VLE grudge match: Moodle vs Bb vs Angel

by Richard Treves -
Number of replies: 20

I guess my project is in an odd position at the moment, working for Southampton University we have access to Bb at no cost to our project.  We are preparing a course for Penn State Uni which gives us access to Angel in the same way.  My boss has asked me to install part of our course on all three to compare so we can choose a VLE.  There are various student support and registration issues going on in the background and I suspect those will lead us to use Angel in the short term but its still an interesting exercise.

From the VLE we link to our content on another server and quizzes are wrapped up in the content.  This means it was remarkably easy to create a course in any of the 3 VLEs.  With a bit of playing what comes out is that the commercial packages have more options and the option of site maps but Moodle has less pages to get lost in and (IMHO) the blocks work better than the other VLEs navigation.  The way Moodle puts forums, assessment and content all in a block is also an advantage.

Seeing the bigger picture my choice would be Moodle because of the ability to customise the code if we want to and because I think its going to develop in a more interesting direction than the other two but I think I've lost that argument for the moment.

Just thought anyone who hasn't seen Bb or Angel (like I hadn't until last week) might be interested.  I also wondered if anyone who has used more than 1 of these VLEs for a course could add had some observations about how the VLEs compare, I'm especially interested in hearing about how choices and journals work in Bb and Angel

Richard

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Treves

Re: VLE grudge match: Moodle vs Bb vs Angel

by Tony Hursh -
We use a lot of different technologies in our program (by design; since our students are practicing teachers we like to expose them to a wide variety of stuff). We don't have any formal results yet, since we're still collecting and analyzing data, but our "gut feeling" is that our students and faculty prefer Blackboard, then Moodle, then WebCT. We think that the preference for Blackboard is due to the students and faculty having a lot of experience with that platform (though having experience doesn't seem to enhance the perception of WebCT smile).

That may well change with future student cohorts; the cohort that entered this summer has used Moodle from day one, and they seem to be quite fond of it (especially since I've set up a separate server they can use to create their own online classes).

In terms of our support staff, we all love Moodle. We won't use WebCT or Bb by choice (although we all prefer Bb to WebCT). The same holds true for the faculty who've actually used Moodle for a class. They think Moodle's great.

I'm not familiar with Angel.
In reply to Tony Hursh

by Gunther Dippe -
This is probably a quite reasonable and valid argument why one will never find "a best LMS".

At our faculty (of education) students are used to FirstClass and introducing Moodle or anything else to them will only cause confusion and frustration. You have to start from the very beginning with new students if you want to introduce a new LMS.

The lesson to learn is that features of an LMS are but a small fraction of the total picture when choosing an LMS. You need a systemic approach to succeed. This is why I find matrices comparing whether feature x is present in LMS A or LMS B are more or less useless.

You can't start digging for water in the desert even if you have the best of machines available. You have to know where to dig first of all. Simple but most of us are fumbling in the dark as if we were blind when it comes to something that is only slightly beyond our experience. Transferability of knowledge and experience are usually much overestimated. We all live in our own tiny bubbles.

Get the big picture first. When you understand it then it is time for the details.

In reply to Gunther Dippe

by Richard Treves -

Thanks for your inputs on this.  Interesting to hear that moodle is the easiest of moodle/bb/WebCT to support Tony.  I'm also not surprised to hear that both of you quote previous use of VLEs as being important to students, no one ever likes learning a new application when they have got used to an old one.  The students we will be teaching have used Angel up to now so IMHO that we should use Angel unless we have a very good reason not to.

The content and teaching is what really makes a good online course and VLE options are much less important.  However, I hope our content and teaching will be excellent whatever the VLE which makes the comparison of features worthwhile. 

Richard

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Tony Hursh -
the cohort that entered this summer has used Moodle from day one, and they seem to be quite fond of it

And we now have some data to back that up. We just got the student course evaluation from this cohort, and several of them specifically mentioned Moodle as a strength of the course. Most of them will be taking a Blackboard course this fall. It will be interesting to see if the previous preference for Blackboard is reversed. I'm betting that it will be.

by James Payne -
Hello Richard,

I am a student at Shippensburg University doing an internship at the Tuscarora Intermediate Unit. Until three weeks ago I had never heard of Moodle and had only breifly seen Blackboard. My task here has been to compare the two. I am now closing in on the end of my internship and have come to the conclusion that there is almost no differnce in functionality between BB and Moodle. The biggest reason to convert to Moodle is the coustoming the code. So in my final report it turns out not to be a question of programming, but of bussiness. The TIU will need to empoly a programmer or two which will offset the cost of the BB fees. I would like to use your statment of the personal preffernce of the VLE if you don't mind. Sorry about the ramble.

Thanks
Jim
In reply to James Payne

by Richard Treves -

No problem. You could also quote me 'and there's some very nice people prepared to help at moodle.org'  smile

Richard

by James Payne -
Thanks Richard,

I have tried to dispell the idea that there is on support in place if they leave BB for Moodle. The people are split 50/50 on the move at this time. I of their problems is they no don't employ any programmers at this time, so they would have to add one or two people to their staff.

Thanks for your help

Jim
In reply to James Payne

by Tony Hursh -
James, you can absolutely run Moodle without hiring programmers, so that's not really an issue. It's very easy to maintain.

In reply to Tony Hursh

by James Payne -
Hi Tony,

Yea, I tried to bring that up. Informing them that the support is already there and that they would not have to hire a programer, but if they go with Moodle I think the BB fee will just goto their salaries. I also think they may be looking at other things for the programmer as well.

