thought of upgrading to a new version of Moodle and re-doing all their customizations. You don't need to upgrade to install QuizPort. You can run it just as you are.

In addition, developers of educational authoring software such as Hot Potatoes and Qedoc are offered a stable and consistent API to which their software can interface via QuizPort to Moodle. This was my dream 2 years ago and I am very excited to see it coming to fruition.

BTW, QuizPort will work with Moodle 2.0 as soon as I get my head round the new way of storing files.

best regards to all
Gordon