Iphone/iPod Touch app idea

Iphone/iPod Touch app idea

by Chris Eatough -
Number of replies: 16
At the moment the school I work at uses Moodle for Online Text Assignments, calendar events and accessing Word documents/PowerPoint presentations. Is there anybody who has attempted this before? To start with I am visualizing an app that lets you see your own and other course participants profiles, with a link through to their blog, and a calendar (to see when assignments are due!) and forum posts.

This links in with a New Years resolution to learn Objective-C (coming from a C++/C#/Java background this hopefully won't take too long), any thoughts/suggestions on this?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Eatough

Re: Iphone/iPod Touch app idea

by Alexandre Enkerli -
Excellent idea! If I were a coder, I'd tried to help stuff for the App Store. In this case, it could help Moodle itself.
Though it's far from perfect, the Facebook app could be a fairly good model for this.

Speaking of iPhone and iPod touch, it'd be great if Moodle pages were optimized for Safari mobile. That part is done in CSS and it can make things much easier for a number of people.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I've been thinking about this for some time ... I think it would be better in the short term to work on a mobile web version rather than a full-blown app. (Even though it's a lot of fun thinking about what you could do with all the native OS features!) I'm imagining something like the "My Moodle" page but much prettier and more structured.

My bank has a great interface for iphone that is really useful. I'd like Moodle sites to be navigable that way too.

It would be nice to chat about what the interface should look like.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Iphone App idea - Project funding bid / partner opportunity

by Roger Emery -
Hi All,

I have the opportunity to bid for some internal project funding (which I have been successful in bidding for in the past). Its not a huge pot but hopefully enough to get a beta iPhone Moodle App together.

The key objective: Enhance mobile learning for students both campus based and non-campus based through the development of an iPhone Moodle/VLE App

The skeleton 'techy' outcomes are listed below - obviously there will be primary and book research to look at the pedagogic and user requirements/experience side of things ( I really like the updated facebook App, by the way)

So, what I'm hoping to end up with is (these are broad ideas):

1. Solent VLE iPhone App

1a. Moodle App in Solent branding/language
  • Something along the lines of the solent 'my' page (clicky-clciky) which is having a revamp as we speak
  • recent activity on all subscribed units
  • up and coming events
  • online users / messages
  • access to all subscribed units
  • access to profile
1b. also non-moodle info such as
  • course catalogue (prospectus plus short courses inc our maritime academy)
  • live timetable
  • campus map - (GPS based would be cool wouldn't it wink
  • library search
  • news / events etc

2. Generic Moodle iPhone App
  • unbranded version of (1a) for anyone to use - however, have to think carefully about how it connects to servers etc

3. Distribution of (2) in a format that is easy to customise to local university/college branding for their own distribution

4. Research into developing (1) for other mobile platform Apps (eg Android etc)

(1a) and (1b) could potentially split into two separate Apps - a VLE App and a marketing/prospectus App

--
So what I'm looking for is:
  • some input / opinion / shouting down / encouragement to shape this beast into something usable.
  • Expressions of interest from any potential partner institutions to divide and conquer the development and strengthen my bid application
What I hopefully will have to offer (other than potentially 2 and 3 at the end)
  • Hopefully some funding for a developer to help this on its way

• An in-house Solent developer and myself (not sure what use the latter will be!)
Time scales:
Bid submission 30th Sept
Development period Nov '09 - June '10 (doesn't need to take this long to do, just the funding end point)

Waddya think?

I can be contacted off-list by email (below)

Roger

Roger Emery
Learning Systems Developer

Learning Technology Unit (LTU)
Southampton Solent University
East Park Terrace
Southampton
Hampshire
SO14 0YN

Telephone: +44 (0)23 80319778
Fax: +44 (0)23 8022 2259
Email: roger.emery@solent.ac.uk
In reply to Roger Emery

Re: Iphone App idea - Project funding bid / partner opportunity

by Paul M -
as a daily iPhone user and wannabe iPhone app developer I think it is an outstanding idea and you already have some good concepts of framework. I would say from experience that section 1b has limitless potential for "scope creep" so you'll want to narrow that down into specifics or if you are going to work with partners on those items, get them to be exact in terms of the scope, expected results, milestones and delivery.

I also think Android is important. While I'm a Macaholic and commited to iPhone, not everyone is (especially outside of the US and UK) and Apple is getting into this walled garden type notion of evolving their company and software. You see this with iPhone, iTunes and even with how they've resisted Flash on the iPhone browser.