Thanks
Jim

P.S. Moodle.org has been a big help!!

Moodle vs Bb

by George Kao -

You may be interested in my comparison of Moodle vs. Blackboard:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=9345

I'm with a small (but rapidly growing) school that currently has 55 students and 15 faculty, and we have a very active online component.  We were using Blackboard (supplied to us free) last year, and now I am helping complete the transition over to Moodle.

In reply to George Kao

Re: Moodle vs Bb

by Richard Treves -

Hi George,

Thanks for that, made for interesting reading.

was it a loss leader to let you have BB for free?

Richard

In reply to George Kao

by James Payne -
Thanks George,

I have read you comparison, and found it very helpful.
If you not mind I would like to inculded it in the paper and presentation I am making. Moodle is a better program in my opionion. If you or anyone else is intrested I could send a copy of my reports to you in total its looking like 16-17 pages for the IU here.

Thanks Again
Jim
In reply to James Payne

by Jill Kaminski -

I'd like it very much if you'd post that here, Jim.

Thanks! I have a feeling my district will be making a move toward a CMS in the near future, and I have a feeling they'll be making a poor choice!

In reply to Jill Kaminski

by Patrick Ragan -

HI Jill

As I said I have bee taking a stroll through Moodle.org and say your interest in CMS, just wondering where you are with this project as the organisation I am with has just built an interface for our federated digital repository for Moodle.

Let me know if your still are interested?

cheers

Patrick

In reply to Patrick Ragan

Digital Repository Integrated with Moodle

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
>>...the organisation I am with has just built an interface for our federated digital repository for Moodle

Pardon? (with a pleasantly shocked expression). Could you explain more details about your digital repository integrating with Moodle? Is this proprietory or open source? This is big news for me, Patrick. smile
In reply to Don Hinkelman

Re: Digital Repository Integrated with Moodle

by Richard Wyles -

I'm also very keen to know more - this one is on our To Do list - using FOSS naturally.

cheers

Richard

In reply to James Payne

Moodle vs Bb

by Ken Spell -
Yes, James, I too am writing a report and making a presentation. I would very much like to look at what you have written.

If you think to ask, I don't believe my report would be of interest to you as it is specific to our university e.g. tech support is problematic and poorly marketed among the university instructors. As such, aside from recommending a typical set of training interventions, I will also be recommending improvements in the marketing and distribution of their advertisements for training, documentation, and tech support. That's it.

by Ken Spell -
Hello Richard;

Collected some negative data from university instructors using Blackboard: problems with the gradebook, quizes, email, and other technical problems. About 20% of the sample mentioned technical problems with Bb in a general sense. But there was no mention of journals or choices specifically. Also, some of the more experienced instructors who use many of Bb's modules said that Bb is fine and the glitches are minor.

I'm curious, though, about your experience with the 3 VLEs. I'm new to Moodle and Bb and have taken a liking to Moodle, but I'm technically just an amateur. I have two major concerns about workshops and comparisons. Sure would appreciate some insight, if you are willing.

1) Comparisons:
http://www.edutools.info/course/compare/compare.jsp?product=232,234,144
I think you are right on target about what I understand you mean in that the proprietary programs (Angel and Bb) don't put forums, assessment and content all in one block as Moodle does. In fact, I believe this aspect and the fact that Moodle sends members of a particular threaded discussion emails whenever anyone responds to the same threaded discussion--believe this is the beauty of the program's constructionist epistemology. It allows users to constructively explore the various activities within a given block simply because they are only a click away. Then, especially because of emails that are sent out with each response to an elected threaded discussion, the program enables users to socially construct knowledge through forum dicussions. I have a touch time presenting this perspective because the proprietary programs also have forums, assessment and content. Do they also email each member of a specific threaded discussion each time a reply is entered? Is this the entire perspective of the social constructivist theory?

1) Workshops. I'm planning to recommend workshops and online training (movies, animations, and procedural documents for each module within Moodle as well as an online movie to orient users to the Moodle interface). However, I would like to recommend that the length of the current 6-hour, week long Bb workshops be reduced to merely 3 2-hour sequenced Moodle workshops by focusing on orienting instructors with simultaneous hands on instruction. Currently, the Bb instruction consists of about 2-3 hours of classroom instruction followed by 3-4 hours of free time to practice what they've learned. There is little tech support, tutorials, procedures, or even online training, mostly because of poor advertising.

Our training department teaches students and instructors to use a variety of software programs, advanced programs, such as MS Access, Adobe PhotoShop, Dreamweaver, etc. by orienting them to the interface of each application, and introducing them to the tools. The intermediate workshop quickly goes over the main points of the beginning workshop and then covers more advanced features. The advanced workshop follows a similar progression.

If one adds online training (movies, procedural Word documents) to the Moodle interface to both orient users to interact with the Moodle interface as well as set up each and every module as well as functionally connect them into a Moodle lesson and course, I believe the shorter workshops would be enough given the online reinforcement.

However, I don't know the intricacies of setting up a course in Moodle or Bb, so if you are willing, I would certainly appreciate your insight into this recommendation for a shorter set of training workshops.
In reply to Ken Spell

by Patrick Ragan -

HI Ken

Just been walking back through Moodle.org trying to understand where people are with using Moodle and was very interested in this thread and was just wondering where you are with the whole subject of VLEs  have you chosen one, is it implemented etc.I Would love to hear from you.

Cheers

Patrick