SAP Moodle Integration

SAP Moodle Integration

by Piers Harding -
Number of replies: 3
Hello all -

Over the last few months I have been working on integration between Moodle and SAP.

One of the key steps in this was enabling PHP integration with SAP. This first hurdle has been jumped with a new Netweaver RFC connector (read more here http://www.piersharding.com/blog/archives/2009/01/sapnwrfc_for_ph.html and herehttps://forums.sdn.sap.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1208671&tstart=0).

The second hurdle is integrating login, and this has been sorted out with mod auth sap available via here: http://www.piersharding.com/blog/archives/2009/02/moodle_integrat.html.

From here, it is a matter of determining the level of integration required for various SAP HR business functions.

Cheers,
Piers Harding.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Piers Harding

Re: SAP Moodle Integration

by Jayne Bachelor -

Hi Piers,

I am working on a blended learning strategy for a client and they are having issues with SAP HR and Moodle integration. I notice this post is from 2009, is there any new information I can look at for them. I am not sure at this stage what version of Moodle they are using.

Regards,

Jayne.

In reply to Jayne Bachelor

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Jayne, your response to Piers' question  is actually a little delayed, like by seven years. You need, sometimes, to be very careful of trying to revive such discussions, the person may have moved on. In this case, it looks like Piers has not logged into Moodle for nearly two years, but his web page is still available. It does not look, however, that it is still active. While it may seem he is still involved with SAP there is no mention of Moodle, and what is worse, his last post on his site seems to be about the same time as his last login to Moodle, and Google+ goes back to even further than that. 

As I understand it, one story I have heard is that SAP were unwilling to involve themselves in any project with Moodle, for whatever reason, but most likely due to Moodle being Open Source. I do not know how true that is, but it has never happened. 

The more probable story is that it has been unlikely that the Moodle Devs have been able to gain access to an SAP database tool to develop a database interface layer for SAP products. The DBIL is a tremendously complex thing and with the multitude of SQL rules developed by individual companies for their products, either overriding the current SQL standards or ignoring the standards almost altogether, without that access it is likely impossible for anyone to be able to develop an SAP backend for Moodle. (As well, I strongly suspect, this is why there is only four supported databases, PostGreSQL, MySQL/Maria DB, MSSQL and Oracle, the Devs may not be willing to develop a new DBIL, but who knows.)       

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Jayne Bachelor -
Hi Colin,

Thanks for your reply, I was afraid that I was clutching at straws trying to revive that discussion. Thank you also for your information, I will take this too my client for their IT people. 

Kind regards,

Jayne.