I don't know that I could commit to a development partnership but if I were the key elements that I could contribute would be in the areas of UI (user interface) and design; cms integration/development (such as Joomla and Drupal) and in e-commerce although I'm not sure there is an e-com tie-in here. But I have a lot of experience in these areas going back 15+ years.

Either way, I'd be interested in the development of your project either as a contributor or spectator and potential customer.

Paul
In reply to Paul M

by Roger Emery -
Hi Paul - thanks for your reply (and John)

The (1b) section is the very localised unique 'Solent' bit that would need to be bespoke to our variety of proprietary and in-house systems here and I wouldn't expect this part to be developed in partnership, but would be happy to share the results.
I appreciate the potential for scope creep on this as well (especially if marketing get ideas!)

(1a) is the bit that has potential benefit for the moodle community should anyone wish to go down the i-Apps route.

Thinking this through a bit further and with reference to John's comments about Moodle Mobile project - I see this App initially as a tool to deliver moodle alerts/messages/latest forum postings/what am I doing/where am I going/messages and communications type thing (for version 1 anyway) and less of a mobile learning tool (ie doing quizzes, downloading content, interacting with activities).
Also, probably fairly shallow initially as to what sits in the App interface before the user clicks though to the full moodle web interface (although a browser detect for iphone and an appropriately styled theme would be part of the experience once into moodle).

For instance, messages could be read/composed/sent all within the App interface as it is a simple task, but an alert such as "your tutor has graded your work and left comments and a feedback file" may just display a summary, before the user clicks through to the full moodle web interface to see the results.
The line between App and Web interface would be different for each activity/resource type, but there is no reason the line could not moved to bring more into the App over time.

As Martin suggested back up the page somewhere, a starting point of the 'my' page seems a good place the begin as an in-the-pocket top level summary of the student's course/units and what's going on in them while they sit on the bus in the morning.

Roger

In reply to Roger Emery

by John Andrewartha -
Hi Roger,
Thanks for the clarification. My main interest is mobile moodeling using PDA as a teaching aid. Your idea is should be well received. You realise you are probebly going to start a new craze and possible a twitter something along the lines of mootweet big grin.
John
In reply to Roger Emery

by Roger Emery -
Hi All,

Afraid there is no project money forthcoming for this.

However, that's not going to stop me working on the idea - it'll just take a bit more time.....

Roger

by Chris Eatough -
I do have some drawings of what the app interface could look like (I was thinking of a Facebook style app too!), I'll get some mockups done on the computer and post them up here asap.

It would be great to hear interface ideas for a mobile web version as well as a touch app

by Ron Meske -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Mobile devices are definitely being pushed as a learning tool. As a business we are already in the process of modifying the templates we use for developing web based training to be more flexible for mobile devices. A theme that would make Moodle more accessible through a mobile device would be great.

Here is an article on one university that is supporting mobile devices, including the iPhone/iTouch. There is a link to a youtube demo as well as their web site.

http://www.xplanazine.com/2008/03/mobile-learning-developments-aiu-incorporates-lms-features-with-iphone-itouch

And another article on four university's giving out iPhones or iTouchs

http://www.ismashphone.com/2008/08/the-four-school.html

And for anyone interested, there is a Mobile Learning Conference Feb 16 & 17 in Washington, D.C. http://www.mobilelearning09.org/index.html

Is there this type of push for mobile learning in other countries as well?

In reply to Ron Meske

by P P -
Well this heavily depends on the availability of wifi in the countries. I do not have an up to date stat, but it may take some time to have it everywhere, including rural areas.
In reply to P P

by Alexandre Enkerli -
Isn't this where the XOXO concept could help? After all, one wouldn't need full Internet access if local devices did MESH networking. Plus, Moodle can work on a relatively slow machine.

by Ron Wright -

I would be very interested in working on this.  I ran across this thread doing a google search to see if anyone had started any work in this area.  I guess my timing was pretty good!  I look forward to seeing your interface ideas and will start making notes on my own.

by Ali Ozgur -
MoodleTouch (mTouch), the first and the only native IPhone/Ipod Touch app for moodle will be released next week on the AppStore.

For details please visit www.moodletouch.com.

mTouch also has "try before you buy" free windows version so that you can see mTouch in action and check if your Moodle is compatible with mTouch.

NOTE: mTouch requires no server side hacking or styling.